Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Child of Light, Trailer and Release Date

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Child of Light; Ubisoft

I'm not sure if we have covered Child of Light before. A 2D platformer-RPG with a turn-based combat system, plenty of skills, crafting, and a focus on puzzles. It may be a bit JRPG-ish, but dammit, this trailer won me over:

The youtube page for the trailer also reveals a release date: April 30th.

Here's a snippet from an older press release, explaining what the hell it's about:

Child of Light is a reimagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria. Players will uncover mysteries, participate in turn-by-turn combat inspired by classic JRPGs, and explore the mystical kingdom. The game puts players in the shoes of Aurora, a child stolen from her home, who, in her quest to return, must bring back the sun, the moon and the stars held captive by the mysterious Queen of the Night. Helped by her companion Igniculus the firefly and several unlikely allies, Aurora will face her darkest fears, including dragons and other mystical creatures in this modern take on a coming-of-age story.​

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks p. slow and boring. Not a big fan of the art or premise either.

This looks like it would be more at home on the 3DS or something.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
When they say "200+ skills to unlock" and then show stuff like "+3 magic", "+2 magic", "+5 defense", they're just taking the piss, right? By that logic Mass Effect 1 has over a hundred skills.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
When they say "200+ skills to unlock" and then show stuff like "+3 magic", "+2 magic", "+5 defense", they're just taking the piss, right? By that logic Mass Effect 1 has over a hundred skills.
I almost fell from my seat when she combined 3 gems into another gem. 600+ CRAFTING COMBINATIONS

Murk

Arcane
p sure the art is the only thing really going for it; combat looked... well, basic jrpg shit. Crafting/skills -- what they said. Art looked neat but the animation looked borderline south parkish.

Donno, this looks like a gimmick or tablet game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminds me of Aquaria. With jRPG combat.

They're definitely throwing numbers around as if they meant anything. I still have no idea if the core gameplay is fun. It could be. So I might try this.

Jetblack

Literate
Is this a joke? It looks like a kids bedtime story told in animation. Looks like a cheapo walt disney rip-off. Oh right Ubisoft game...what a joke.

Last game of theirs i bought was SH5, the biggest pile of wank i have ever played.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't understand why these new turn-based jRPG's (made by western devs!) can't add some basic things like movement, etc. Even some old turn-based jRPG's had that.

I do like the art. :codexisfor:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Art looks pretty good, but 200+ generic skills and 600+ generic crafting combos is really not something to brag about.

Apexeon

Arcane
Jrpg Yawn.
Nice art but I wonder how big the art team is.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Involves the pretentious hack who wrote Far Cry 3, avoid like plague.

Game looks kind of boring, do like the art style though.

Will this have the AIDS better known as Uplay?
Serious question: is there any game released by Ubisoft since Uplay went live that isn't infected with it?
Rayman Origins if I'm not mistaken.
And South park Stick of Truth won't have it. obsidian tweeted. But those cum guzzling corporate faggots (No offence Jaesun ) had to infect Might and Magic X with their cancer.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Just wondering, whats the difference between uplay and steam? Both run in the background i gather, uplay is french?
ever since steam introduced client achievements/badges, trading cards, item crates and the marketplace uplay is the less retarded of the two, despite having a system that gives you points for specific achievements which you then use to unlock features already present in your game but locked.

Snozgobler

Educated
Just wondering, whats the difference between uplay and steam? Both run in the background i gather, uplay is french?

Uplay and Steam are the same in as much as they are both proprietary software that are required to play the games produced by their owners (Uplay required for newer Ubisoft games, Steam required for newer Valve games). They double as shops for games produced by other companies, and they both act as DRM for your games libraries. Uplay offers achievements/benefits to playing Ubisoft games on their platform by adding in their "Actions and Rewards" system which is basically an achievement system that unlocks things like extra costumes in Assassin's Creed and an extra dungeon in M&MX:L, but unlike steams achievement system, it only applies to Ubisoft games.

The biggest difference is that Uplay is newer and doesn't have as many features as Steam. It also goes offline more often. Currently Uplay is in it's fourth version and hopefully as time goes by the system will improve enough to be comparable in options/reliability as steam, but at the moment steam is considered by pretty much everyone to be the "better" platform.

At the end of the day, because Ubisoft make many more games than Valve do, it's more "obvious" to people that Uplay is a requirement for Ubisoft games, especially as the integration with Steam is all about jumping through hoops.
1 - If you want to play your game through steam, steam has to launch Uplay before the game will start.
2 - If you want to launch your game through Uplay, Uplay has to launch steam, which then connects to Uplay and starts your game.

I'm sure there are reasons for that, but from an end user point of view, it just seems like a lot of unnecessary work. If you're a whiner (as many on the internet are), then it's an issue, if you're not, then you'll just tell both platforms to remember you details and they'll start themselves when you need them xD.

With all that said, Uplay was offline for a few hours yesterday, so lots of people couldn't play their games and there was much rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom