Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Runemaster Preview at The Escapist

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Paradox Interactive; Runemaster

Greg Tito from The Escapist was invited to the headquarters of Paradox Development Studio, where he got to see an early build of the recently announced Runemaster. Here's what he has to say about it:

Johan Andersson helped make Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II, but he's been keen to create this RPG for years.

There aren't many games that tap into the rich mythology of Scandinavia, and definitely not to the extent that Runemaster does. And even though the engine is the same as Paradox Development Studios' strategy titles, it's a very drastic departure from the types of games the Swedish house is known for. But that's exactly what makes it exciting for the team to try something new.

"We want to make the game that we want to play," said Johan Andersson, the studio head. He actually dreamed up the concept for Runemaster more than three years ago, and he's visibly excited to have the resources to make it now. Andersson was so jazzed to announce the game to the press at Paradox's annual conference last week that he was hopping up and down during the presentation.

After speaking to the team more closely, you can see why. Runemaster is an RPG with tactical hex-based combat. It's set across a fantasy version of the Norse world, and it deals with the end of the world, Ragnarok. You can choose the race from six choices - Human, Dwarf, Light Elf, Dark Elf, Troll and Giant - and your choice determines whether you support Loki in bringing about Ragnorak or Thor in preventing it. Of course, Ragnarok is just rebirth, not oblivion, so Loki and his followers aren't necessarily evil, they just want a new deal.

"This isn't Tolkien," said Linda Silby, producer of Runemaster. She assured me the mythology will be made as accessible to as many players as possible, even those who don't watch movies starring a Hemsworth. The game world will be littered with lore and tidbits to explore, so it's possible you will even learn something while playing Runemaster. In fact, you'll likely be a Norse expert by the time you have finished with it, because Andersson hopes you'll play the game again and again.

"The average amount of time people play our games is 190 hours," he said, getting those stats from Steam. Runemaster will be no different, even if it has a finite end that will occur around 100 hours in. That's because the story depends on random events and will conform to the choices of the player. When you start a game of Runemaster, the engine randomly generates 6 worlds such as Midgard and Svartenfell, and all of the items, events and NPCs will be different for every single playthrough. That kind of replayability is a pillar of Paradox games, and Runemaster is designed to follow suit.

We weren't able to see the combat, but Andersson told us it will not be a slog like the battles of Heroes of Might & Magic or King's Bounty. "Every battle will matter," he said, and the current plan is for you to fight not more than once every twenty minutes. On the hex grid, you'll have your player character you've been leveling up, but you'll also control different units like archers or a Giant you've recruited along the way. Facing on the hex grid will matter, as will concepts like elevation and hiding behind cover. And there will of course be the trappings of RPGs, from leveling up your character as a berserker, skald, or runemaster to collecting loot and equipping sweet, sweet randomized loots.

Everything I was told about Runemaster sounds like it will be a blast to play, and my short glimpse of the UI and the top down view of the game world certainly looked stellar, but the development is a long way from complete. The projected release window is "winter", and Runemaster could come out anywhere between December 2014 to February 2015. It's in alpha right now, and the team has a lot of design work left to do before the polishing and bug-squashing begins. Paradox has gotten better with releasing games relatively bug free but the new genre could present additional problems. If the team delivers what they outlined last week, Paradox could very well have a hit on its hands.

If not, they can just scrap it all in a code Ragnarok and start again.​

Extreme randomization, comparisons with Heroes and King's Bounty, time between fights measured in the minutes. Should we pass this one over to Tacticular Cancer, folks? Then again, maybe it's really more of a roguelike. Wonder why they aren't using that term, it's pretty hip these days.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds fucking awesome. Screenies give me a nice ExConq vibe.

I just hope the combat units will be actual UNITS, not army blobs like in HoMM\KB. Never could get into that.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm somewhat hoping that the randomisation is based more towards something that Crusader Kings would pump out, rather than, say, the recent trends of roguelike-like-like-likes and modern diablo-likes. In one playthrough, a specific quest giving jarl is sitting there without much action, and in another playthrough he's murdered by his greedy and inept bastard son that, somehow, inherited a variety of claims around him, resulting in a half dozen vassals that want to kick his arse and secure their own glorious nordic freedom.

Or you have to repeatedly capture and sacrifice christian missionaries that appear in the most inappropriate moments. Risk conversion of your allies in the midst of a deadly battle against the Jotnar!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Extreme randomization, comparisons with Heroes and King's Bounty, time between fights measured in the minutes. Should we pass this one over to Tacticular Cancer, folks? Then again, maybe it's really more of a roguelike. Wonder why they aren't using that term, it's pretty hip these days.

Andersson told us it will not be a slog like the battles of Heroes of Might & Magic or King's Bounty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Andersson told us it will not be a slog like the battles of Heroes of Might & Magic or King's Bounty.

Yes, but it's telling that they would even make that comparison, don't you see.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There aren't many games that tap into the rich mythology of Scandinavia,

Uhhh
I wouldn't say that games that tap into "hurr VIKINGS durr" really "tap into the rich mythology of Scandinavia". I would be interested to see a game that actually does the latter but the separation of dwarves and dark elves speak against Runemaster in that regard, I think.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Slog?

Oh wait, Escapist, gaming journalism etc. :retarded:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
King's Bounty is just as much a slog as HOMM games are. The amount of trash fights in it killed my will to complete the first game.

Severian Silk

Procedural generation usually sucks. In some games like Elite or Civ maybe it's OK, but generally it is awful.

AMG

Arbiter
King's Bounty is just as much a slog as HOMM games are. The amount of trash fights in it killed my will to complete the first game.
Trash fights in homm? It's a strategy game ffs, is killing creeps in Warcraft3 a trash fight?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I played that expansion mode that gave you gold, all armies unlocked and pitted you against all bosses. Finished it with a couple of strats, came away happy, never looked back.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
KB games are slogfests. Have you people even played them?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Trash fights in homm? It's a strategy game ffs, is killing creeps in Warcraft3 a trash fight?

Yes. Any fight with little (to no) strategic meaning is a trash fight. You think strategy games can't have trash fights? If Chess was HOMM, you'd spend 1 hour clearing neutral pawns before you get to eliminating opponent's pieces.

It is entirely different thing to have to consider risking your army to acquire a strategic resource than to fight a trivial battle for every resource. It varies, depending which game in the series we're talking about (or which map), but most definitely there are HOMM games where there are plenty of trash fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom