Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Blackguards Chapter 1 Released as Free Demo

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blackguards; Daedalic Entertainment

Daedalic write in to inform us that their turn-based tactical RPG Blackguards now has a free demo available, limited to the first chapter of the game. The demo even includes "advanced character creation":

A few days before the official release of Blackguards, Daedalic Entertainment opens the gates to Aventuria for everyone: the first chapter of the turn-based RPG is now available as a free demo version for PC and Mac.

This version includes all of the finalized game's features, including the advanced character creation, which has been implemented in the course of the last weeks due to feedback given during the Early Access phase. Players can use save games they created while playing the free demo in the full game as well.

A download of the demo can be found on the following pages:

www.chip.de/downloads/Demo-Blackguards_66678941.html

PC:
www.4players.de/4players.php/downlo...58550/Das_Schwarze_Auge_Blackguards/Demo.html

Mac:
www.4players.de/4players.php/downlo...9/Das_Schwarze_Auge_Blackguards/Demo_Mac.html

Blackguards will be released on January 24th, 2014 for PC and Mac online. The Standard Edition will be available for US$39.99/ €39.99/ RUR699/ £29.99 and the Blackguards Collector's Edition for US$ 59.99/ €59.99/ RUR999/ £44.99.​

I can't say how representative Chapter 1 is of the game's combat and difficulty level, but for what it's worth, most of the impressions in our Blackguards thread have been very positive so far.

Gord

Arcane
Good move, imho.
Have made my way to chapter 3 so far, I think chapter 1 is a relatively good representation of the basic principles and gameplay of the game, although chapter 3 is maybe more interesting to play. It's certainly better than chapter 2 for that purpose, though.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
With potato language :smug:
Grabbed torrent from gamershell because DL with lightspeed of one hundred kb/s is not best way to spend evening,

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I already know I want this game, but trying out the demo is a nice way to wait for the full game. :D

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Amazing. The first chapter is like 4-5 hours long on a first playthrought, and has already couple of challenging fights and interesting set pieces.

Their demo is longer than some full released games.

Mystary!

Arcane
Wait, so the demo has advanced character creation but the version I bought doesnt yet? It's the only thing keeping me from playing it at the moment.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wait, so the demo has advanced character creation but the version I bought doesnt yet? It's the only thing keeping me from playing it at the moment.
Same. When is this coming to real version?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hope they put this demo on Steam because the download linked is unbelievably slow.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
In the days of Chaos Chronicles, it's a pity Coreplay didn't work with the publishing department of Daedalic Ent.Things could have be so different.But it belongs to the past now.
Big up daedalicians & respect : Steam early access, then GOG, then a free demo.All the behave of a serious publisher.It would be perfect if now you could confirm for an outernational boxed version

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2 gigs for a demo? Well looks this like is one Euro-mess I'll never be able to confirm/deny as shovelware.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If you care for challenge you should consider playing on higher difficulty (unless it messes with the RNG, which is already bad enough as is) because normal is p. easy on this demo.

I really dislike the way character development works, I have been saving xp on two characters throghout the entire demo so I can get some special abilities that I already meet stat requirements but I haven't found anyone that teaches it and I'll only be able to learn it when the game wants due to its linear nature. I'll laugh if it's only on chapter 2

Trainers + linear game = fuck you Daedalic

This also makes combat trite as fuck but I figure it gets better later.

2 gigs for a demo? Well looks this like is one Euro-mess I'll never be able to confirm/deny as shovelware.
It's p. big for a demo though. I think it has more content than dead man's switch at least. :M

Anyway, looks like an ok game to grab at a discount.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Everything in this game has RNG out of the ass (Only exception are low spells and heal values I think). For example investing in a spell only increase the chance for it to work, they only really increase in effect after you invest the necessary number of points to level them up. Or for instance stuff like dangerous terrain instead of giving you some negative modifiers has a chance to knockdown or root the character.

P. lame design for a tactical game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom