Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Community Contest: Win a Digital Deluxe copy of Might and Magic X: Legacy!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

There was a time when the RPG Codex didn't yet know the sweet taste of Doritos and Mtn Dew. The time when Bethesda would promptly put the Codex on their blacklist* and forbid their Obsidian minions to ever post here, under a threat worse than death.

(* Still in effect, but we're working on it.)

It's been a long time, though, and things have changed. Recently, the Codex has done two previews (1, 2) of as well as an editorial report about Might and Magic X: Legacy, the new installment in the oldschool series published by a company that the Codex of yore wouldn't have hesitated to call one of the most evil publishers to ever grace the industry, Ubisoft. The new Codex's previews, however, were extremely positive, to the point of calling MMX (potentially) "the next great title in the series", a phrase that Ubisoft may or may not want to use in their next marketing video. These previews were also absolutely unbiased, of course, and by no means swayed by the generous promise of hugs, friendship, and free Steam keys.

Coincidentally, the nice folks at Ubisoft have been kind enough to give us some spare Steam keys - enough for the reviewers, everyone on the staff (except Zed), and also, since there are still some leftovers, to stage a community contest. And this is where you, dear Codexers, conveniently come in.

The rules of this community contest are simple. To be eligible for the prize - a Digital Deluxe Edition Steam key of Might and Magic X, which includes the preorder DLC and all that jazz - you need to submit, by posting it in this thread, one of the following thingies:

- A design for a Might and Magic class. The entry must include at least one MS Paint/Photoshop picture illustrating the class, plus at least a couple of sentences to describe it.

- A pitch for a turn- and party-based first person CRPG. How would you pitch a turn-based blobber to a publisher? The pitch can be just text, a video, or a slide-based presentation. It should also read like a potentially successful pitch, naturally.

- A convincing argument to play Might and Magic IX. Yes, you've heard it right: Might and Magic IX. Will you be the first person to ever come up with such an argument? (No less than a full paragraph long, of course.) The accolades, and a copy of MMX, will be all yours.​

The contest will run for the next few days, at least -- depending on how many entries we get, and how quickly. We have at least 3 Digital Deluxe Edition keys to give away as prizes. Maybe more, if the entries are good enough. Maybe less, if most entries suck. So if you'd like a Steam key for the next great title in the Might and Magic series, do join in!

P.S. Multiple entries from one person are allowed, in case you want to increase your chances of winning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

BTW Zed did the first preview, so I'm pretty sure he has a key.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Yeah... but not a DELUXE key.

How can you play the game without Day One DLC for The Complete Experience™?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah... but not a DELUXE key.

How can you play the game without Day One DLC for The Complete Experience™?

According to the tron, all keys given out before release are Deluxe. So we do, in fact, have Deluxe keys. As such, people need not be bothered with our weak attempts at humor. Especially your weird, otherwordly Swedish kind. Win-win, really.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Monty

Arcane
I assume this contest will use the same enthusiastic judges as the 'Wasteland 1 short story contest'? :hahano:

Have a few ideas, next time I'm bored and drunk I may even put them together.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hate these contests as I am most assuredly not creatively talented... :(

... but I do so enjoy reading the outlandish, shocking, and sometimes downright scary submissions from my Codex bros*... :bro:

*Would love to see the face of an Ubisoft exec reading some of these "Hum, Let's see what creative people these RPGCodex posters are........OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN!! MY EYES!!! Who are these... people! I'm so fired for allowing them to have those game keys!!"

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
- A pitch for a turn- and party-based first person CRPG. How would you pitch a turn-based blobber to a publisher? The pitch can be just text, a video, or a slide-based presentation. It should also read like a potentially successful pitch, naturally.​
oh i am gonna win the fuck out of this

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I hate these contests as I am most assuredly not creatively talented... :(

... but I do so enjoy reading the outlandish, shocking, and sometimes downright scary submissions from my Codex bros*... :bro:

*Would love to see the face of an Ubisoft exec reading some of these "Hum, Let's see what creative people these RPGCodex posters are........OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN!! MY EYES!!! Who are these... people! I'm so fired for allowing them to have those game keys!!"

npnp, you will recall that limbic are chill bros

;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
npnp, you will recall that limbic are chill bros

;)

Oh, I know they are, it's their master's reactions I'd be curious about... :hmmm:

Don't worry. Ubisoft are big on making amends these days (lol).

In reality, I think that when it comes to these projects, Ubisoft pretty much takes it's reputation as evil mastermind for granted... Winter practically told me that as long as this was a successful project and Limbic were seen as benevolent by the fans, Ubisoft's usual shitty reputation was a small price to pay. He works for them, though, so who's to say? I do think most publishers are aware, at the low levels, what gamers think of them. But on the other hand, it has hardly harmed Ubisoft that they allowed M&MX: Legacy the relative freedom of development they have received. Imagine if they keep doing that. Maybe some day we'll call them harbingers of incline :troll:

My convincing argument: I've never played Might and Magic before and now my body is ready.

Alternate pitch: It'll be my next let's play.

:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Oh for fucks sake. Way to ruin things for yourself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I made a pitch on power-point (as all the great pitches are):

lpV2CwO.jpg

QVFdWOa.jpg

VQ3qPiD.jpg

zuU7ppf.jpg

id8pvsG.jpg

4Bn4Jdx.jpg

The Ticktockman

Scholar
Class: The Disturbed

Some adventurers start out looking for fame, others for fortune, and some even for honor. But not a Disturbed. All he (and a vast majority of Disturbed are male) wants is to watch things die, preferably while feeling a great deal of pain. Tending to be cowards, the Disturbed avoid direct confrontation when possible with a focus on dodging. He generally uses a spear or crossbow to weaken healthy foes from afar, but really prefers using a dagger up close and personal once his enemy is close to death.

Magically inclined Disturbed will prefer using dark magic to cause psychological harm or fire magic to burn their enemy slowly.

Skills:

Bow Expert
Crossbow Master
Dagger Grand Master
Mace -/-
Axe -/-
Sword -/-
Spear Master
Two-Handed -/-
Shield -/-
Dual Wield -/-
Warfare -/-
Medium Armor Expert
Heavy Armor Expert
Dodge Grand Master
Endurance -/-
Arcane Discipline Expert
Magical Focus Expert
Mysticism -/-
Fire Magic Master
Water Magic -/-
Air Magic -/-
Earth Magic -/-
Light Magic -/-
Dark Magic Grand Master
Prime Magic -/-

Advanced Class: The Depraved

A man who follows a Disturbed life for long enough becomes no longer satisfied with causing a slow death. He wishes to revel in the pain of his weakend foes, worshiping it as devoutly as any priest does their own gods.

Advanced Class Skill: Eviscerate
When an enemy is sufficiently weakened (10% HP or less), a Depraved character can attempt to eviscerate it. If successful, the Depraved spends two turns brutally mutilating the enemy; tearing out their internal organs and spreading the viscera around as they scream in agony. This is such a terrifying sight that the other enemies all panic, leaving them unable to attack. Unfortunately, the Depraved's frenzy causes even his allies to be affected, lowering their attack damage by 25% for the duration of the evisceration.

The%20Depraved.jpg

edit: formatting

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
As far as I'm concerned, the contest is secondary, this thread's purpose was to get felipepepe to deliver once again. And what a rousing success it was!

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Paladin_Concept_by_liquidology.jpg

Class
: Holy Knight
Race: Human
Description: Paragons of virtue, vengeance of the celestial host, Holy Knights inspire admiration and awe in their peers, and fear in evildoers everywhere. Trained since a young age to wear heavy armor, and weild a 2 Handed Sword or Maul, Holy Knights can be found where ever the weak are oppressed, and innocent blood shed.

Skills:

Dagger Expert
Sword Master
Two-Handed Grandmaster
Shield Master
Warfare Master
Medium Armor Master
Heavy Armor Grandmaster
Dodge Master
Endurance Master
Arcane Discipline Master
Magical Focus Master
Mysticism Master
Water Magic Grandmaster
Air Magic Grandmaster
Light Magic Grandmaster

Advanced Class: Celestial Sword

Holy Knights who have proven their dedication to the cause of righteousness will be granted a quest that will allow them to attain this advanced class. As soon as they meet the requirements, the next time they rest they will be contacted in their dreams by an angel who will give them the quest, and if they complete it, train them in this advanced class. The exact requirements of this class are a secret, but if the player has spent his life protecting the innocent and scourging evil, he shall meet those requirements.

Advanced Class Skill: Celestial Judgement
Once per day

In times of great need, the Celestial Sword knows he is never alone. His faith is with him, it protects him, it nourishes him, and it destroy's his foes. Once per day when the his health drops below 25%, the Celestial Sword can call upon this powerful ability. He immediately gets a boost of half his health added immediately to his health. At the same time showers of celestial crystal shards cascade down from the skies and slam into his foes, slicing them for massive amounts of damage. If any opponent is left standing after this attack, it may have the paralyzed quality added for 1-3 turns.

Crooked Bee I've added a picture. It isn't Photoshopped though, but it doesn't need to be as it fits the art style of the other class pics in the game. How long is this contest going to run by the way? I am considering another entry to increase my chance of winning. Is bribery allowed to increase win chances?

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
My argument for playing Might and Magic IX:
I've done LPs of MM VI and VII, an LP for VIII is in the works. Initially, when I started the LPs with VI way back, I bought all the games in the series I could on GoG, including IX.
I guess I owe it to the community to do the actual LP of IX. In fact, should I win a steam key for X, I hereby pledge to not only start an LP of Might and Magic IX, but to complete that LP!

There. My shame will be total if I actually win a key for X and fail to complete the LP for IX.

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
My simple, not at all ridiculous argument for playing M&M IX: you will almost immediately discover through playing this game whether or not you are truly masochistic, thereby leading to a string of personal revelations that will bring you to a new and better place in your life. Rescuing failed marriages, repairing damaged family relationships, improving self-esteem, and abating thoughts of suicide -- all of this is possible through play of M&M IX. After all, anything you accomplish in life will be a shining beacon of greatness when compared to M&M IX. Might and Magic IX... playing it will save your life*.

*May not actually save your life.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A convincing argument to play Might and Magic IX:

Do you secretly want to be like Drog Black Tooth? or GhostDog? A great man or woman of the Codex, enshrined in RPG history as the One whose mod transformed a not-quite-perfect game into something truly great? Then start playing MMIX, fall in love with it (drugs can help), mod the hell out of it, and bask in the adulation of thousands of hardcore RPG players, including myself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Slow day at work, felipepepe? :)
You have no idea.

Each year Brazil usually only starts after Carnaval anyway, but this year we have the World Cup, so companies are all focusing their budgets on the Cup months, and the market is not doing anything at the moment. Since I'm a freelancer, I'm completely out of work atm.

I guess it shows. :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom