Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Developer Diary - Colonies

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would be nice if we had an earlier start date, so i could colonize the azores and then declare independence from those degenerate mainland portuguese. Paradox, thats a whole DLC idea right there!

Anyways, looks nice, and adds a lot of new dynamics to the game, something it needs as it tends to become a bit stale and map paint oriented.

Delterius

Arcane
Its likely that the Azores won't make up a colonial state since those only turn up when ~4 provinces are colonized.

I think its very likely that this is going to be my favorite expansion ever. Its going to fix the two things I disliked about EU. The shitty colonial rebellions and the patchwork american colonization that the AI sometimes make.

Grinolf

Arcane
No transcript anywhere? Fuck Paradox with a bah od ficks.

All information from that video was already published weeks ago in standard developer diaries on their forum. These ones that about new colonial nations could be seen there and there. I am not even sure why they bother with video developer diaries, that usually turned out to be less informative than written ones.

Will they FINALLY change Mesoamerica so it has a proper historically correct amount of nations (city-states)? Because as it is Mesoamerica is fucking ridiculous, it wasn't three or four states (Aztecs, Zapotecs, Michoacan, Maya), but a bunch of city-states with a few provinces that had other city-states as vassals, both in Yucatan and in Mexico. And the Mayas were never united. Oh no of course not this is Paradox I'm talking.

Any word on getting rid of ridiculous 10.000 man stacks being transported from Europe in the 1500s to easily lolstomp then conquer any native peoples?

Are the new native american states only in north america? Would be nice to have similar feature in south america, with tribes like the Mapuche, the Guaicuru/Kadweu (horseys!), etc. I like the Federation mechanics, would be awesome to play as Portugal, colonize Brazil as normal and then BAM! Some tribes form something like the Tamoios Confederation, and bum-rush em masse to my colonies with the help of their filthy french allies!

Colonial states are, strangely enough, american-continent only. Beats me why, they could be perfect to represent those East India Companies which were semi-independent from the main colony.

They will also enable us to have the modder people get creative so we can get, say, alternate colonial states getting independence. Also dynamic tags are teh awesome, finally Paradox did it.

No transcript anywhere? Fuck Paradox with a bah od ficks.
I am not even sure why they bother with video developer diaries, that usually turned out to be less informative than written ones.

The answer to this question is in the response you quoted.

Grinolf

Arcane
I don't have any problems with this DLC only concentrating only on Americas. It's much better have unique mechanic for one part of the world, than try to create mechanic, that fairly repreesent all the world, failing at that and have bunch of angry fans on their forum criticising the new DLC for being ahistorical. And Paradox isn't going to stop on one DLC, so there is a chanse that India get attention later.
Sorry, but I don't get get. I also don't get the second sentence from the post, that I quoted, but it doesn't look like I miss something.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Sorry, but I don't get get. I also don't get the second sentence from the post, that I quoted, but it doesn't look like I miss something.
Not everyone visits Paradox website, so they reach more viewers with youtube (this video already has about 12k views, while the last written dev diary reached 4.7k).

Delterius

Arcane
Colonial states are, strangely enough, american-continent only. Beats me why, they could be perfect to represent those East India Companies which were semi-independent from the main colony.

Current theories on the forums seems to be that either A) they are lazy or B) they are planning specific tuning for future african and asian expansions. But I do hope some modder get into expanding these features into the rest of the world. One point, IMO, for these autonomous colonial empires is to make for a more interesting endgame.

Also, I hope some modder spam tribes across south america. Got to say I really dislike it when they design as though only north americans play this game. As if things weren't silly enough with the province ratio between north and south americas being the way it is (if anything, its the north that has way too many provincs for the average complexity the game has in the americas). I mean, implementing random south american tribes got to be an amazingly easy thing to do for the amount of content it brings, wether you're playing native or colonizer.

Current theories on the forums seems to be that either A) they are lazy or B) they are planning specific tuning for future african and asian expansions. But I do hope some modder get into expanding these features into the rest of the world. One point, IMO, for these autonomous colonial empires is to make for a more interesting endgame.

Also, I hope some modder spam tribes across south america. Got to say I really dislike it when they design as though only north americans play this game. As if things weren't silly enough with the province ratio between north and south americas being the way it is (if anything, its the north that has way too many provincs for the average complexity the game has in the americas). I mean, implementing random south american tribes got to be an amazingly easy thing to do for the amount of content it brings, wether you're playing native or colonizer.

They really need to make asian colonization work right, in EU3 I don't remember the euro AI doing much stuff in Asia/India at all, mainly colonizing some provinces. Not to mention that their starting setup in those places (and even in someparts of Europe) is essentially alternate history, and every halfbit modder in EU3 could make a more historically factual setup. West Africa and Southeast Asia were barf-indulcing. Seriously, Paradox. Not to mention these places would need their own mechanics. China is the worst. How is Ming China in EUIV, btw? I haven't played it yet so I don't know, but in EU3 Ming was either bordering the Ottoman Empire by 1520 or so ridiculously pathetic and penalty-stricken in a effort to stop the former situation, that playing with it was a chore.

Yeah the euro-kwan centrism is ridiculous. Especially when one considers that most of north america was SHIT. BANAL. BORING. temperate climate colonies that were just like Europe, and thus, weren't as desired because the action was in places with gold/silver (Andean Plateau, Mexico, Minas Gerais and Mato Grosso, etc) or in the tropical areas where you had sugar cane, cotton, cocoa, spices, etc. Places like the northern thirteen colonies and Canada were essentially the leftovers of the big meal that were grabbed by the second-fiddle colonizers (English, French, Dutch, Danes) or by nearby big boys when they made good borders for clay (Argentina/Uruguay/Southern Brazil) while the best colonizers (Spanish and the Portuguese) grabbed the best clay at the time, like the andean silver mines, northeastern Brazil, caribbean islands, etc. But then again, EU series continuously fails to show american colonies properly, partly because of the foolish insistence to have 1000 soldiers be the default unit size and no possibility of modding it in that aspect.

Dunno how Paradox's gonna go at it, but one thing I would like them to implement in those native american nomadic tribes is to make them like the Horde provinces in EU3: You can't conquer them as you normally do, you have to colonize them, and guard them or the natives will kill the colony. That would adequately simulate both south and north american natives, except they would have to balance it so you want to keep some tribes friendly for advantages instead of just stomping over them.

Yeah, playing native or colonizer countries just scream AAR potential, imagine playing a bunch of stone-age hunter-gatherers and having to transform those guys into something capable of resisting renaissance Europeans with guns. Federation mechanics and nomadism also help to properly depict things like the Iroquois (who often fought amongst themselves) and the Tamoios Confederation. Hope we also get some alternate colony states mod, because I really don't think USA, Brazil and other countries should ALWAYS pop out in games, especially not at their historical shapes. Seeing, say, divided Brazil or the USA being a bunch of little countries would be nice.

Grinolf

Arcane
China is the worst. How is Ming China in EUIV, btw? I haven't played it yet so I don't know, but in EU3 Ming was either bordering the Ottoman Empire by 1520 or so ridiculously pathetic and penalty-stricken in a effort to stop the former situation, that playing with it was a chore.
That wasn't be the case since Divine Wind, where Ming mostly minded it's own buisness and almost never expanded.
In EU4 Ming usually fail to exist and got patritioned between it's neighbours and it's revolter states, while each of them didn't grow large enough for domination in the region and uniting China under itself.
Two very different outcomes but with one reason behind them: AI is too stupid and isn't able to manage China's unique faction system.

China is the worst. How is Ming China in EUIV, btw? I haven't played it yet so I don't know, but in EU3 Ming was either bordering the Ottoman Empire by 1520 or so ridiculously pathetic and penalty-stricken in a effort to stop the former situation, that playing with it was a chore.
That wasn't be the case since Divine Wind, where Ming mostly minded it's own buisness and almost never expanded.
In EU4 Ming usually fail to exist and got patritioned between it's neighbours and it's revolter states, while each of them didn't grow large enough for domination in the region and uniting China under itself.
Two very different outcomes but with one reason behind them: AI is too stupid and isn't able to manage China's unique faction system.

Ming falls apart? Well that already seems like a clearly evolution over EU3 DW where Ming was this super-unbreakable colossus. I loved playing Magna Mundi Ultimate and seeing Ming turn into a little pretty mosaic of colours in some of my games.

Grinolf

Arcane
Ming falls apart? Well that already seems like a clearly evolution over EU3 DW where Ming was this super-unbreakable colossus. I loved playing Magna Mundi Ultimate and seeing Ming turn into a little pretty mosaic of colours in some of my games.

It shouldn't happen in the most games. Because even if the Ming fails there should been ones, who would seek to unite China and found a new dynasty. But EU series is terrible at emulating of chinese dynasties and their rising and failing.

Delterius

Arcane
That's all AI China. Granted, last time I played Ming was way before any patches but it was the most beautifully overpowered thing ever. Ginormous country with effectively muslim-level technology in the far east. Its just that the AI can't handle the factions (perhaps by design even). Still, I tried playing a game where I left the bureaucrats in power the whole time and things still didn't fall apart so quickly -- worst thing was that I was completely defenseless against Russia but a partnership with the Ottoman Empire allowed for my survival.

Grinolf

Arcane
That's all AI China. Granted, last time I played Ming was way before any patches but it was the most beautifully overpowered thing ever. Ginormous country with effectively muslim-level technology in the far east. Its just that the AI can't handle the factions (perhaps by design even). Still, I tried playing a game where I left the bureaucrats in power the whole time and things still didn't fall apart so quickly -- worst thing was that I was completely defenseless against Russia but a partnership with the Ottoman Empire allowed for my survival.

It's also a matter of poor tech group mechanic. When in EU3 western europeans owned everyone, in EU4 eastern europeans were buffed and now stay on par with western ones until very late in the game. So Europe now most of the time look sensible. But it didn's solve the problem, since now there are not one but two tech groups that at the middle of the game dominate everything. And when some european, most likely Russia, show up in Asia, countries there don't stand a chance against them and just got slaughtered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom