Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: Relics and Monsters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

There hasn't been much interesting Might & Magic X Legacy news of late, but Creative Lead Julien Pirou did take some time recently to write two gameplay-related updates for the game's open development blog. The first update is about Relics, a type of magical items found within the game that can gain experience points and grow more powerful. I quote:

Relics are unique and powerful items. In the previous games they were sometimes split in two categories: Relics and Artefacts. You might remember some of them from the old games: Aegis and Pellinore. Ghoulsbane and Iron Feather. The Mace of the Sun and the Scepter of Kings. Einherjar and Everstrike…

These powerful items are back in Might & Magic X Legacy, unified as a single category named simply Relics. Some are awarded by completing quests, other are found by killing bosses or hidden in the depths of the most dangerous dungeons. Relics don’t just have a unique name and icon; they also have a text description telling their story.

But there is something different about the Relics in Might & Magic X Legacy. The moment you find them, they are already powerful items. But they actually gain experience the longer you wear them, unlocking new bonuses, and revealing more of their lore.

[...] The way Relics are handled in Legacy is somewhat inspired by the Dynasty Weapons of Might & Magic: Heroes VI, which shared a similar principle of gaining experience the more they were used. However our Relics don’t necessitate to be online to be equipped, and their powers are more subdued than those of the Dynasty Weapons. Also, they are not only weapons – in Legacy, every item type has its own Relic (except miscellaneous items like rings and amulets).

But truth be told, one of the major inspiration behind the Relics is a pen-and-paper roleplaying game named Earthdawn. In Earthdawn, major artefacts become stronger the more a character uncovers their past and secrets, allowing him to bind himself to the item. I always found that principle fascinating, although not easy to translate in a computer game. The mechanics of the Relics of Legacy are simpler, but descend from this great idea that the powers of the item are linked to its history.
The second update is about the game's monsters, and describes in detail their various attributes. I'll list a few of them:

There are around 60 different monster models in the game – not counting unique enemies and bosses. But each of these models is actually 3 different enemies, or grades.

There’s the “core” version of the monster, that is, the basic version. Then there’s the “elite” version : it has a slightly different colour palette, stronger stats and more abilities. And finally there’s the “champion” version. There’s actually only one champion per enemy type: it has a unique name, different colours (and sometimes even different weapons) and stronger stats and abilities than the elites. Champions are often encountered at the end of dungeons, and are like mini-bosses. Killing a Champion usually awards the coolest items of the game.

Let’s have a look at how monsters are handled in the game’s data, with a creature you already encountered in the Early Access: the good old Giant Spider. Apart from the obvious combat values (attack power, evade chance, etc.), here are some interesting values that define our eight-legged “friend”:
  • Size: Small, Medium or Large. It will determine how many monsters can fit in a single tile, but is also taken into account by some abilities (more efficient against large creatures for instance). In the case of the spider, it is considered a “Medium” monster.
  • AIBehaviour: not all enemies behave the same way. The lowest AI level is called “Brainless” (that’s actually the AI level of the Giant Spider), but other values include “Average”, “Clever” and “Genial”. Bosses usually have their own AI Behaviour.
  • Class: As you might have seen in the in-game Bestiary, enemies can be “Beasts”, “Humans”, “Humanoids”, “Elementals” or “Undead”. There are no Demons in Might & Magic X Legacy.
  • AccessibleTerrains: some enemies can fly, or walk on water. That’s where this is indicated. The Giant Spider is limited to normal, rough and forest terrains.
  • Spells: this lists the active abilities and spells used by the monster. The Giant Spider has only one: “Poison Spit”.
Bosses have the same set of stats, but the encounter usually has its own rules, which we call the “boss pattern”.

For instance Mamushi, the evil leader of the Cult of the Wrecker that you battle on the top level of the Lighthouse, has diagonal movement and can kill you by pushing the party over the ledge of the arena. He also becomes more deadly when his Health Points drop under a certain threshold. To triumph, you’ll have to use your brains as much as your brawn!​

As always, see the full updates for some nice art and screenshots.

Servo

Arcane
At first I was turned off of this by the first person blobber thing, but I'm really digging the way they describe enemy behavior and bosses in particular. My brain can't into how this is related to Ubisoft though. Wtf are they doing over there? Making good games or something?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
At first I was turned off of this by the first person blobber thing, but I'm really digging the way they describe enemy behavior and bosses in particular. My brain can't into how this is related to Ubisoft though. Wtf are they doing over there? Making good games or something?

It started with a fan of the M&M series named Julien Pirou who created a HoMM5 campaign that continued the story of HoMM4 and MM9. He submitted the campaign to Ubisoft and was hired to work on HoMM6. While working at Ubisoft, there was a in-company contest for developing a mock-up of what would a hypothetical Might & Magic X be like and Julien's version won.

His submission won, and while he was forced to use the new Ashan setting introduced by Ubisoft, he wanted to make a game in the style of the earlier M&M title, in particular Might & Magic 4 and 5 (World of Xeen). So the entire reason why MMX exists is due to an old-school fan who did his homework got the chance to continue his favorite series. Kudos to Julien.

You can his version of the story of MMX here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Julien is one of M&M's most devoted fans, and it was basically a question of exactly the right guy, with exactly the right amount of zeal, at exactly the right time, with exactly the right intellectual property:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9127

Last edited:

It started with a fan of the M&M series named Julien Pirou who created a HoMM5 campaign that continued the story of HoMM4 and MM9. He submitted the campaign to Ubisoft and was hired to work on HoMM6. While working at Ubisoft, there was a in-company contest for developing a mock-up of what would a hypothetical Might & Magic X be like and Julien's version won.

His submission won, and while he was forced to use the new Ashan setting introduced by Ubisoft, he wanted to make a game in the style of the earlier M&M title, in particular Might & Magic 4 and 5 (World of Xeen). So the entire reason why MMX exists is due to an old-school fan who did his homework got the chance to continue his favorite series. Kudos to Julien.

You can his version of the story of MMX here.
:salute::salute::salute::salute: :bro::bro::salute::salute::salute::salute:

I didn't know that. I thought someone blackmailed a Ubishit fatcat into making a TB blobber.

Luzur

Good Sir
Julien is A-OK in my book, although he should really concentrate on getting a real collection, you are not an Elite with just Heroes boxes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom