Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Talking to Marcin Kruczkiewicz about Hellraid

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Hellraid; Marcin Kruczkiewicz

If running around with a sword killing demons from hell is your kind of thing, you might be interested in Hellraid.

It's immersive first-person hack-and-slash action with enough vaguely relevant RPG features for us to take a closer look. Also it looks kind of cool, so we sent Andhaira out for some doughnuts - and to talk to the Hellraid team while he was out. Here's a snip:

After gaining a new level we’ll give the player a choice from various skills, so they can create a hero with abilities that fits their style of play. The intent is that there will be significant difference depending on your choices, thus encouraging replayability.​
[...]
We place a great importance on both the history of the world we’re creating and the storyline in the campaign. So far we kept it all a secret because we don’t want to reveal anything before it’s fully completed. During the game you’ll visit a devastated monastery and have some quests to complete which you’ll have a reason for in the game’s world. Religion has been repelled by magic which strengthened the evil forces and allowed them to cross to the realm of men. We’ll reveal more details on our blog at hellraid.com soon.​​

You can read the rest at the link below.

Read the full article: Talking to Marcin Kruczkiewicz about Hellraid

Baron

Arcane
First person version of Diablo. Never thought that was a RPG either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
two bladed katanas

classic Andhaira :lol:

Well, all that talk of Hexen inspiration will be reflected and evaluated the most in the level design and-

The main storyline will take approximately 8 hours to finish without completing the side quests.

Oh :negative:

Also, goddammit, let Andhaira post again. He's more deserving and simply a better poster than like 90% of the current pool of GD enthusiasts.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Those magic staff things look really pathetic.

Nice interview though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Their last games all seemed to bristle with promise and then turned out to be rather lacking and stupid. But also being strangely alluring. They just MIGHT get this one right. Or not. Whatever.

Though seeing them use the same enemy archetypes (chained up brute) in the trailer as in their zombie games does not bode too well regarding originality...

tindrli

Arcane
Now i know that i will never try Hellraid, and that's all i have to say about that

Explorerbc

Arcane
It will probably play like an updated version of Dead Island, just in a different setting. At least that's the feeling the early trailers give me.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Painkiller: Diablo Edition!

It looks interesting as an action adventure game. I see nothing RPGish about it though.

spectre

Arcane
Watching the trailer, the graphics reminded me of Oblibion. You sure you want to take that route, Techland?

Quatlo

Arcane
First person never works, it always seems detached and artificial, they should make it tpp and try o emulate heretic 2. Hellstaff is already in.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Looks like a nice coop experience with well integrated combat mechanics.

Eventually someone achieves a game with similar mechanics as Dark Messiah.
If Arkane Studios can't do it and instead focuses on a weird aberrations of games, then someone else must.

:incline:

Zeriel

Arcane
I always wondered why there couldn't be more clones of Hexen. I'd be happy playing Call of Hexen: Hell Ops 9.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Finally, a first-person fantasy slasher featuring the undead, wilderness environments and dim castle hallways. On the other hand, it won't be hexed with Bethesda's writing staff.

Seems somewhat interesting (setting :bounce:, maybe too much zombies though) but I'm afraid simplification and popamolization will ruin it for me. Why can't someone make a more complex game in such setting. But seeing as this will have classes, shops and skills, maybe it won't be too simplified... It is an action game after all. It's just a pity IMO that nobody tries to make a deeper RPG in such a setting. I guess it's not mainstream and sell-able enough... :(

Diablo 1, Hellgate London etc. IMO excellent setting for a proper rpg. But unfortunately we only got action and in Hellgate's case a pretty shitty one...

Yeah, I'd like some more questions about puzzles and level design too. Will it be "dungeon crawly" i.e. interior dungeons mostly, or will there be an outside world too etc.?

Will keep an eye out, of all the new shit this actually seems interesting and original (well more so than most mainstream games nowadays).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I think it looks good, provided the combat is half-decent. Sword fighting is hard to make feel right. If it's Mount & Blade like, then all's good.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I wish someone would just make a new Severance game. Blade of Darkness is probably still the best as far as first person feel is concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom