Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Lords of Xulima Kickstarter Funded, 18 Days to Go

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kickstarter; Lords of Xulima

Kickstarter campaign for oldschool turn-based RPG Lords of Xulima is off to a good start, as almost $14,000 in funding has already been achieved with 18 days still left to go. The next two stretch goals sound pretty good, with a new character class, Divine Summoner, at $20,000, and a whole new world region, Enchanted Isles of Varas Talak, at $30,000. I hope the campaign gets enough pledges to make that happen.

An advanced class for an original play style: The Divine Summoner is a special class we want to include in the fold because we feel it will add even more depth and fun to your adventure, if you can master it. As a Divine Realm class, he summons and commands the heralds of the Gods. There are 8 different Heralds, which are each developed and improved separately as your summoning skills grow in power.

The Divine Summoner can summon up to two Heralds at the same time in combat. These Heralds take the two empty positions in the character position grid, creating interesting tactical scenarios and giving you command of a larger party during battles.

The Enchanted Isles of Varas Talak

The Varas Talak Archipelago with 7 mystical islands connected by a nightmarish sea, which you must brave onboard a ship. Who knows what lurks below the ocean? This new region is protected by an ancient, hidden power. Discovering it’s secrets will be vital to the success of your adventure.​

There has also been a new limited reward tier added -- you get a signed copy of the game for pledging $120 or more:

Through your feedback, we decided to add Signed Physical Copies. That's right! The Lord's of Xulima director, and RPG Guru, Jesús Arribas will be signing and personally inscribing the awesome "Bestiary & Mythology" book. He will even write a unique dedication, just for you!​

Finally, today's update elaborates a bit on the inspirations behind Lords of Xulima:

I found myself enthusiastic about the idea of creating an RPG similar to the classics, which in my opinion, consist of three main elements:
  • An epic story, which is original, sometimes strange, but not afraid of being too fantastic. It is something that seems to have been lost recently with the exception of some Japanese productions. Not everything in life must be serious or realistic, and not all plots must political conspiracies or about the betrayal of one faction or another. I have no intention of being pigeonholed by these sorts of themes.
  • A game system that rewards intelligence, imagination, deductions and strategies; instead of skills and reflexes of the player, or maneuvering complicated combinations of buttons in a few milliseconds.
  • A challenging environment…, yes, I love challenges. I love feeling small and vulnerable in a vast, dangerous world. I want my “stupid” actions to have negative consequences, and I want accomplishments to feel like my own, like I’ve earned them. I don’t want to feel like success in a game is simply the result of a programmed script or tutorial that wants to convince me that I am a hero.
Read the post in full here.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I had to skip backing this during the Indiegogo campaign, so I was happy to see this project on Kickstarter. It's looking pretty good! :takemymoney:

a8ea5edda58cf412ad63638a4e7eea4c_large.gif

Run little man, RUN!

Dyspaire

Cipher
Honestly, I was sure they were going to get the 10000 bucks. The game deserves at least a 100K. They should have aimed at least for 50K.

I agree. I can't understand why they're struggling to make even 20k. I understand word-of-mouth is a powerful thing. But for Deathfire to pull in 50k in a week and LoX to have only made 10% of that over the same time-frame... no idea.

Hopefully LoX follows a similar funding arc to D:OS and has a strong finish. It looks at least as good Expeditions: Conquistador, for example, and I think that game pulled in around 80k.

It's certainly going to be a better rpg than Shadowrun:Returns, I'm thinking.

Alchemist

Arcane
This is looking better and better every time I look at it. They have a creative energy that is quite infectious. I'm in for $15 early-bird but will likely step up to the Digital Bestiary level. Hoping they can hit some of those stretch goals.

• A game system that rewards intelligence, imagination, deductions and strategies; instead of skills and reflexes of the player, or maneuvering complicated combinations of buttons in a few milliseconds.
  • A challenging environment…, yes, I love challenges. I love feeling small and vulnerable in a vast, dangerous world. I want my “stupid” actions to have negative consequences, and I want accomplishments to feel like my own, like I’ve earned them. I don’t want to feel like success in a game is simply the result of a programmed script or tutorial that wants to convince me that I am a hero.
Those two points right there seal the deal for me. :incline::takemymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom