Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Underrail Preview at GameBanshee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

GameBanshee's diligent newsposter WorstUsernameEver took some time off from posting news to write a five page preview of Codex indie favorite Underrail, which was recently released as an Early Access title on Steam. Have a snippet:

At first glance, it would be easy enough to mistake Underrail for an unofficial Fallout sequel. Both Fallout and Underrail are turn-based post-apocalyptic RPGs that put you in the shoes of a single character of your own creation who can specialize in many different skills, from bludgeoning mutants with a hammer, to stealing, to the fine arts of diplomacy. And the similarities don't stop there, given that most quests are designed to allow for different approaches, the most common ones being stealth and combat.

Look beyond the obvious homages to Interplay's masterpiece though, and you'll find hints of titles like Metro 2033 (the underground post-apocalyptic setting), and even the original Deus Ex, the influence of which isn't immediately apparent, yet pervades every aspect of Underrail's gameplay, from skill usage to the level design. Basically, Underrail is a game that wears its influences on its sleeve and tries to recapture the brilliance of an era of gaming that ended almost unceremoniously, and that only now is seemingly coming back. Will Underrail be among the first of these newer RPG titles to live up to its promises?

While the game is still unfinished and there's much work ahead for Stygian Software (a name behind which hides one-man-band developer Dejan Radisic), I'd be willing to give it a tentative yes. Underrail might lack the strong personality and writing of classics like Fallout and Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura, but makes up for it with some impressive system design, which feels like a natural evolution of its spiritual forebears.

[...] About the only criticism I have for Underrail's quest design is that it didn't surprise me. The game covers all the bases, offering a variety of tasks, from saving hostages to stealing key cards in highly surveilled gambling dens, and the vast majority of these have at least a couple of possible solutions depending on your build, but there's nothing that quite jumps at you for its uniqueness, whether for narrative or design reasons.

That said, Underrail is decidedly at its best not when it has you running undoubtedly entertaining errands in its populated settlements, but when it sends you to desolate locations, and that's because its dungeon design is a fantastic hybrid of Fallout and Deus Ex. Every location has multiple entry and exit points, plenty of locked doors, containers, surveillance cameras, computers, trapped passageways and more. There's a wonderful sense of place to them too, an underlying logic that helps you forget the fact that you're dealing with the same repeated art assets over and over: see a camera and you're likely to find the surveillance monitors (which you can utilize, by the way) somewhere nearby, find traps and you're likely to find those who placed them, and so on and so forth. They're little details that are easy to overlook, but manage to greatly enhance the atmosphere of the game.

[...] Underrail's alpha wasn't anywhere close to perfect, as it should be abundantly clear by now, but still shows an immense amount of potential. The game is very entertaining even in this early and unpolished state, and, assuming something doesn't go very wrong during the last stretch of development, it should, at the very least, be as entertaining on release. Stygian Software's title tried to take the pen and paper aspirations of Fallout and Arcanum and a pinch of the simulational aspirations of the early 3d titles from Looking Glass Studios and Ion Storm, and added to them a great dose of ambition (again, it's worth noting that the game was, aside from some art, completely developed by one single person), so you'd be forgiven for being a bit skeptical about the results. And yet it works, and in light of the recent news of the financial success of the title on Steam, the real future is looking a lot brighter than the fiction of it that Underrail presents. Brighter than ever, in fact.
Interesting. As someone who hasn't been following this project as closely as I probably should have, I wasn't aware of its similarities with Deus Ex.

skyst

Augur
The end encounter of the first real "dungeon" can be resolved with combat, made substantially easier with stealth or dismantled (assuming, didn't have the appropriate skills) with diplomacy; apparenly Deus Ex trademarked this.

"Underrail's alpha wasn't anywhere close to perfect"

What a redundant remark, as if perfection is anything we've been able to find with any full game for the last 10 years, much less a damn alpha. For fuck's sake, avoid making such expressions for the sake of it. It is meaningless filler text that doesn't help with the impressions of a game at all.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
The end encounter of the first real "dungeon" can be resolved with combat, made substantially easier with stealth or dismantled (assuming, didn't have the appropriate skills) with diplomacy; apparenly Deus Ex trademarked this.

Level design does remind me a lot of what Deus Ex (and Thief) did, if you look at Arcanum, Fallout 1/2 and and Baldur's Gate none of them implemented stuff like alternative routes through vents and tunnels in order to give sneaky players more options, in all of them stealth was pretty much "I turn invisible and walk in front of everyone's faces without being noticed if my skill is high enough".

Though there may have been games before the Fallout era that did that, but sadly the most far I've gotten into the golden era of 1985-1995 was playing two hours of Wasteland 1 back in July :negative:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I never thought of it, but indeed, with the vents and security cameras/turrets, styg has added another level of complexity on how to approach situations, much like DX.

What a redundant remark, as if perfection is anything we've been able to find with any full game for the last 10 years, much less a damn alpha. For fuck's sake, avoid making such expressions for the sake of it. It is meaningless filler text that doesn't help with the impressions of a game at all.
My thoughts exactly, especially since he's talking about an alpha.

V_K

Arcane
That guy is too picky. I generally don't give a rat's ass for postApoc settings, but i liked the one in Underrail.

Though there may have been games before the Fallout era that did that, but sadly the most far I've gotten into the golden era of 1985-1995 was playing two hours of Wasteland 1 back in July
Hmm, this got me thinking and I can only remember one series from the golden era to feature a dedicated stealth mechanic - Quest for Glory. In other classic games, I think, you at best got a sneak skill (that was either applied automatically or only checked in certain situations) and/or invisibility spell. I'm not known for good memory, though.

I suppose it's a more PC way of saying "it was kinda shitty".

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stumbled across this gem on Steam, fell in love because of the Falloutesque art style and TB combat and after playing it for 8 hours I'm totally addicted.
I guess I have to restart though, made kind of a jack of all trades character and now he sucks at everything. :incline:
But that was to be expected, I just coudn't wait to see all the different game mechanics in action.
Overall very impressive, especially the flexibility in how to overcome obstacles and how all of the different builds seem to be fun to play, the constant sense of danger, the freedom of exploration, really love it so far.
Can't wait to see where this game is going, especially now that Styg is able to hire additional crew.

I highly recommend buying it, because even though it's an alpha it's already highly playable and I didn't notice any bugs or examples of bad or unpolished design so far (have to nitpick over one thing though: as in most indie games the font size is much much too low on 1920x1080).
And I feel kinda cheap "buying" it for just 8 €, this is way too low imo.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom