Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #33: Demo Progress Report, New Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

This month's Dead State Kickstarter update reports on the progress towards the release of the game's playable demo. It also comes with a bunch of new screenshots. Check it out:

As we end October, we close out on one of our most productive months yet. Most of our work this month moved us closer to both getting our game to Beta complete and polishing many of the game’s designs for the enhanced Demo that will be available to backers and pre-order customers in the near future (for the record, the demo will be an extended and more advanced version of the PAX demo). But before we can meet either milestone, levels need to be created, more dialogues need to be scripted/polished, and several GUIs and additional combat features need to be hooked up.

Speaking of levels, we’ve been putting a lot of effort into level creation on the design and art side. Our art team has been busy creating more pre-fab building sets and have created many new models and building types for us to use in level creation. On the design side, we've finished up over ten new medium to large levels and are continually speeding up the time it takes to put together new content. There will be plenty of places for your group to loot by the time we release. Take a look at some of the screenshots in the update for a look at some of the new levels.

Programming finished up a dialogue scheduling tool that allows design to fire dialogues from a master event file – basically a file that tracks every possible event and tells the game when to fire dialogues based on conditions and time passed. The file also automates much of the cutscene/music/transition process as dialogues trigger in the player’s shelter. We've started fully implementing many of the allies in the shelter and revising their dialogues, including how your decisions affect their mood. It’s a lot to track and set up, but the master event file allows to track all the many interactions and adjust timing of events as needed. The first few allies going in are the starter allies (the allies you begin the game with), followed by some of the new allies you’ll meet in the extended demo and full game. As I’m hooking these up, I’m reminded of just how much dialogue we have in the game and it is a lot – I expect by the time we get to the polish/tester feedback stage, we can expect some ally content to grow by 10-20% as people request more options or interaction with them.

Programming is also wrapping up work on a few other features such as the shelter inventory, party trading interface, thrown weapons, and enhanced pathfinding, including zombie group movement. Many of these features address usability issues that were brought up in the PAX demo. We've also implemented a more user-friendly smart cursor that allows scrolling through available options for doors, allies, and enemies with the right cursor. You can now select special attacks within an easily accessible combat menu when attacking an enemy (it makes combat so, so much better). We’ll also be cleaning up the combat GUI to make it easier to read and access the most commonly used options.

The next step for us is hammering on the content that will be featured in the demo and improving anything that won’t reflect the final quality of the game. Much of the work we’re doing now also folds into the Beta version, and indeed some of the work for November will be getting certain elements of the game up to Beta standards (like dialogue scripting and the Area Map Survival/random event functionality). To wrap up, I’d say we’re making good progress and even in a pre-Beta stage the game feels pretty good and very on target for what we promised for the Kickstarter. We can’t wait to get the demo out there for you. In the meantime, you can always reach us on the message boards. Also look for more frequent Radio posts (a new one went up this week). It's getting to be a very exciting time of development, so expect lots of new info in the next two months.​

No actual ETA on the demo, though. They're smarter than Iron Tower and inXile. :smug:

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks pretty good, thanks for the info infi.
So what are we looking at? probable release date on the 2015?
Q3 2014? i know they say Q1 2013, but it just seems like they are far from getting it all done by then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Q3 2014? i know they say Q1 2013, but it just seems like they are far from getting it all done by then.

The release date is "early 2014".

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't know if they plan to implement a fog of war, because knowing all the building layout before exploring it is kinda disappointing. It kills the mystery.

Lhynn

Arcane

The release date is "early 2014".
yeah sorry, Q1 2014*
really was expecting the world to end, so im having troubles keeping track of years.
Just wondering if you, that are more informed than me, could take a guess at when you see this game being released.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Each update i'm crossing my fingers for a new UI, I'm starting to loose hope.

hiver

The environments look very bright. As if its high noon all the time.
Probably just the consequence of very early build but, just to mention - other types of day light would add much to the atmosphere - diversity of each area - map.

Looks just too sterile even for regularly maintained environments (considering the game is "immediately after" the zombie apoc and not "full post-apoc"). Not necessarily bad but leaves something to be desired with that bland "Home Designer Software" look and poor light rendering, especially considering how some of the other indie zombie games with similar outlooks managed to look far more pleasing eg. Trapped Dead, Dead Horde.

They could have done better with graphics with the KS money. Then again, they are the kind of people who settled with the dinosaur lady concept art for whatever reason. Doesn't give much to hope for future.

I don't know if they plan to implement a fog of war, because knowing all the building layout before exploring it is kinda disappointing. It kills the mystery.

Also this

The environments look very bright. As if its high noon all the time.
Probably just the consequence of very early build but, just to mention - other types of day light would add much to the atmosphere - diversity of each area - map.

And that. Though I doubt it will change much.

I can live with the Home Designer Software look but I'm pretty certain fog of war will take away whatever enjoyment one might have.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They could have done better with graphics with the KS money. Then again, they are the kind of people who settled with the dinosaur lady concept art for whatever reason. Doesn't give much to hope for future.

:rpgcodex:

I, for one, am glad that wasn't their priority. I am hopeful they put those (limited) resources into actual gameplay/ story as that is what I pledged for.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
These jokers aren't going to seem so smart when Q1 2014 rolls around and their janky-looking zombie RPG made by nobodies is up against Brian "hype-machine" Fargo's Wasteland 2, the Berlin campaign for Shadowrun Returns by a proven developer of pretty-looking polished mediocrity, the Might and Magic X nostalgia-bomb, and Divinity: Original Sin and Blackguards representing familiar European trad-fant settings. A State of being Dead on Arrival.

I suppose some of them could be delayed some more. I feel confident they'll all be disappointing too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We hit Peak Zombie with games a while ago and the struggling Kickstarter campaign shows just how far that concept and Mitsoda's name value go.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We hit Peak Zombie with games a while ago and the struggling Kickstarter campaign shows just how far that concept and Mitsoda's name value go.

"Struggling campaign"? Most Kickstarters would kill to get half of what Dead State got these days. Uh, pun not intended.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

"Struggling campaign"? Most Kickstarters would kill to get half of what Dead State got these days. Uh, pun not intended.
Compared to that which preceded them (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns) and that which came after (Project Eternity, Torment, even Original Sin), it was a struggle. Only 10,000 compared to the tens of thousands for the others.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Compared to that which preceded them (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns) and that which came after (Project Eternity, Torment, even Original Sin), it was a struggle. Only 10,000 compared to the tens of thousands for the others.

Not in the same league. They did very well for a semi-anonymous vaporware project.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not in the same league. They did very well for a semi-anonymous vaporware project.
It was a project from Brian "Cult Hit" Mitsoda that even included seconds of gameplay footage. The Banner Saga was a pitch by a few nobodies from The Old Republic and it made over twice as much and got about twice as many backers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It was a project from Brian "Cult Hit" Mitsoda that even included seconds of gameplay footage. The Banner Saga was a pitch by a few nobodies from The Old Republic and it made over twice as much and got about twice as many backers.

Banner Saga was one of the first games of the Kickstarter fad - the first RPG, really. They wouldn't have made nearly as much today. Neither would Dead State.

Bottom line, the campaign didn't struggle. Find a better way to demonstrate that Dead State will flop (which it might, or perhaps not if inXile assist the man they've hired to do writing for Torment with some promotion).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom