Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #37: On Wasteland Survival and Wasteland

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Montgomery Markland; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

Today's Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update is really big. It's the work of inXile's new producer, Montgomery Markland, former Obsidian developer and one-time RPGCodex regular (hi Monty!). The update is mainly dedicated to describing various aspects of "wasteland survival" in Wasteland 2. It's far too long for me to quote in its entirety, but here's an excerpt:

The World Map

Like Fallout or Arcanum, the basic experience on the world map is one of exploration and discovery.

Your travel on the world map is limited by both physical geography and clouds of deadly radiation. Within those constraints, you can travel anywhere in the region depicted on the map. You have two alternative means of exploration while in this game mode.

Primary exploration occurs in a 3D map that shows your immediate surrounding environment with representative scale and geographic features of the region. Significant locations, settlements and sites reveal themselves as you scout around. The 3D exploration is in the same style and pattern as Mount & Blade and Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir.

While in the 3D world map, you can press “M” to bring up a 2D map displaying the entire region. This 2D regional map automatically updates with locations you have either explored yourself, or have been informed of by another Wastelander. The regional map has been handed down from ranger to ranger over the previous century, each adding their own details to what was originally an old-fashioned roadmap from the 1990s.

As you discover radiation zones they are marked on your map In Arizona, locations generally match their canonical layout from Wasteland 1. The map is filled with key locations you will discover through regular playthroughs; but significant sections of the map are side exploration opportunities. There is plenty of space to wander around, discover hidden resources based on your character’s build, fight random encounters and discover minor sites that may be explored in normal game mode.

Skill and Abilities

Your rangers possess a variety skills to help you brave these many dangers. Outdoorsman is the most important for the world map, affecting water consumption, dehydration survival distance, scouting range for new settlements and sites, starting position for random encounters, your chance to run away from said danger, and more. Outdoorsman is the key skill for travel, but you will find uses for it in various other areas of the game as well.

Luck is likely the second most important ability or skill while travelling on the world map. Luck impacts what kind of hidden caches you discover in The Wasteland and how much loot they contain, as well as your likelihood of escape if you try to run away from a random encounter. There are also certain resources and events on the world map that you will only be able to discover if you are extremely Lucky.

Finally, Speed has obvious impact in relation to random encounters, as mentioned above, and several of your other abilities and skills will reveal hidden caches, high value items, unique encounters and undiscovered oases with greatly increased water supplies.​

The full update has more information on the three main survival hazards - dehydration, radiation and random encounters. There are also a couple of cool new enemy portraits. The other main highlight is a status report on inXile's upcoming Wasteland rerelease, which will apparently be more than just a "DOSBox wrapper", as some have assumed. I quote:

Wasteland 1

We noted back in Update 33 that Wasteland 1 would be getting a standalone release.

Where is it!

First, we’re ensuring it runs on modern machines, higher resolutions, faster processors, and all that jazz. We’re also giving it some polish for rerelease including a Mark Morgan music track, integration of the original paragraph texts into the game, and optional paragraph voice over & uprezzed portraits (both of which may be toggled on and off). We've spent a very limited amount of time on the WL1 portrait uprezzes and if possible we'd like to open up the ability to customize the WL1 portraits to the community themselves. We’ve also added support for multiple save games – now you don’t have to wipe the game clean to start over.

Wasteland 1 will be made available for free to all backers (including late backers as well as people getting it through the rewards associated with backing Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity), and sold as a separate title on GOG and Steam.

Hmmm, your mileage may vary on that "upscaled" look, but the integrated paragraphs are pretty nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None has confirmed that the Wasteland 1 graphical smoothing effect can also be disabled:

Ieu6LSt.png

Seerix

Arbiter
New soldier pic looks like a fatass, pixels have that beautiful rugged look that only high grade picture can recreate, not some smooth upscaling, blah.

wesmo

Educated
New soldier pic looks like a fatass, pixels have that beautiful rugged look that only high grade picture can recreate, not some smooth upscaling, blah.

Imo it would look nicer if they just went with a higher res pixel art image, keeping the older image style yet adding more pixalated detail.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wasteland re-release looks like the laziest effort at re-selling an old game since BGEE.

World map travel seems good enough to me, but having vehicles too would have been p. cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wasteland re-release looks like the laziest effort at re-selling an old game since BGEE.

Good thing they're not selling it for 20 bucks then eh

It's not supposed to be an Enhanced Edition at all - those enhancements are just bonuses. The game could just as easily have appeared as-is on GOG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Stinger

Arcane
I actually really like that uprezzed portrait. Keeps the overall look, while cleaning it up a little. And the fact that you can always switch back to the original portraits is always great.

I'm really looking forward to replaying the steam version of Wasteland.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I would have preferred if the World Map was a bit more stylized, but I suppose using assets they already have is less expensive.

Hopefully the overland map isn't final it looks a bit slap dash to me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
probably because they want to utilize in-house people for the interface/gui stuff.

Why didn't they replace their in-house people with some guys from the Cartographers Guild?

I kid, sort of. Those maps give me that "begging to be put out of my misery" vibe, but then again the beta should be available in at most thirteen days, so I'll get to see for myself.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
one-time RPGCodex regular (hi Monty!).

Hello Infinitron! But what's this about one-time? I've been here for years (though admittedly a silent lurker for a great portion of that time).

this shit is shitty

I would have preferred if the World Map was a bit more stylized, but I suppose using assets they already have is less expensive. Hopefully the overland map isn't final it looks a bit slap dash to me.

There is definitely a desire to maximize reuse of assets. This is a large game. That being said, final art is one of the last steps in the process. We’re in the phase where we’re experimenting with camera angles, materials & shaders, scale of objects, density of objects, party representation, VFX, etc.

Why didn't they just pay one of these guys a few hundred/thousand bucks to do 2D overland and world maps? http://www.cartographersguild.com/content/

Thanks for the link, I've not seen that site before.

This one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/c...cher_baker_otherguy_ascension_scaled.jpg.html

And this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/feature/WesterosMap.jpg

Are cool.

I’m comfortable that, when final, our 3D and 2D maps compete very well with the excellent work on that site; particularly when taking into account that we must also provide gameplay in the space we are visually representing (which puts certain additional requirements on the art, depending on camera and interactions).

Sozzy world map and exploration/survival look great! Total incline.

Thanks Arkadin! We took a lot of inspiration from the SoZ team's work (Scott Everts, Tony Evans, Nathaniel Chapman and the gang) and Kevin Saunders did a lot of the initial design on the world map for Wasteland 2.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess when WL2 comes out, we'll see if the terrible stability of the worldmap from Conquistador was due to Unity or just shitty programming.

Looking great so far, and I love all the details about exploration, and resource management.

Ew, what a half assed job, if they wanted to update it they should have just done similar to The fat chain fighter up there, I see no excuse for the lack of detail and ugly palette, the original game was limited by it's technology, I don't think you were actually intended to be a featureless albino.(The shitty original is far superior.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom