Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Spells of Gold Interview with Jonquil Software

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Jonquil Software; Spells of Gold

Our interview with Jonquil Software, developers of Spells of Gold, the upcoming RPG with a trade slant, published by Buka.

6. Quests obviously play a part in the game. How much variety will there be in terms of their nature and goals? Are there many optional quests? How do these tie in with the main, plot focused elements of the game?

In the game the Hero will have to accomplish a definite number of storyline quests. Each plotline suggests performing its particular tasks different from those of another ones. So to fulfill a task the Hero will have to pay money, to fight, to look for certain items, to buy magic potions, to look for some people and do other things. There are optional quests in the game (we speak about storyline quests not random tasks (see further)) but they are not many.
Now let's talk about non-storyline quests or missions. They are great many in the game. It is possible to get a task almost in every building. After accomplishing it the Hero is sure to be awarded with something either money or experience and maybe some karma points (white or dark) and besides, he will improve the NPC's attitude towards him himself. So the Hero gains a favorable attitude of a god by performing missions in the temple of that god. The missions offered depend on the Hero's experience and the NPC's attitude to him.​

Enjoy! Thanks to Jonquil Software for taking the time to answer the questions!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
So, like.. No one is even interested in this title? That's kind of odd, because it sounds fairly decent to me. Then again, trade is something I've always wanted to see in a CRPG. Avernum 3 had it, but it wasn't very focused.

Jed

Cipher
I haven't been following this game, but I definitely am interested in having trade in my CRPGs.

"You got your chocolate in my peanut butter--wait, this tastes great!"

J

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
link for morons that don't read the front page

Well, I was a huge fan of Elite. I played it off and on for about two years, but I never once got the title of "Elite" in it.. heh

However, I do think that trade should be a viable aspect in CRPGs, simply because prices on items should vary from town to town. For example, in a fantasy setting, a town with gold mine should have cheap prices on gold where a town without one should have higher prices. However, the town without gold could have a jeweller which turns that gold in to jewelry, which the gold mine town doesn't have. You should be able to transfer items between them to make money.

After all, most CRPGs out there don't really have an economy system. In most CRPGs, prices are flat and don't seem to change much other than the shop's barter value, if they even have such a barter system at all.

Not to mention the game has 23 different skills.. SCHWEET!

Mistress

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Not to mention the game has 23 different skills.. SCHWEET!

:mrgreen:

I really do hope this game turns out as well as it could. The trade aspect is what really interests me - just something a little different to separate it from the crowd.

I think that, from what I've read so far, the game should at least turn out to be okay. Fingers crossed it will be more ;)

Jed

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:

I ONLAY COME TO RGPCODEXXX FOR TEH SWEET NEWS ABOUT NEVEREVERWINTAR KNIGHTS, TEH BEST ROLL PLAYIGN GAEM EVAR!!!!111!!! DRRIZZITZZTTZZZ 0WNZ0RZ YOU'RE AZZ N00BZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

JED K

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:
Saint_Proverbius said:

I ONLAY COME TO RGPCODEXXX FOR TEH SWEET NEWS ABOUT NEVEREVERWINTAR KNIGHTS, TEH BEST ROLL PLAYIGN GAEM EVAR!!!!111!!! DRRIZZITZZTTZZZ 0WNZ0RZ YOU'RE AZZ N00BZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

JED K

You'd be surprised how many people just use the forum instead of the front page.. heh

I just noticed Mistress didn't link to the article in the summary, so I had to make a link for those people in that reply.

Jed

Cipher
I took it all in good jest.

I've actually read everything on the site, Spells of Gold content included, but for some reason SoG hasn't yet grabbed my attention. I read that interview, and I can't remember a thing about it. Maybe I need to give it another look.

J

Mistress

Liturgist
XJEDX said:
I took it all in good jest.

I've actually read everything on the site, Spells of Gold content included, but for some reason SoG hasn't yet grabbed my attention. I read that interview, and I can't remember a thing about it. Maybe I need to give it another look.

J

LOOK AGAIN!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom