Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interview at Hold The Line

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

There's a short interview with Chris Avellone at HoldTheLine.com, the website that was founded by upset BioWare fans last year in response to the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco. There's not much here that we don't already know, but we do get a glimpse at the current status of Project Eternity:

Q: Speaking of which, how's it coming along? Have you guys locked down a title yet?

Chris: It’s coming along great, we’re building cities and districts and dungeons for players to explore, and it’s all looking beautiful – we’re currently tackling the first major city in the game, Defiance Bay, and it’s shaping up great. It’s not often that people can come into work and say “well, today I’m building a city,” but that’s the kind of workplace we have here at Obsidian. And that’s just the start – it’s not just the city itself, but the locations throughout the Eternity world (above and below) are shaping up beautifully, and the designers are adding a lot of great quest lines and content to thread them all together.

As for the title of the project: We have not resolved the “lock down a title” quest line yet. So no XP for us.

Q: You guys have stated that Eternity will be a pretty mature and dark-themed game. Slavery, drug use, etc. Are you afraid that might turn off some potential fans, or cause some unintended controversy within the gaming media?

Chris: If it’s true to the story, we’re afraid of nothing. There are a lot of elements we’ve often wanted to explore in previous titles that we haven’t had an opportunity to do, and Eternity gives us free rein to deal with those subjects. We don’t include elements like these for shock value – if they fit in with the game’s themes and if they add weight to the player’s moral choices for the player, then they are absolutely worth adding to the world. Similar themes worked well in interesting ways in Fallout 2, for example, and seeing some of those same evils explored in Eternity from a different perspective is something we’re looking forward to - and that’s only a small part of what we have planned.

Q: Will Eternity allow players to explore companion storyline/quests like they might have experienced in Fallout: New Vegas?

Chris: Each companion is intended to have a storyline, background, and quest that either advances them, ties them to the game story, or ties them to the theme, and preferably, some combination thereof. It may not be exactly like the New Vegas quest structure (we go as far back as Torment internal quests and the KOTOR2 advancement arcs), but companions will have agendas and quests of their own. More on this will likely come out in the coming months (and it may change as the companions are fully fleshed out), although the specifics will likely wait until the players are actually playing the title.
Also, Chris is apparently personally interested in making an Eberron D&D game, which is something I haven't heard him say before. Doesn't Eberron have elves?

Borelli

Arcane
Q: Beyond what you're currently hard at work on, is there any other IPs out there that the team would absolutely love to get their hands on?

Chris: There’s a few: The Wire, Archer, Ultima, Chronotrigger, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Star Wars, Firefly, and Doctor Who, to name a few. I think Star Wars is pretty high on people’s lists here at the studio. Personally, I’d love to do an Eberron D&D game as well, I love that universe.
Holy shit.:o Somebody give Obsidian ALL MONEY IN THE WORLD (but not too much).

Kz3r0

Arcane
Q: Beyond what you're currently hard at work on, is there any other IPs out there that the team would absolutely love to get their hands on?

Chris: There’s a few: The Wire, Archer, Ultima, Chronotrigger, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Star Wars, Firefly, and Doctor Who, to name a few. I think Star Wars is pretty high on people’s lists here at the studio. Personally, I’d love to do an Eberron D&D game as well, I love that universe.
Stop the presses, this is the most important RPG news of the decade.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is it just me or is everyone and their dog interviewing Avellone lately? He's the new hot stuff apparently.

himmy

Arcane

FTFY

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I don't see why a full indie should be afraid of boycott or controversy while the GTA games show there is a huge demand for that kind of mature games with mature questions.Fuck the established press

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't see why a full indie should be afraid of boycott or controversy while the GTA games show there is a huge demand for that kind of mature games with mature questions.Fuck the established press

I'm not sure thats the same kind of mature.

FTFY

Bakas

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never much liked Eberron, to be honest, but I don't doubt Obsidian could make an interesting game with the IP.

I have no idea how they would make this work but I want it to happen.

Also, does anyone else think that Archer Protocol would be a pretty awesome game?

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

FTFY

Bakas

avellone being a chrono trigger fanboy is old news

An Eberron game would be sweet.
Not at all familiar with that world, what's "good/ sweet" about it?

Basically it's a setting that is built around the prevalence of lower level magic in everyday life. Magical streetlamps, transportation and the like. In a very rough sense, magic is treated as technology. I think the other main facet is that the existence of other supernatural forces, like extraplanar creatures and deities, isn't explicitly spelled out. Gods aren't just a given, and demons aren't summoned at a whim. I'm actually not certain how it handles the undead, but I think they are far less prevalent. My experience with it is lacking, but it certainly seems pretty interesting.

That said, I'd much rather see Ravenloft in a D&D cRPG and I'd prefer Ravnica: The RPG for my "high magic" gameworld fix. The second seems like a slam-dunk for Wizards of the Coast.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He's been talking about The Wire for years, but I've never been able to envision it. Someone should ask him about his specific idea for a Wire RPG.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
He's been talking about The Wire for years, but I've never been able to envision it. Someone should ask him about his specific idea for a Wire RPG.

An RPG based on The Wire would be easy enough: Story aside, which Avellone no doubt has already thought of, Skills and stats would revolve around various criminal, social and political activities including, but not limited to Gun play, street fighting, Hustling, getting elected, bribery, pimping and various diplomacy skills such as Ebonics Mastery and Being White in a Dark Dark world.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Chris: Each companion is intended to have a storyline, background, and quest that either advances them, ties them to the game story, or ties them to the theme, and preferably, some combination thereof. It may not be exactly like the New Vegas quest structure (we go as far back as Torment internal quests and the KOTOR2 advancement arcs), but companions will have agendas and quests of their own. More on this will likely come out in the coming months (and it may change as the companions are fully fleshed out), although the specifics will likely wait until the players are actually playing the title.

I'd love to see aparallel companion arcs. Not that I want some of them to be, you know, boring, but this modern RPG thing where "every companion has their companion quest" and that's kind of it is...I mean, it doesn't ruin things, but it'd inject a certain element of surprise. I dislike feeling like my companions are just, like, menus and achievement panes.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

He talked about it in detail in the recent one hour podcast: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9137

He talks about The Wire RPG at around 48:00. His idea is basically to play it as one of the district police chiefs, trying to keep crime down, making the right contacts in politics, etc. The interviewers mentioned that it would probably be easy to get that IP since there has not been a game based on the Wire before.

piydek

Cipher

Well, it's all about how you wrap the package and sell it, isn't it? And anyway I don't expect Eternity's mature themes to be in the same realm as GTA's cartoon violence and sexuality.

GlutenBurger

Cipher

I have no idea how they would make this work but I want it to happen.

If he means the post-2000 series, all they'd have to do is make an adventure game in which "use sonic screwdriver" is the solution to every puzzle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom