Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: The Vision Behind Might & Magic X Legacy

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Julien Pirou; Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Stephan Winter; Ubisoft

On our trip to Gamescom, we met two of the key people behind Might & Magic X Legacy: Creative Designer Julien Pirou from Ubisoft and Managing Director of Limbic Entertainment Stephan Winter. Curious to to get a sense of the vision behind this unexpected oldschool title and to understand just how it came to be, we pulled them aside for a conversation, which is summarized in the following report.

Here's a snippet:

Later on, as the company evolved, they decided at one point to sit down and ask “look, what are our IPs? What is classic Ubisoft? What solid brands have we got?”, and of course, the Might & Magic franchise was mentioned. Pirou explains what happened, roughly at least: “So a couple of guys went down into the basement and dug out all the old stuff, finding out what Ubisoft owned and what they could do with it.” That was when Pirou first got the idea to pitch Might & Magic X... but first, he asked the boss of his department whether she would OK a turn-based, old-school follow-up to the Might & Magic series. Pirou doesn't remember the conversation word for word, but he does recall his boss saying something along the lines of “over my dead body.”​

From left to right: Arnaud Fremont - Frank Sawielijew [JarlFrank] - Casper Gronemann [Grunker] - Julien Pirou

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: The Vision Behind Might & Magic X Legacy

himmy

Arcane
TL;DR: Limbic are chill bros.

2LOVMWn.jpg

imweasel

Great read! Lot's of interesting background info. :)

Pirou explains what happened, roughly at least: “So a couple of guys went down into the basement and dug out all the old stuff, finding out what Ubisoft owned and what they could do with it.” That was when Pirou first got the idea to pitch Might & Magic X... but first, he asked the boss of his department whether she would OK a turn-based, old-school follow-up to the Might & Magic series. Pirou doesn't remember the conversation word for word, but he does recall his boss saying something along the lines of “over my dead body.”
:eek:

Fucking dyke popamole whore. :lol:

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
but first, he asked the boss of his department whether she would OK a turn-based, old-school follow-up to the Might & Magic series. Pirou doesn't remember the conversation word for word, but he does recall his boss saying something along the lines of “over my dead body.”

+M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good read! Those Limbic guys sure seem like cool people. Hopefully they are able to make a good game. Cheers to that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paging, Brother None. imweasel, paging Brother None.

Please foward this screenshot of the M&M:L inventory to Mr. Brian Fargo. Thank you.

Brother None doesn't think much of grid inventories and doesn't really understand the whole "PC games must have grid inventories" thing.

That's what too much Fallout on the brain will do to you, I guess. :smug:

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Warriors can use scrolls? Blasphemy! :rpgcodex: (jk)

Grunker said:
Other than our own Luzur and Sceptic, it is probably safe to say that I have never met anyone who knows so much about these games.
What if Pirou is actually Sceptic :)

imweasel

Sorry Grunker, you are right. Can a mod remove that please?

When on the codex, you start using inappropriate terms very loosely for some reason.... :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
oh my god have any of you seen the youtube ad for this? It looks like something from The Wizard, straight out of the early 90s. Amazing and cringeworthy in equal measure.

No, Adblock hides those. Can you record it somehow? It sounds funny.

Repressed Homosexual
Also it is true that Danes are very tall.

My cousin works for a restaurant multinational and frequently has to go to Copenhagen for business. He says as an average French Canadian he almost feels intimidated due to this.

Alex

Arcane

Grunker said:
Other than our own Luzur and Sceptic, it is probably safe to say that I have never met anyone who knows so much about these games.
What if Pirou is actually Sceptic :)

I guess telling you that my DCC RPG hack has any class able to perform magic, if they can learn it [Which is just a qestion of time and maybe finding a teach], will shot my old school cred to nothing :(. On the other hand, they start rolling a d4 instead of a d20, and any spell of level higher than 0 will have catastrophic results on any roll of 4 or below.

Anyway nice article, and sorry for derailing!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brother None doesn't think much of grid inventories and doesn't really understand the whole "PC games must have grid inventories" thing.
I like grid inventories, but I think list inventories are fine too. I don't believe in the inherent superiority of either, or that one is inherently tied to PC and the other to platforms.

Anyway, not a WL2 thread, so move along.

Repressed Homosexual
Wow. :P

If HHR has bought this, you've really done a great job, Grunker!

It was difficult with those generic WoW portraits and this Ashan abomination, though those elements are probably imposed from corporate.

But at least now we know that they know the games back to back and are making the game specifically to please Might and Magic fans such as ourselves.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

I guess telling you that my DCC RPG hack has any class able to perform magic, if they can learn it [Which is just a qestion of time and maybe finding a teach], will shot my old school cred to nothing :(. On the other hand, they start rolling a d4 instead of a d20, and any spell of level higher than 0 will have catastrophic results on any roll of 4 or below.
That's actually cool, access to magic could be a character advancement feature orthogonal to class restrictions, depending how they're done. I mean, wizards can still fight (just much worse than fighters), so having fighters that can cast (just much worse than wizards) is perfectly fine... But, wrong thread and forum :) Also note the "(jk)" in my post :)

Gozma

Arcane
Good shit

I kinda worry if this is doing so well on Steam that Ubi will want to take it away from the weird nerd guy and try to blow it up bigger than it can really get, either this one or a sequel.

Arkeus

Arcane
Good shit

I kinda worry if this is doing so well on Steam that Ubi will want to take it away from the weird nerd guy and try to blow it up bigger than it can really get, either this one or a sequel.
Personally, i worry more that all the people buying the early access means they won't try out the real game, and people who didn't buy the early access don't really realize the game isn't out yet and thus won't look at it when it does come out.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good shit

Well if that's any consolation to you, the game seems to have dropped off Steam's top 20 list earlier today.

It did pretty good though - what, 2 weeks in the top 20? Not bad for an early access game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom