Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #34: Gamescom Demo Video, First Dev Diary Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Matt Findley; Wasteland 2

In today's Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, the rest of us get to see what those lucky folks who went to Gamescom got to see. Without further ado:

Hello backers,

Chris Keenan here for another update. We promised you a new video, and here it is, a twenty minute video walking through the Prison area:

We know there are a few hitches in the video, unfortunately we weren't going to be able to get rid of them without delaying the video, so we prioritized getting this video to you.

The Prison is the 4th or 5th area in the game depending on how you approach it. Wasteland 2 is an open game so potentially, you could travel straight to it if you want a real challenge... but it probably won’t go so well. This area was not built purely for demoing purposes and it is a straight video capture. While the level will be further polished and improved (we’re missing a bunch of sounds among other things), it gives you a sense of the final game flow. The level was the winner of an internal competition process (as mentioned last update). This is only a tiny fraction of the game which is very hard to show in a 20 minute update. It represents about 1/3rd of the prison map and isn’t even one of the larger levels, so you can imagine it can be tricky for us to share enough without too many spoilers or overwhelming you.

Another particular focus of the video is showing the game’s progression, which highlights the back-and-forth communication with you, our backers. From the renaming of the characteristics into the CLASSIC acronym to our multiple iterations on the UI based on very direct but very useful feedback from our fans (and it is still customizable to your tastes, for example you can configure the text window depending on how much you want it to show). It’s safe to say that even apart the crowdfunding that started all this, the game would not be in the state it’s in without your input!

But internal and external feedback aside, it is absolutely key to us to stay true to the game as described in the Vision Document we released early in this game’s development cycle. This video is only a short look at one area, but if you watch it with the Vision Document side-by-side, I think you’ll find we’re touching on every point we promised. We hope you’re as happy with our progress as we are.

First Dev Diary Released

As part of the Kickstarter tiers $30 and up, we promised a four-part development diary, where our team talks about the game’s development. Part one is available now, with CEO Brian Fargo, president Matt Findley and myself talking about the game’s design and writing processes.

If you backed during the Kickstarter for $30 or more, you’ll be able to find the video by logging into your Ranger Center account. Go to the Rewards tab and scroll down to find the video.

A gameplay video, and a dev diary too? Oh boy.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
The game looks very good and the audio is very fitting. God damn, I'm getting hyped and I don't want to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmGthYqTbo

r8Y4eo3.png

:lol:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
On a first glance at the vid...

Overall the game looks and sounds really fun, some rough in the edges (as expected at this stage), but still fun. Waiting for the Beta to get the firsthanders.

And now for some cheap bitching:

Can't help but think that the squaregrid looks really bad both visually and mechanically (no diagonal movement, or did I just not see it?). I don't know the reasons for the change, but I think they shouldn't have. In the first video combat actually looked much better even if it was just shooting flys and maggots briefly, this one looks much more rigid.

And I still haven't started to like that inventory system.

"Fucktard" sounds like internet slang so using it is a bit off in my eyes, but meh. Not a biggie.

But yeah, that's enough moaning for now.

Drowed

Arcane
The yellow-ish inventory still looks kinda bad, but other than that, I'm really liking what I see here.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really like it!

Don't have much else to say. Wish they'd show some overworld travel, but oh well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
needs a better font.
Q and ? distracts the reading.

Jashiin

Arcane
I really really want to play this game, the radio is great and there just seems so much to do.. but let's focus on the negatives:

Just so over saturated. Hope it's the vid but damn, hurts my eyes.
Enemy movement seems very slow, but I'm sure there will be a slider to set their speed.
The UI.
The grid.
Inventory menu is horrible. With pictures you see at a glance what is available, scrolling through those menu's looks as tedious as skyrim's horrid menu's.
Something about the game's graphics just seems like you are looking through a dirty window. There's a crispness that is so lacking, everything looks out of focus somehow, just doesn't seem to improve with new shots and vids.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Interface still looks like crap, especialy the missmatch trade UI, with minimalist yellow icons with retro-futuristic elements... they should either go with one style or the other, no mix both.

Otherwise, gameplay looks fun, can't wait :)

likaq

Arcane
Dev diary is awesome.Better than prison video.
Then speak mainly about writing and C&C.
:thumbsup:

I already :love: Wasteland 2.

Last edited:

keppj0nes

Educated
-I hope one of those screaming goats is an audio clip of Brian Fargo. They are great

-The square grid is odd, but does it actually limit movement, or does it just serve as a place for character to stand after free movement?

-Really not a fan of the inventory setup. I'd like much bigger icons/pictures of the items to drool over.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
also what the hell..? brownyellow text on brownyellow box?
ffs.jpg
that's barely readable.
and as previously covered, the AP counter is (bad) style over function, and the white names in the combat log makes no sense.
The end turn button is used frequently, so why doesn't it have a more prominent position and a bigger size?
The text being "written out" like some JRPG is extremely annoying.
I don't know if they should switch out their UI designers or their play-testers, but they clearly have a weak link in their UI workflow.

besides that, there seems to be a lot of sounds missing, especially walking and using skills.

also, I don't think I ever saw a character gaining exp outside of combat?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
besides that, there seems to be a lot of sounds missing, especially walking and using skills.

While the level will be further polished and improved (we’re missing a bunch of sounds among other things), it gives you a sense of the final game flow.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The game has limited time quests, I imagine? Especially with ones you get through radio.

It's all good. There's puzzles, objects to be found etc.

The point(for me, uh, as adventurer first of all) is that finding those items, solving the situations in a smart way, IS tough, not handheld, not obvious. That's the whole point, that's how games were better, back then! They thought players had some kind of intellect and they could handle feeling sort of LOST

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
zazahh.gif

Look at all those damage numbers popping out from target like in a true console game!? :greatjob:
At least they can change the numbers color to be more visible.

I really like the blood splutter animation, a clearly progression from the abysmal blood shroud from the first presentation.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Awesome. This looks like the best combat system in an isometric RPG.

Wizfall

Cipher
Very happy about the video.
Three complaints though :
- Enemies movements are very slow, a slider to drastically increase their speed is mandatory. Would be a nightmare without one, especially for replay and bigger battles. In JA2 1.13 you can speed up by huge amount enemies animations as well as your own and it's my favorite utility feature. The game will be barely playable without one, really an absolute top priority for me. Moreover with a slider InXile could implement much bigger battles without worrying too much about their length.
- Th UI is fine, even the printer that i disliked at first did not bother me and only the huge dot for AP is bad. But i dislike the inventory UI.
- While the music is excellent, i disliked it during the combat (it did not fit at all IMO).
Overall very good feeling about that video.

drae

Augur
Looking forward to this game more than Torment and PE.

The UI is good, except the dot AP thing. The inventory UI is meh, but it's not a big deal. Gameplay looks excellent.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Disliked what they showed of the writing and flow of dialog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom