Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #31: PAX Demo Screenshots and Q&A

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

As Dead State nears completion, updates are becoming more frequent. The latest Kickstarter update has some information on the demo that will be shown at PAX Prime next week, including a short Q&A and a batch of new screenshots.

Here’s what we’re showing off in the demo:
-The first 2 days of the game (with an abbreviated intro to get into the action faster)
-First look at the starter allies
-Dialogue reactivity to decisions, ally deaths, and ally requests
-The shelter and the shelter’s job board for assigning ally tasks
-Group combat, several weapons and armor types, statuses, and healing
-Zombies grapple, bite, and can takedown humans
-Allies/enemies killed by zombies will come back as a zombie
-A more dangerous group of human enemies
-Daily Results screen
-The Area Map
-Several combat areas
-New music tracks and sounds

Played through completely, it takes roughly thirty minutes to finish the demo, with several factors that can change the experience for each player. We’ll be there to give a brief tutorial and answer questions along the way. The demo is based on our Alpha build, and as a work in progress, you can expect some changes from now until release.

We’ve got DoubleBear pins to trade for evacuation notices (look for our personnel handing them out on the show floor), shirts for sale (including Friggin’ Chikin shirts), and for the first 100 or so people that play the demo per day, a special piece of swag.​

Here's an excerpt from the Q&A:

How long will the game be?

-We estimate at least 30+ hours, but that’s a very modest estimate. If the demo of the first two days takes about 30 minutes without the intro and the game takes place over A LOT more time than that, you can do the math. It’s a pretty big game.

Is this just another zombie game?

If you can think of any other real world RPGs with branching narratives and an emphasis on long-term survival and the psychology of survivors, while the zombies (which are never referred to with the “Z” word in-game) are just kind of a background issue, then yes.

Is it a for-real RPG?

-Yes, barring any silly debates of what an RPG is, the full game has got character creation, equipment, loot (yes, even on bodies), stats, non-linear levels, and most importantly, thousands of lines of reactive dialogue with choices that actually matter.

There’s so much stuff in the game that it physically hurts my brain to think of every system and character at once… The last time I did, I blacked out and woke up in the Ozarks, so please, let’s not cause any additional fugue states for the project lead.

I heard you started making this game in 1942! Why is this game not done yet?!

-Actually, this month celebrates one year of funded full-time development and most of the game has been developed in that year. Before, in the long ago before Kickstarter, we had a few people working on the game part-time, which for an RPG is like trying to build a skyscraper with enthusiasm and some cinder blocks. RPGs are like making five games and a novel and a movie where the audience votes on what happens in the next scene. We’re still a team of about fifteen, which is about 35 shy of a skeleton crew on most large games. We’ve come a long way to be able to have a playable demo and we’re really happy to be finally showing off the game to the public.
Well well, somebody's definitely been lurking on the Codex.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nice to know it's progressing well.
Makes me not as regretful for having backed it- I honestly do hope it'll end up great.

I also wish they'll put that video up for backers as well. Annoying how both them and Inxile prefer some people at cons over the crowd that actually funded them.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
10132.jpg

10113.jpg

Dead State appears more pleasing to the eye than Wasteland.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They both look the same to me. The Wasteland 2 render might be slightly lower res or maybe it has some kind of filter applied to it?

likaq

Arcane
I feel Dead State will be a better CRPG than Wasteland 2.
Time will tell.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Seriously can't wait to give this thing a spin. This is what I'm most looking forward to about PAX.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game looks and sounds awesome, but I still hate the discofloor ground when in combat. It looks fucking atrocious.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Yah, Wasteland 2 may be devoid of great art direction but at least it doesn't look like The Sims or art taken from some generic 3D model library. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dead-state-revealed.48418/page-3#post-1290467 remains relevant three years later, which is unfortunate since AoD improved considerably.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
BTW, regarding the demo...

"I just wanted to respond to everyone asking about why we're showing the demo at PAX and not releasing it to backers or pre-order folks right now. Just so everyone knows, it's more of a scheduling issue than anything else.

-There will be a video of the demo released after PAX
We don't have the time to put up a completely narrated thirty minute video right now, but we will put together a video of the demo after PAX. Most likely, there will be plenty of footage of the demo out there during and after PAX too. PAX prep is taking up a lot of our time right now - it was always our intention to do one public showing to do some publicity for the game, but just PAX because it's in Seattle and we don't have the time or budget to do more than one convention. We don't do press often, so this was the easiest way for us to do a lot of press at once.

-Releasing a demo as a consumer product requires a lot more work than showing it off ourselves

Showing off a demo and releasing a consumer version are two entirely different projects. When we show it off, we're there to guide players through the demo, answer questions, explain controls or systems, and take care of any technical issues if they arise. Releasing it to the public requires us to remove non-essential files from the build, add in more tutorial text, thoroughly test our release candidate, and finally, figure out a distribution method.

-We will eventually release the demo, though we wanted to add some more polish and features to it first

We've been talking internally about releasing the demo at some point, however, we would like to add in additional features and polish to release a expanded PAX demo that offers a more finalized version of the game. There are a few elements of the demo that we simplified to make it easier and faster to show, which we would prefer to add back in for a consumer version. We've also received a lot of team feedback that we would like to address to make the demo experience smoother, especially when we're not around to explain work in progress issues.

-We need to make time in our schedule to put out a demo release.

To release a consumer version of the demo, it needs to be treated like any release and that's going to require fitting the consumer demo into our schedule somewhere. It will need to be a separate branch of the build that contains just the parts of the game relating to the demo. That's something we have slotted closer to Beta on the schedule, but we'll need to determine the best time to get that done. I know everyone who backed it wants to play the demo, so please be patient with us. Getting the actual game out is our top priority, but we'll do what we can to get a demo out there for you."

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Whether or not graphical content of Dead State is more appealing to the eye is debatable. However, Wastelands' atmosphere looks far more fitting.

Dead State isn't chaotic enough for me - The Sims living quarters, too many parked cars, too few wrecked vehicles, too few government vehicles (police vehicles, military, ambulances, etc), too few boarded houses. It just doesn't seem believable to me for a zombie apocalypse. Of course, the released images could be completely misleading and the actual content could be stellar.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wasteland is a bit more 'vibrant' than Dead State but I think both look fine. Not a huge fan of the Dead State portraits but I can live with them.

It's still weird how a lot of upcoming (or "upcoming") bedroom crpg's, like Underrail, Tangut Prophecy and What Remains, look so much better than both these games. But maybe that's purely a 2D thing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you're talking about graphics then out of all of those you named only What Remains is arguably better looking. The rest aren't. Not under any objective criteria.

If you're talking about graphics then out of all of those you named only What Remains is arguably better looking. The rest aren't. Not under any objective criteria.

Well, you called a game which is looking more generic with each new released screenshot "vibrant" looking, so I'll take my extremely objective criteria of good lookingness over yours any day buddy!

Edit: Now that's what I call "vibrant" by any objective measure!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Now you're just becoming a shit poster like Kony who plays the contrarian just for the lulz.

Well, you called a game which is looking more generic with each new released screenshot "vibrant" looking, so I'll take my extremely objective criteria of good lookingness over yours any day buddy!

Edit: Now that's what I call "vibrant" by any objective measure!

I meant the color scheme, you dumbfuck.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Now you're just becoming a shit poster like Kony who plays the contrarian just for the lulz.

Now you're just posting butthurt for lacking arguments. Dead State next to other low-budget 3D is like modern military FPS, you identify them by the UI.

planet-alcatraz-screenshot-3.jpg

gX3wRw.jpg

Brigade+E5+New+Jagged+Union+-+3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom