Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Darklands

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arnold Hendrick; Darklands; Microprose

You know that last year we did a retrospective interview on Darklands, open-world RPG designed by Arnold Hendrick and released by Microprose by 1992. If that didn't convince you to give the game a try, perhaps this review by Darth Roxor might. Have a snippet:

Good ol’ Darklands. In the Academagia review I did for the Codex, I wrote that I wished it had just been a gigantic text adventure. I have reconsidered that opinion a bit since then, because while that might be an improvement for a game like Academagia, I believe that kind of thing would make Darklands a much less “full” experience. While rather awful mechanically, the combat engine still serves its purpose; improving and not removing it would be the best course of action.

Everything else, however, stays the same. Microprose gave us an absolute classic that should be checked out by every self-respecting RPG enthusiast out there, especially those who favour simulation above all else. It also makes an excellent treat for those who have a big love for history. Not to mention that the game is simply a gift that keeps on giving because just about everything in it is procedurally generated, so no two playthroughs are the same, and you’re bound to stumble upon something new each time you press “create a new world”.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Darklands

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Nice review, thanks Rox :)
I did not know back then that what it does is 'procedurally-generating'..made me smile reading it now however, contemplating and comparing what was and what is, norms wise..

Thanks again;

(and lol about the Sawyer influence..you are so mean)

Morphi

Augur
Historical Correctness: I was pissed when the Speyer Cathredal was described as gothic in game but being there some months before it was clearly romanesque.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
This game was amazing. Where is my Kickstarter remake? I would throw some serious coin at that. Especially if they implemented turn based combat. I get a raging RPG boner just thinking about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game was amazing. Where is my Kickstarter remake? I would throw some serious coin at that. Especially if they implemented turn based combat. I get a raging RPG boner just thinking about it.

The last time we heard from him, Mr. Arnold Hendrick was still obsessed with the glorious tablet future. I wonder if the events of the past year have changed his mind.

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

:Flash:

Arcane
A good trip down the memory lane -> thank you Darth Roxor.

The old big game box.
Is that a correct representation of the game's map?
According to the review the map is historically accurate, but that map is more or less just a map of modern day Germany and has absolutely nothing to do with medieval times, both regarding the names and the importance of cities.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The old big game box.
According to the review the map is historically accurate, but that map is more or less just a map of modern day Germany and has absolutely nothing to do with medieval times, both regarding the names and the importance of cities.

The map is not bad - look here for example.

Keep in mind that the map of Germany in the Dark Ages was changing continually. There were always some fights going on that changed the map.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nice review! I have little memory of Darklands, so I suppose it is about time for a replay.

:Flash:

Arcane

The old big game box.

The map is not bad - look here for example.

Keep in mind that the map of Germany in the Dark Ages was changing continually. There were always some fights going on that changed the map.
That is also a map that uses modern day English and German names. E.g. the spelling Köln only became in use around 1800.

Oh, Darklands! For the first time I've tried to play them back in 90s, on my first PC, 486DX2-80. Unfortunately, I had a really buggy pirate copy, as in Russia at that time it was practically impossible to get licensed games (only some people who had friends or relatives in western countries could obtain them). I enjoyed the game immensely, despite numerous crashes, buggy quests, and my not-so-perfect grasp of English language at the time. I hadn't got Internet those days, so patching was out of the question. But even many technical problems almost hadn't lowered my enjoyment. Sadly, they had prevented me to finish the game, and I vowed to try it again some day. Now I've got a GoG copy, but haven't got time.

But the game was really incredible, I remember a manual in text file that came with it, it was massive. It contained historical background, fluff, and so much other information, and it was very well written. A saddest thing, though. At the end of the manual developers stated that we can export our characters and port them into planned sequel - which was never created.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @Darth Roxor. :greatjob:

Dangersaurus

Novice
The character generation is deep. The writing is unobtrusive, borderline good. The choose-your-own-adventure style system rewards playing in character over metagaming (except in a couple of places ex: witch villages).

...and then the combat shits all over it and makes me go play something fun.

dieu

Learned

The old big game box.
Importance of cities isn't done too badly, I remember Berlin being an unremarkable little village. I guess every other unremarkable little village didn't get the same attention, which you might find questionable, but it certainly didn't break my immershun. Attention to detail makes Darklands so much fun to romp around in.

Great review

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Just installed it again. I have a full version with box and map and manual and reference card.

deuxhero

Arcane
May give this a play, though I loathe RTWP shit.

Was having a single old guy to "carry" 3 green guys viable?

Balor

Arcane
Yea, Darklands remake would be a KILLER.
Simply graphics and engine rewamp would be enough, though I'd not mind a 'Dark Side' campaign.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Didn't Sawyer say that a Darklands remake would be high on the list of games he would like to work on next?

Borelli

Arcane
While most RPGs of the era were still clinging to the past because of technological limitations through the use of turn-based combat, Darklands went one step ahead and introduced an Innovative Real-Time With Pause™ system.
:smug:
When it comes to combat, Darklands' armor system is just brutal. The raubritter's plate mail is simply unbreachable without vulnerable combat stance or strong 2h/blunt weapons.

Not to mention that the game is simply a gift that keeps on giving because just about everything in it is procedurally generated, so no two playthroughs are the same, and you’re bound to stumble upon something new each time you press “create a new world”.
My first and only Darklands game lasted for i think 9 in game years, and after that time there is nothing that you can stumble upon that could be called new but then, i did not rush the main plot and wanted to explore as much as i could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom