Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #62: Production Milestone Report - Areas, Characters, Features

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update is a report on the game's "Production 01" milestone. The folks at Obsidian have been working their asses off on creating the game's first city, Defiance Bay, which I assume will be the setting for the game's upcoming vertical slice demonstration. New employees have been hired, new art assets have been created and new features have been programmed. I'll quote the part about the features, since it's the most interesting:

Journal
We now have a fully functional quest journal in place that allows players to see their quest progress. The UI is currently being implemented, but it is looking great.

Conversations
While we have been getting more and more Alpha UI into the game, I was particularly happy with how the conversation UI came out. Take a look for yourself, though. Even though this is still a work in progress, I think everyone did a great job. Let us know what you think of the conversation UI in our forums.

Stronghold
Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place. There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.

World Map
Eternity now has a fully functional world map. When the party enters a qualifying transition, the world map appears. Players can then select to travel to a location by selecting that icon on the map.

Fog of War
One focus for this milestone was to get our Fog of War system in place. Beyond a few tweaks, Adam is pretty close to slaying that beast. It's a really robust system he created that takes some inspiration from rogue-like games. Using Adam's tool, designers can quickly create a fog map, edit it, and set locations that should only be revealed at specific times.

AI
Steve, our AI Programmer, has been putting work into spellcasting AI this milestone and it is coming out nicely. Enemies are more crafty than they were now that they are casting spells intelligently. There's going to be even more AI work - roles for our enemy AIs, for example - put into our next milestone.
There's also some concept art of a new monster, the wicht. Wichts are described by Josh Sawyer as "the bodies of children that were born without souls, grew to adolescence, and were then possessed by a malevolent lost soul or soul fragment that has been artificially inserted through animancy". I can see the quest hook already...

garren

Arcane
Patron
Pretty nice, the only thing that stands out to me is that the description text should maybe be colored differently (first paragraph), also the innkeepers name is useless in front of it.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, even the convo UI is a throwback to the IE games. Not that I mind, but they're really cloning the Infinity Engine.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wow. They've done a lot of work. A lot of good work, by the looks of it.

I like the conversation UI, but I have some nitpicking and comments (as always, when it comes to UI).
PEDIA.jpg

The yellow suggestion is only valid if they're using a relative scrollbar which doesn't change exact position. If they do, a "scroll to last line" button would be unnecessary.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Are all those empty spaces to the side for the character portraits of all the characters participating in the dialogue? Would be cool, especially if your companions frequently butt in like they did in PS:T.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Are all those empty spaces to the side for the character portraits of all the characters participating in the dialogue? Would be cool, especially if your companions frequently butt in like they did in PS:T.
Uh, I wouldn't count on it.
Probably just a place-holder.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My thick eyebrows do not scale to your level.

No but seriously it's just placeholder text to show the font and layout.

A user named cat

Why is a silvery tooth strange? What makes a smile fat?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
My thick eyebrows do not scale to your level.

No but seriously it's just placeholder text to show the font and layout.

Might not be.

J.E. Saywer on Obsidian forums said:
It's the opening node of the dialogue so the choices are straightforward. Players will have more personality-laden replies when they make sense in the context and will go somewhere interesting.

Why is a silvery tooth strange? What makes a smile fat?
They could be specifying that the tooth is both strange and silvery.

I found "to your level" the most jarring part of the dialogue in writing terms but to be fair, he could be talking to an Orlan or an Aumaua so..

Pelvis Knot

Cipher

Funny how the brain works... Some things just get wired forever in you - (snake - disgust) - (IE - joy)
This picture here is enough to to improve my mood - I don't need to follow the development anymore, because I will fucking enjoy this game to heavens just on pure fanboyism. Not even Sawyer can ruin it for me.

Someone should force inXile to base their UI on this

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My first though was that they inserted a screenshot from IWD or IWD2 for reference (I know BG/BG2/PST UIs too well to confuse them with anything), but then I realised that this is a PE thing.
Wow, even the convo UI is a throwback to the IE games. Not that I mind, but they're really cloning the Infinity Engine.
So yeah, this.

Aside from the UI, there's plenty of good info in the update. Ideas for the Stronghold seem really cool. Hiring guards to protect the keep from a possible robbery? Sending followers on missions? Sign me up! The wicht creature idea is rather neat too, although I can't really imagine how these children reach their age without having souls in the first place (?).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The wicht creature idea is rather neat too, although I can't really imagine how these children reach their age without having souls in the first place (?).
From Sawyer's words I gather it is like children born with Dawn-syndrome, who are brought up and taken care by the parents for the rest of their life.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The wicht creature idea is rather neat too, although I can't really imagine how these children reach their age without having souls in the first place (?).
From Sawyer's words I gather it is like children born with Dawn-syndrome, who are brought up and taken care by the parents for the rest of their life.
Yes, I've seen his response quoted on Obsidian forums. Wichts probably are created very infrequently (a soulless child must be born then reach adolescence and then get possessed). I wonder if we will meet them in packs, or will they be lone and rare creatures (as it should be IMO).

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I don't like this. I was hoping for something in the spirit of IE games, not the exact copy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom