Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Josh Sawyer on the importance of real-world knowledge for game design

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment

It's been a long time since Josh Sawyer last updated his YouTube channel. In the following video, Josh talks about how knowledge of topics such as history, theology, science and linguistics have helped him design better games, particularly in the case of Fallout: New Vegas.

I like how he can't resist taking a potshot at bad fantasy and science fiction game writers at 6:50.

Balor

Arcane
I just love how the ads mesh into the newspost text.
"Josh talks about how knowledge of topics such as history, theology, science and linguistics have helped him Visit our sponsors!"

Balor

Arcane
Patrons don't have adds. Support Codexia with your potato!
But then I'll be missing on those funny newsposts. This is by no means first occurrence, I just could not be assed to comment.
Well, perhaps when there would be an other fundraising drive (and I'll have enough money to feed myself AND maintain my stable of bikes)...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I have given potato but kept ads on so the Codex also gets ad revenue. #doublepatron

More on topic, that was a good video and I could not agree more with him, I've always felt proper research is vitally important in any creative effort. Subvert reality as much as you like, yes, but understand it before you subvert it. Don't just ignore it. That's the mark of bad writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, never forget Brian Mitsoda's skyscrapers in Rome or how the finished Alpha Protocol referred to magazines as clips.

Balor

Arcane
I have given potato but kept ads on so the Codex also gets ad revenue. #doublepatron

More on topic, that was a good video and I could not agree more with him, I've always felt proper research is vitally important in any creative effort. Subvert reality as much as you like, yes, but understand it before you subvert it. Don't just ignore it. That's the mark of bad writing.

Well, it is not a matter of reality, but of internal consistency and proper fleshing out of the game mechanics, setting, etc.
You can have a game that has NOTHING to do with reality and still be internally consistent.
Question is, is would be an inhuman effort - that would be lost on most players that would fail to relate.
Hence, shamelessly borrow stuff from RL, and modify it a bit to incorporate fantasy or SF elements.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I completely agree with his point about how it's important to study and research how other people thought and acted on certain subjects alien to yourself. I have a long grudge that the lack of interest and knowledge on the outside world is what is destroying manga/anime & jRPGs... If all your games are designed by Tokyo otakus who's entire life was just going to school and watching anime/playing jRPGs, then it reaches a point where they don't have the repertoire to produce anything besides otaku circle-jerking and cliche school stuff.

On a side note, shame on you Sawyer; drop the Kwa shit and learn a second language.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On a side note, shame on you Sawyer; drop the Kwa shit and learn a second language.

FWIW, he seems to be semi-fluent in German. I guess he's not good enough at it to consider it a language he "knows".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
FWIW, he seems to be semi-fluent in German. I guess he's not good enough at it to consider it a language he "knows".
Well, I guess it's something commendable... better than many kwas I met that speak 10 words in spanish and say they know two languages...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this the first time Josh said he was Atheist/Agnostic?
No. http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/342505014226340423

http://spring.me/JESawyer/q/219660925181917159

I took three years of French but damn me if I remember any of it now. I also used to speak my mother's language when I was a kid, particularly to converse with her mother, but that too has been forgotten. :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Josh Sawyer said:
I'll re-state what I wrote before: I want romance to receive either less or more attention in games. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, especially when it's something with so much emotional potential. But I certainly don't want to go the route of harem anime, which is total fantasy indulgence and gross pandering.
You're late Sawyer... oh, so late...

A user named cat

Sawyer talking...

Wr2hrGQ.png

Lancehead

Liturgist
Interesting to hear Sawyer, who has a somewhat-exaggerated "fuck realism!" reputation, talk about how important it is to be grounded and realistic when it comes to settings, characters, and interactions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Josh Sawyer said:
I'll re-state what I wrote before: I want romance to receive either less or more attention in games. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, especially when it's something with so much emotional potential. But I certainly don't want to go the route of harem anime, which is total fantasy indulgence and gross pandering.
You're late Sawyer... oh, so late...

"Gross" is such a woman's word.. you don't usually hear men using it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting to hear Sawyer, who has a somewhat-exaggerated "fuck realism!" reputation, talk about how important it is to be grounded and realistic when it comes to settings, characters, and interactions.
He doesn't care about simulation through game mechanics, but it's been clear all along he does care about creating believable worlds.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've nothing against the gameworld grounded a bit in reality, but not when you then proceed to create shit like Caesars Legion. :roll:

Lancehead

Liturgist
He doesn't care about simulation through game mechanics, but it's been clear all along he does care about creating believable worlds.
Well, yes, and it's interesting that he doesn't see (or care for) any disconnect between gameworld and game mechanics that don't simulate the gameworld as long as the latter are well-balanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom