Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo on inXile's Darkest, Publisher-Driven Days

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); Brian Fargo; Hunted: The Demon's Forge; InXile Entertainment

Rock Paper Shotgun's Nathan Grayson still isn't done telling the story of his visit to inXile Entertainment. The latest entry in his tale is an interview with Brian Fargo about inXile's pre-Kickstarter days. Here's an excerpt:

RPS: It's interesting that you went from something like Hunted: Demon’s Forge to this. That, to me, felt like an RPG that was all of the… “This needs to be on console, so we have to include elements from shooters and things like that” obligatory pandering.

Fargo: The original pitch for that was to be a dungeon crawl. That was what that game wanted to be. Then it got slowly changed to become more of a shooter. But that's not my background, so… To me, that was a typical failing, where you have the arguments about what a product should be and everything that goes with it. People don’t know sometimes how little the developer can have input-wise into a product, even if it's theirs. The opening cinematics weren't done by us. The voice casting was not done by us. We didn't get to direct the voices in the game. There are all these things that go on that are just pulled away from the developer, that we had no control over.

Ultimately, the people that control the purse strings are going to control the direction of the product. But yeah, how it came out was very different than what my pitch was.

RPS: When that happened, was it basically devastating?

Fargo: Extremely so. Frustrating. Very frustrating. Because ultimately… It's like when Obsidian took a hit on their Metacritic and didn't get their bonus. Mostly they got dinged because it was a buggy product. Obsidian, their reputation was taking a hit for shipping buggy products. They don't control QA. The publisher controls it. The publisher always controls QA. They decide when it's done. There’s no bug we can't fix. There’s no bug they can't fix. Somebody made a conscious decision – because there was a list. I guarantee you the QA department had a list of bugs. They said, “We don't care. We gotta ship it anyway.” Why does the developer lose their bonus and get their reputation killed for that?

So yeah, you can imagine – even if it's a different scenario – how it can be frustrating to be a developer doing work when you're the one that's taking it every which way. You’re usually not making money, either. I would run the numbers on games and say, “Look. You guys are up $20 million in profit. It’s my idea. I came to you. I did 100 percent of the work. And guess what? I don’t mind if you make more money than me. That doesn't bother me, because you took the financial risk. However, when you’re up $20 million after paying your marketing and everything, don’t you think we deserve $1 million?” Nope. So yes, it's frustrating.

RPS: What about your history, though? Do you think you’ll keep revisiting aspects of it? What about Bard’s Tale, for instance?

Fargo: I hate to comment on what we're going to do next, because we have a lot of different ideas, but I’d be more likely to do something more for my core audience than I would to do something off-kilter. We have our niche. It’s role-playing games. One guy’s going to have a niche for train simulators. I think we’re all going to have our different niches. I feel like I know what this audience loves. I’m good at delivering it. So I’m more likely to stay in that wheelhouse.

Comedy [ala the most recent Bard's Tale] is tough, though. I just find that with humor, everybody has an opinion on it. We were going to do a Bard’s Tale 2 Disney, actually. Kind of a funny story. They loved Bard’s Tale, right? So we had this letter of intent in place. We delivered a script. And then somebody on their team, who was an accountant, said, “This isn't funny.” It was only a first draft. We were going to make a thousand iterations over the next year and a half. It was just to get going. “Well, it's not funny.” So I was talking to one of the executives there and I said, “Okay. We think it’s funny. She didn't think it’s funny. We have just shipped a game that we wrote, Bard’s Tale, that people said is the funniest game of all time. So being that we’re like this, wouldn't you give us the nod? Wouldn't you think that maybe we had it? You know, the accountant, she hasn't done this before.” Nope. Killed us. For that and for some other reasons. But it wasn't funny [laughs].​

Hmmm, I hope we get to see the design documents of the dungeon crawler Hunted someday.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fargo: Extremely so. Frustrating. Very frustrating. Because ultimately… It's like when Obsidian took a hit on their Metacritic and didn't get their bonus. Mostly they got dinged because it was a buggy product. Obsidian, their reputation was taking a hit for shipping buggy products. They don't control QA. The publisher controls it. The publisher always controls QA. They decide when it's done. There’s no bug we can't fix. There’s no bug they can't fix. Somebody made a conscious decision – because there was a list. I guarantee you the QA department had a list of bugs. They said, “We don't care. We gotta ship it anyway.” Why does the developer lose their bonus and get their reputation killed for that?

Haven't read the whole thing yet, but this sounds whiny to me. Developer goes over the deadline and keeps presenting a buggy product. When publisher finally tires of waiting a forces a release, Fargo whines that it's all the publisher's fault?

This argument taken to its natural conclusion means that a developer can never be at fault for anything technically wrong with the game. Like Fargo says: They can fix any bug, hypothetically, so it's gotta be the fault of those that can't (publisher).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Haven't read the whole thing yet, but this sounds whiny to me. Developer goes over the deadline and keeps presenting a buggy product. When publisher finally tires of waiting a forces a release, Fargo whines that it's all the publisher's fault?

This argument taken to its natural conclusion means that a developer can never be at fault for anything technically wrong with the game. Like Fargo says: They can fix any bug, hypothetically, so it's gotta be the fault of those that can't (publisher).

When Fargo was a publisher himself, he had a history giving third party developers more time to polish their games, so I can understand why this kind of thing rankles him.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

If bug fixes are all that's left the publisher could do that themselves. Also, Bethesda shortened New Vegas's development time, at no point was Obsidian behind the original schedule. So with the example he uses, yeah Obsidian got screwed.

Also one man's "natural conclusion" is another man's reductio ad absurdum. He's not saying games needs to be released as flawless masterpieces, but New Vegas was basically completely broken before it was patched. So yes, Bethesda should have paid for the week or two it would have taken to get it in a proper releasable state.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
New Vegas was basically completely broken before it was patched..

Yeah yeah, anectodal evidence, but New Vegas is the only Obisidan game I've played through without encountering many bugs.

Also, Bethesda shortened New Vegas's development time, at no point was Obsidian behind the original schedule

Obsidian said yes to a contract that allowed Bethesda to do this, or are you implying Bethesda broke the contract?

I am by no means saying the publisher is without responsibility, but neither is the developer.

I dislike publishers because their interest will always be the widest audience possible, and that's a shitty way to do both business (unless you're a major player) and games. Blaming publishers entirely for development seems kind of backwards to me though.

Last edited:

Oesophagus

Arcane
It's always the publishers fault. They're evil child molesting rwandan-kids-their-water-stealing money grabbing devil worshipping assholes. All of them.
Well Bethesda is. I would say on a par with Leopold II

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah yeah, anectodal evidence, but New Vegas is the only Obisidan game I've played through without encountering many bugs.
Ok, go find an unpatched copy and see how it plays. There was a patch in the first week that fixed the biggest problems, so consumers weren't really affected by them, but since reviewers get advanced copies they didn't have the patch which lowers the metacritic rating.
Obsidian said yes to a contract that allowed Bethesda to do this, or are you implying Bethesda broke the contract?
In the words of Darth Vader and Anthony Davis, they "altered the deal".

I don't know the specifics (and probably only about 5 people in the world know all of them), but the development time was shortened from the originally agreed upon schedule. I don't know if that means 1) it was just a verbal agreement and was never in paper, 2) Bethesda pulled some shenanigans to get Obsidian to agree to a new contract, or 3) the contract included a way for Bethesda to change the time table if they felt so inclined (pun not intended).

It doesn't really matter at all. Just because Obsidian agreed to a bad contract that doesn't make it "right" for Bethesda to take full advantage of the situation. Which is Fargo's whole point. As an independent developer you lack leverage and publishers can take advantage of you, and there's not much you can do about it.

Your counter-point was, "well should publishers just indeterminate amounts of time waiting around for something to be finished, and doesn't this mean no game should ever have a single bug", which was never the point.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
tuluse said:
Ok, go find an unpatched copy and see how it plays.

My entire first playthrough was with one. I almost didn't have access to the net the first time I played it. I had a few minor bugs, and a single major one. Anyway, it was just a fun anecdote. Like I said, it's not really an argument.

I understand that the Anthony Davis thread is interesting and I follow it myself, but I hope you understand a source with such obvious ties and loyalty to Obsidian isn't a stellar witness in the case of Publishers vs. Obsidian.

If you think otherwise, then everything Peter Ohlmann said on the topic of Chaos Chronicles should be enough truth for you.

Just because Obsidian agreed to a bad contract that doesn't make it "right" for Bethesda to take full advantage of the situation.

I don't give two tits what is "right." I care about this discussion, and this discussion is about whether Obsidian is, partly or not, at fault for the buggyness of their games, and whether their reputation should reflect that fact. I see very little evidence to absolve them from all crimes like Fargo suggests.

Monty

Arcane
Developer goes over the deadline and keeps presenting a buggy product. When publisher finally tires of waiting a forces a release, Fargo whines that it's all the publisher's fault?
In general I would agree with Grunker but given that the publisher shortened the development time I don't think it's reasonable in this case.

As Fargo implied, the power in these relationships lies with the publisher. The fact that the contract allowed them to move up the deadline doesn't absolve the publisher of blame when the finished product is buggy, particularly given their role in QA.

If Inxile had agreed to the initial deadline and then not met it then I'd agree with you.

Dantus12

Educated
Never played a bug free Obsidian game, there are others that apparently did, some where caused by DRM, Alpha Protocol for example, but the blame game is
a bit to strong particularly now when the infamous Koch Media has distribution rights on Wasteland 2. Another one that is known for strong DRM.
---------------

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Developer goes over the deadline and keeps presenting a buggy product. When publisher finally tires of waiting a forces a release, Fargo whines that it's all the publisher's fault?
In general I would agree with Grunker but given that the publisher shortened the development time I don't think it's reasonable in this case.

As Fargo implied, the power in these relationships lies with the publisher. The fact that the contract allowed them to move up the deadline doesn't absolve the publisher of blame when the finished product is buggy, particularly given their role in QA.

If Inxile had agreed to the initial deadline and then not met it then I'd agree with you.

I agree that's one of the reasons publishers as a concept suck, but it takes two to tango, and you can't just break contractual agreements like this.

potatojohn

Arcane
I never understood what the deal was with New Vegas. I completed almost all of the game on release and the only issue I had was an un-completeable quest with the canyon tribals.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
RPS: It's interesting that you went from something like Hunted: Demon’s Forge to this. That, to me, felt like an RPG that was all of the… “This needs to be on console, so we have to include elements from shooters and things like that” obligatory pandering.

Fargo: The original pitch for that was to be a dungeon crawl. That was what that game wanted to be. Then it got slowly changed to become more of a shooter. But that's not my background, so… To me, that was a typical failing, where you have the arguments about what a product should be and everything that goes with it. People don’t know sometimes how little the developer can have input-wise into a product, even if it's theirs. The opening cinematics weren't done by us. The voice casting was not done by us. We didn't get to direct the voices in the game. There are all these things that go on that are just pulled away from the developer, that we had no control over.

Ultimately, the people that control the purse strings are going to control the direction of the product. But yeah, how it came out was very different than what my pitch was.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's always the publishers fault. They're evil child molesting rwandan-kids-their-water-stealing money grabbing devil worshipping assholes. All of them.

Yawn. There it goes again.

No, of course, publishers are never guilty of anything and they never try to twist things in their favor. Only developers ever do that. Case of evil publishers vs. case of evil developers. Which is more retarded and why.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tuluse said:

I understand that the Anthony Davis thread is interesting and I follow it myself, but I hope you understand a source with such obvious ties and loyalty to Obsidian isn't a stellar witness in the case of Publishers vs. Obsidian.

Is it really so hard to believe, though? Remember LucasArts royally screwing Free Radical in their face over Battlefront 3? They basically said 'We don't give a shit about the contract because you don't have resources to take us to court. So suck it.'

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Obviously Bethesda saw how much better New Vegas was than their pile of garbage, so they made sure the game released buggy to save their reputation with popamole reviewers as the king of fake RPGs. I wouldn't be surprised if Beth actually reverted the entire game to pre-alpha patches just before sending it to reviewers.

Hell, they probably got a progress report on the game, though, "Damn this is really good. Todd Howard is such a moron. That bonus is in the bag. Um, let's reduce their development time, we can't let the game get any better."

/tinfoil hat

Seerix

Arbiter
Life isn't perfect and games aren't easy to make, especially cRPG's.

Apparently, when somebody calls something out and they're straight about it, they're suddenly "whiny", "childish", "rude", "immature", etc.? Using New Vegas example, I'd say that for Bethesda there's no difference between quality of their FO3 and Obsidian's New Vegas. The basic gameplay is the same so it's the same game, same budget, same complexity, etc. Anything that requires more is an example of Obsidian's incompetence, huh!

So yeah, you can imagine – even if it's a different scenario – how it can be frustrating to be a developer doing work when you're the one that's taking it every which way. You’re usually not making money, either. I would run the numbers on games and say, “Look. You guys are up $20 million in profit. It’s my idea. I came to you. I did 100 percent of the work. And guess what? I don’t mind if you make more money than me. That doesn't bother me, because you took the financial risk. However, when you’re up $20 million after paying your marketing and everything, don’t you think we deserve $1 million?” Nope. So yes, it's frustrating.

Sounds like Capitalism. Why do you hate America, Brian Fargo?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bard's Tale (crappy 'remake') wasn't that funny. Couple of laughs (mostly enhanced by Cary Elwes and Tony Jay's voice acting) but it was grossly overwhelmed by the awful gameplay. Would be interesting to see him do a take on the original series, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom