Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ian Frazier of Ultima: Lazarus Fame To Be Lead Designer on Mass Effect 4

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Ian Frazier; Mass Effect: Andromeda

As Gamebanshee reports, Ian Frazier (aka @tibermoon here on the forums) has made an announcement on Facebook that he's now the lead designer on BioWare's Mass Effect 4, or whatever the actual title might turn out to be:

10068.png

You may know Ian Frazier as the man behind Ultima V: Lazarus (we actually did a pretty good interview with him about that game), but also as the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning designer. So he's a pretty divisive man, that Ian Frazier. In any case, this is the peak of his career so far; I hope it works out for the better.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Glad things are going well for the dude, but I have to admit I'm still not looking forward to the next Mass Effect.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh...
Well, as long as he's not going to build up a trilogy of really fun and immersive (yes, I said it, flame me) games, just to ruin it all with one of the most abysmal endings in gaming history, I think this might turn out good.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh, I don't know which horrifies me more as next get "RPGs" - a shooter with unlockable arcade bonuses like Mass Effect, or a single player World of Warcraft like Amalur.
Oh.

Misconnected

Savant
One thing is for certain: Ian won't be posting on the Codex anymore -- EA/Bioware must prohibit it contractually. Right, @tibermoon? ;)

And nothing of value was lost.

- I mean, he was hardly posting up a storm around here :p

As for anti-Dex policies, assuming such things do exist, they're hardly surprising. If I was running a dev studio I wouldn't allow my employees to engage in activities that cause 100+ SAN damage per 60 seconds either.

Oesophagus

Arcane
You could have Warren Spector and MCA leading the design for the next ME, it wouldn't make any difference. This is the one franchise you know EA won't take any risks with. Popamole and waifus, that's what the fanbase is expecting, and that's what they'll get

Fireblade

Erudite
Huh...
Well, as long as he's not going to build up a trilogy of really fun and immersive (yes, I said it, flame me) games, just to ruin it all with one of the most abysmal endings in gaming history, I think this might turn out good.
Strange conclusion to make, given that his last project (which he was lead designer on) was one of the very worst big-budget RPGs in history.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, boring shitfest x 3 with not so bad ending. Now EA will stick only to shitfest, cause' controversial endings are not for biodrones.

Delterius

Arcane
As for anti-Dex policies, assuming such things do exist, they're hardly surprising. If I was running a dev studio I wouldn't allow my employees to engage in activities that cause 100+ SAN damage per 60 seconds either.
Except for the sacrificial lambs otherwise known as BSN's community managers. And the occasional writer determined to torture himself.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Let the guessing game begin, we know it's inevitably going to be shit, but what kind of shit will it be:
- PAY2WIN MMO?
- PAY2WIN browser game?
- MOBA spinoff?
- tablet/phone title (with pay2win)?
- regular popamole sequel?
- prequel/reboot popamole?

So many choices for EA! Still as mentioned above it will be shit so it is indeed a biowarian choice which is meaningless as the consequence is always the same.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Congratulations, Ian. I hope you've read up on your Josh Sawyer. Even ME fans agree that he's better than all those clowns at Bioware, except for maybe Christina Norman, who took all her smarts with her when she left.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've got much respect for Ian because of U5:L (in my top 10 games of the 2000s) but this news makes me go... meh. ME just isn't a game I'll buy based on playing the 1st one and from what I've heard/ read about the other two. Too many hopeful games (read that as real cRPGs) coming out in the next 1-3 years that I have no desire to try another EA/ bioware game...

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane

Heh, if we're talking SAN damage, then look no further than the Bioware Social Network. At least this place is conscious of how fucked up it is and embraces it, the BSN waxes lyrical over the taste of Tali's sweat and urine as if it's the most ordinary thing in the world.

A shame about the news, this is a complete waste of Frazier's talents. This wouldn't be the first time, though; IIRC Tim Cain and George Ziets were working on MMO's for a while prior to coming back to Obsidian. Sadly, this sort of thing is very common.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the first Mass Effect (and I also liked KOTOR, they are quite similar). Hopefully, ME4 will be more like it or at least better than ME3.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When an already shaky franchise goes fully cinematic© in the second game and just becomes utter shit in the third game, do you really think it's even possible for something like that to just, blow over?

St. Toxic

Arcane
I just hope he keeps the game true to its p&p tabletop roots, the way they did with ME2. ME3 played around way too much with its core systems, e.g attack rolls and chargen.

tibermoon

Motive Studios
Developer
One thing is for certain: Ian won't be posting on the Codex anymore -- EA/Bioware must prohibit it contractually. Right, @tibermoon? ;)

Oh, I'm still around. Not much I can post about at this point in the project, but yes, I'm here. :)

I never posted much on the 'dex anyway, though. I mostly just lurk because I enjoy the sweet burning sensation of the SAN damage slowly frying my brain. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom