Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #33: Wasteland 1 Standalone Release, New Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

This month's Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update is mainly a recap of stuff we've already heard about. But there is this great little piece of news:

Wasteland 1 getting a separate release!

As you may know, we had a deal in place with EA to give all our Wasteland 2 backers (including late backers) a copy of Wasteland 1, which was to be integrated and launched from the game’s menu like the original Bard’s Tale trilogy into the new Bard’s Tale. We very happy about that, as we've always wanted to enable people to get back to the original, and it serves as a good refresher for the sequel.

We recently went to talk with EA to try and get it out in a different, separate format, and they accommodated our idea. We've now inked a new deal where we’ll be able to release Wasteland 1 separately. After getting the game in our hands and ensuring it runs on modern machines, we plan to distribute it FOR FREE to all our backers before Wasteland 2’s release, as well as sell it on GOG.com and Steam for anyone else interested in trying out this classic RPG.​

Aww, isn't that nice of EA?

Besides that, there's a new piece of portrait art and three new screenshots. You may have already seen two of the screenshots if you've been following our Wasteland 2 thread or the game's official blog, but the third one is brand new. It's a screenshot of an area in the Rail Nomads camp, which is a location from Wasteland 1.

The update also has a little story about a level-building competition that took place at inXile recently. The winning level was "The Prison", which is actually the Ranger HQ from the original Wasteland and has recently been taken over by the hostile Red Skorpion Militia faction. A demonstration of this level will be shown at the Gamescom convention this month, and later on backers will get to see a video of it as well. I do hope it's not much later!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Still with the hilarious depth of field effect in a top down game, lulz.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty sure they're doing it just to troll you guys at this point

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It looks really weird... like, why is the watchtower right beside them blurred, but the building/fence at the right cor4ner of the screen perfectly crisp?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Check out this retard "shh" in the Kickstarter comments:

Im very very disappointed that as mentioned here:http://www.wasteland2guru.com/news/25243-wasteland-2-gamestar-preview the main story line will only take 20h to complete.
This simply means that there's just too less content you're putting in. You think we'll be satisfied with some extra random-generated bulls***-encounters which mean nothing to the plot?! NO!!!
What happened with the +2Mio for ExtraExtraExtra-content??!

Replay value or not, 20h of gameplay is NOTHING!
We're talking about Role Playing Games! I play my role, let the world do anything it likes to do to me...
Let's just compare to another good old game: Ultima V. Most folks could't finish that below 100h! - which's GOOD!
Again, how about CONTENT, people?! Are your authors & scripters sleeping all the time?

@JackDandy: Jesus fucking christ "shh", shut the hell up..
Yeah, you're able to google some things and oh, you know youtube, too. Nice you're that excited, but I already got some of that super duper-promised prepaided kickstarter games and am concerned. I bet you never played an old real role playing game to it's extents. Perhaps you're that young that you don't even know how dense people could create games that days ago. And - just to remember: Us was promised a remake of an old game.
I already got too much of this *great* screenies from all sides and just woke up. Perhaps you'd want to think a little about that.

@Jim:
You're right. Maybe there's enough content to satisfy anybody. But providing screenshots doesn't help, and a 20h-promise just listens like an _average_ of a Crysis-play-through, which some guy could do in a few hours. That's not what I've payed for, that's not what I wanted, and also not what was promised.
I've already seen a hand full of kickstarter games promising _anything_ and just didn't deliver. I'm really concerned!

He still doesn't give up even after @Jack Dandy showed him a 35 minute speedrun of Ultima V :lol:

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It will be nice to have the first Wasteland before the second one is released.

Because it's not like I already downloaded it from some abandonware site ten years ago.

The Bishop

Cipher
It looks really weird... like, why is the watchtower right beside them blurred, but the building/fence at the right cor4ner of the screen perfectly crisp?
It looks more like an acute case of spherical aberration paired with badly decentered lens than DoF effect to be honest. Maybe they're trying to simulate a kind of image one would take with a camera that (just barely) survived nuclear explosion?

Robert Jarzebina

Maybe the blur in distance is a heat haze :troll:
r678484_4996455.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't like the graphics too much (and it is not just the ridiculous DoF), but the game of course will be awesome! It better be, or there will be some serious butthurt.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Im very very disappointed that as mentioned here:http://www.wasteland2guru.com/news/25243-wasteland-2-gamestar-preview the main story line will only take 20h to complete.
This simply means that there's just too less content you're putting in. You think we'll be satisfied with some extra random-generated bulls***-encounters which mean nothing to the plot?! NO!!!
What happened with the +2Mio for ExtraExtraExtra-content??!

Replay value or not, 20h of gameplay is NOTHING!
We're talking about Role Playing Games! I play my role, let the world do anything it likes to do to me...
Let's just compare to another good old game: Ultima V. Most folks could't finish that below 100h! - which's GOOD!
Again, how about CONTENT, people?! Are your authors & scripters sleeping all the time?

@JackDandy: Jesus fucking christ "shh", shut the hell up..
Yeah, you're able to google some things and oh, you know youtube, too. Nice you're that excited, but I already got some of that super duper-promised prepaided kickstarter games and am concerned. I bet you never played an old real role playing game to it's extents. Perhaps you're that young that you don't even know how dense people could create games that days ago. And - just to remember: Us was promised a remake of an old game.
I already got too much of this *great* screenies from all sides and just woke up. Perhaps you'd want to think a little about that.

@Jim:
You're right. Maybe there's enough content to satisfy anybody. But providing screenshots doesn't help, and a 20h-promise just listens like an _average_ of a Crysis-play-through, which some guy could do in a few hours. That's not what I've payed for, that's not what I wanted, and also not what was promised.
I've already seen a hand full of kickstarter games promising _anything_ and just didn't deliver. I'm really concerned!
Retards... Retards never change... Fallout 1 was the worst RPG ever because you could finish it in less than 20hs ... Those types: "I'm a HARDCORE OLDSCHOOL gamer. I finished Kotor 7 times, true story." are just the elite of the species .

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Yeah, all those new 20+ hour RPGs that don't have meaningless encounters to extend the game's duration.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like the graphics too much (and it is not just the ridiculous DoF), but the game of course will be awesome! It better be, or there will be some serious butthurt.
Well it will probably be no Baldur's Gate 1, but then what is?

I find it hilarious that the above posters care so much to bitch about the use of lighting effects and grass bump mapping.

Apparently AAA studios are right to spend 10 million making sure the grass looks nice because otherwise we get "OMG ridiculous, look at that awful blurry grass."

Every screenshot I've seen, I've thought, wow this looks awesome. I guess I just don't have eagle eyes for blurry bump grass. Maybe because I'm interested in content and when I'm playing I could get two shits about how the grass looks?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find it hilarious that the above posters care so much to bitch about the use of lighting effects and grass bump mapping.

Apparently AAA studios are right to spend 10 million making sure the grass looks nice because otherwise we get "OMG ridiculous, look at that awful blurry grass."

Every screenshot I've seen, I've thought, wow this looks awesome. I guess I just don't have eagle eyes for blurry bump grass. Maybe because I'm interested in content and when I'm playing I could get two shits about how the grass looks?
I have no idea whose alt you are, but I agree 100% with this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You guys realize these screenshots are the same ones that appeared in Gamestar.de and were probably taken at least a month ago, I hope

Servo

Arcane
Gee whiz dis game is purdy. Not sure what people are complaining about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom