Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox catalogues the differences between Europa Universalis III and IV

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Tags: Europa Universalis III; Europa Universalis IV; Paradox Development Studios; Paradox Interactive

With the release of EUIV ever edging closer Paradox has released a 30MB PDF detailing the changes between EUIII and EUIV.

Here is the introduction:

Creating a sequel is a huge challenge; you have to balance keeping the features that made the previous game what it was while at the same time adding enough new things so that existing fans feel the game is value for money. But we wanted to re- conquer Europa Universalis IV with a new vision. So much has happened since we released Europa Universalis III, we felt it was time to take and use what we’ve learned through the games that we’ve developed since then, like Victoria II, Hearts of Iron III and Crusader Kings II. But we also wanted to look at what Europa Universalis III had grown into with all the expansions and what we wanted Europa Universalis IV to be.

One important thing though, is that while we had lots of interesting ideas for Europa Universalis IV, we simply couldn’t just add them all in, as the game would become an unwieldy mass. Europa Universalis has a complexity level that we do not want to dramatically increase and while improving the interface can reduce it a fair bit, it is a very fine balance when it comes to designing a game.

So we took a step back and looked at what Europa Universalis was and what we wanted to do - this allowed us to rewrite entire systems from scratch, and create para- digm shifts. The major gameplay changes we have made include a complete overhaul of the trade system, adding a new monarch power system, and a dynamical historical event system.

We are also putting a lot of focus in Europa Universalis IV on improving the us- ability and reworking the interface to keep the complexity in the game, but make the game less complicated to get into. We are not opposed to complexity, in fact it is part of the charm of Europa Universalis, but that doesn’t mean it should be difficult to play. The nice thing about a sequel you can start from a blank sheet of paper and make sure that things like interfaces are nicely laid out. This is why we are putting effort into interfaces rather than adding more features. That way we can keep the complex- ity and not make things complicated.

And even though Europa Universalis IV is developed upon Europa Universalis III, we decided early on that no feature was off limits. Therefore, to be perfectly honest, almost every feature has had at least some tweaking done to it. Therefore it is almost impossible to detail every single change, but we have tried to nail down the largest changes as well as smaller changes that impact on the gameplay.​

Full PDF download.

Don't forget to also have a look at all the developer diaries.

Cassidy

Arcane
Inferior to the predecessor with the best mods, as I imagined. They did a lot of streamlining, like chopping tech off to only three fields that still are limited by levels rather than being an actual tech tree, among other things. Doing away with minting and arbitrary "badboy" and limiting combat width to make battles a little less about bigger stack winning were nice, and the new trade system may go either way but at least the basic concept is much better than "Centers of Trade". Being able to Fabricate Claims seems like a cheap excuse for popamole map-painting.

What seems nice:

- No more minting/inflation
- OPMs won't be tech leads all the time.
- Removal of arbitrary infamy mechanics
- Combat width for land warfare
- No more ping-pong in land battles
- Reinforcing armies will be expensive
- The Mongol Hordes

What may either be good or suck:
- The new trade system
- Monarch points
- Core gain may be as arbitrary as before, depending on how those "power points" work
- Modding support. There is very little detailed info about it so far.
- The way the Holy Roman Empire is simulated

What sucks:

- No religious minorities
- Anything outside of Europe is as historically innacurate if not more than the predecessor.
- Will have tons of cashgrab DLCs (obviously)
- Dynamic Historical Events seem borderline railroading
- The choice to claim provinces may end a popamole map painting option
- An already simplistic research system made even more simplistic. Even Crusader Kings II has a more complex tech system.
- Popamole cultural assimilation
- Always Online Steamworks DRM
- Steam multiplayer
- Most likely will have balance issues and bugs at release version.

Verdict: No way in hell it is worth Preordering or Day-One Purchase.

Delterius

Arcane
Given their description, the dynamic history events are as deterministic as the other systems allow them to. Simply put determinism, if there's any, stems from the rest of the game, with the events giving them flavour. Not the other way around.

hakuroshi

Augur
Wait its going to be always online? I am going to pirate already but I at least hoped to one day buy it or its sequel when I start to earn jewgold, no fucking way now, I'm not going to support Gaben's fat belly.

It is commonly believed, that it will be possible to play in offline mode, but that's it. I don't remember any definitive dev's comments on the topic though.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Wait its going to be always online?
No. Steam is required to install the game (and patches). Then you can ignore Steam and start the game directly from it's directory.

Choo chooo here comes the Determinism train! Man I can't wait for all these ARBITRARY "historical" EVENTS to come back so we can have arbitrary stuff happening even through my playthrough is already making the world totally different from the original.
"‘Dynamic historical events’ will only trigger if certain in-game conditions are met
so they will happen if the circumstances reflect the actual historical situation that
made things happen the way that they did. There will be no Spanish Bankruptcy just
because it’s a certain date; the conditions must make historical sense."

hakuroshi

Augur
MP is on Steamworks, so I assume you'll need Steam running and online for that, but again devs are being cryptic about it. As for SP, it may behave similar to March of the Eagles, which was their first Steam-exclusive, I think, but again... All previous games could be run without Steam after install for sure. Well, we'll know soon enough. Anyone who preordered should let us steam-haters know :)

JANKOhrp

Novice
It was an interesting read, most of the changes make sense. The old trade system needed overhauling and an higher emphasis needed to be put on the monarchs themselves, both of these problems seem to have been successfully tackled, though of course there is always room for further improvement. 21st century multiplayer will probably be the biggest game-changer, I am sure there are many people who never bothered with online play in their previous games, and have yet to find out just how great it can be.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Someone make a summary. Bullet points. With Paradox's track record I'm not going to waste my time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom