Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Wasteland 2 Preview in GameStar Magazine

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Wasteland 2 has an extensive preview article in the latest issue of the German gaming magazine GameStar. The folks at official fansite Wasteland 2 Guru grabbed a copy and have helpfully provided a summary for the rest of us:

Gameplay:
  • The game will have between 40 and 50 "maps" (they're compared to Fallout 2's 23 locations, so it might as well be referring to the overall number of places to visit).
  • The main storyline will take 20 hours to complete, without side quests or alternative solutions factored in.
  • On the subject of radio signals: the ether will play a prominent role in the game, reacting to the player and providing music.
  • CLASSIC is indeed the attribute system, comprising Charisma, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, and Coordination.
  • 32 skills will be present in the game.
  • Combat skills: Blunt Weapons, Bladed Weapons, Anti-Tank-Weapons, SMG, Shotguns, Energy Weapons, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifle, Handguns
  • Scientific skills: Picklock, Safecrack, Alarm Disarm, Toaster Repair, Computer Tech, Synth Tech, Demolitions, Brute Force
  • General skills: Silent Move, Salvaging, Hard Ass, B.S. Detector, Outdoorsman, Evasion, Leadership, Folklore, Animal Whisperer, Field Medic, Surgeon, Weapon Smithing, Field Stripping, Perception, Barter
  • Like in Wasteland, you can have up to seven characters in your party.
  • Energy weapons deal damage proportional to the amount of metal in the opponent's armor. The more, the higher the damage.
Story and setting:
  • The game begins in a truly Hitchcockesque fashion, with a sudden corpse and mysterious radio signals.
  • A new faction, the Mannerites, are revealed. Led by Mr Manners, they pay great attention to etiquette and proper behavior. They also eat people, following the red meat with a bit of red wine.
  • Red Skorpions are provided a little more background, described as a paramilitary survivalist group, similar to the ones existing in the United States today. They also hate Rangers.
  • The Pistol Packing Priests are confirmed as a priestly group that wants to mop up whatever human trash escaped the scorching blasts of the holy apocalypse. As the name suggest, they favor pistols.
  • The synths return, as the half-man, half-machine Children of the Citadel believing in the union between man and machine as the next step in the evolution of humanity as a whole. Pure humans are beneath their notice.
  • The Gippers will also be present. If you're scratching your head, that's because they're a faction built around worshipping Ronald Reagan as a god. The name is a reference to Reagan's role as Knute Rockne in the 1940 biopic Knute Rockne, All American.
  • Another faction, the Robinsons, are based on American motivational speakers like Dale Carnegie and Tony Robbinsons. Basically, think positive.
  • Finally, the Wrecking Crew. They're your garden variety psychotic raiders, with fun pastimes like raping, pillaging, and making ever more complicated junk armors. Described as perfect practice targets for energy weapons.
Other interesting information:
  • New screenshots are shown, including a peculiar shot of a canyon highway rife with tribal markings and other locations in the wilderness.
  • Finally, the target sales are 200,000 - 300,000 copies, which will allow inXile to continue work on their games throughout the year.

Boy, I sure wish I could get my hands on those screenshots!

poetic codex

Augur
Meine deutsch ist nicht so gut deshalb kann ich nicht die article verstehen.

In the article, did they explain why Brute Force is considered a scientific skill?

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
"Finally, the target sales are 200,000 - 300,000 copies, which will allow inXile to continue work on their games throughout the year. "

I think it should be "throughout the years".

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
In the article, did they explain why Brute Force is considered a scientific skill?

Because it is? Any machine will start to work again if you hit it hard enough. Pure science!
The Fonz was the greatest scientist of our time.
Also, surgeons aren't real scientists. They hardly punch anything!

edit: this was a waste of my 666th post :(

Lancehead

Liturgist
If I remember correctly breaking open doors/things was a strength check in the gameplay demo video. Looks like they've turned that into a skill, Brute Force, which is a bit disappointing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I remember correctly breaking open doors/things was a strength check in the gameplay demo video. Looks like they've turned that into a skill, Brute Force, which is a bit disappointing.

It was a skill then too. We've known about that for a long time: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/361730

In order to make something happen in the world, you will need to use the proper skill. Wasteland 1 allowed players to use strength and perception. We wanted to keep this functionality so we created skills for these; Brute Force and Examine. In future updates, we will go into more detail on many of these skills.

Disgruntled

Savant
Glad they arent selling this game on the screenshots.. might look good once its in front of me but its a bit muddy atm.
Looking forward to release otherwise. Sounds solid.

CWagner

Augur
So if I buy that piece of crap magazine and scan/take pictures of the screenshots, would you be legally allowed to use them? :D

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
In order to make something happen in the world, you will need to use the proper skill. Wasteland 1 allowed players to use strength and perception. We wanted to keep this functionality so we created skills for these; Brute Force and Examine. In future updates, we will go into more detail on many of these skills.

What's next, 'tying shoelaces' as a skill? If you don't level it you will trip?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

What's next, 'tying shoelaces' as a skill? If you don't level it you will trip?

Too much to handle for ya?

:troll:

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The Gippers will also be present. If you're scratching your head, that's because they're a faction built around worshipping Ronald Reagan as a god. The name is a reference to Reagan's role as Knute Rockne in the 1940 biopic Knute Rockne, All American.

A medium in which right-wing radicals are depicted as a cult of fanatically-devoted idolaters and hero-worshippers. Don't think I've ever seen that done before.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Do they wear white gloves too?
lknoetd5.05w.jpg

Lancehead

Liturgist

It was a skill then too. We've known about that for a long time: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/361730

Seems I remembered incorrectly, then. Still, would've preferred attribute(s) check.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Seems I remembered incorrectly, then. Still, would've preferred attribute(s) check.

For all we know, it is an attribute check. These skills might not be upgradable on level-up but rather just numerical reflections of the Strength and Perception stats. Ie, the separation is purely technical.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Hmmm, there seems to be some dissonance in their naming conventions - from field medic & surgeon into hard ass and brute force.

It almost sounds as if they've rammed perks into skills.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So if I buy that piece of crap magazine and scan/take pictures of the screenshots, would you be legally allowed to use them? :D

I think it's never legal to scan articles and publish them on the internet, unless the copyright owner explicitly says it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom