Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: Skills and Blessings

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

Today's Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog update is all about the game's skill and "blessing" systems. In MMX, skills are purely combat-related, while blessings are discrete non-combat abilities, similar to the "skills" from World of Xeen. I quote:

SKILLS

As mentioned in this post about trainers and character development, each of the skills in MMX has four tiers: Novice, Expert, Master and Grandmaster. Each tier grants special features, and these features are cumulative.

For example, Warfare Novices start out with extra maximum Mana points that rise with each new skill level. Also they start with a Warfare ability. Two more Warfare abilities are added with each new tier the character unlocks.

Some more examples:
  • The Endurance skill increases the maximum Health of a character by some points per level while adding an extra percentage for every skill rank.
  • Arcane Discipline Novices have increased resistance to all Magic Schools that increases further with each skill level. Experts have their incoming crit magic damage reduced by a certain percentage, and it will be further reduced when the character unlocks the Master tier. Grandmasters of Arcane Discipline restore a certain amount of their mana points whenever they resist a magic spell.
  • Sword Novices start out with an increased damage and attack value. With each new skill level, these values increase by a certain number. When unlocking the Expert tier, the character also gains an increased critical hit chance. Unlocking the Master tier adds an additional strike with the main hand against the target monster whenever the character crits successfully for the first time (if the attack has been made with a sword). Grandmaster tier again increases the damage done with swords – but by a higher percentage for each skill level than the Novice tier does.
BLESSINGS

Blessings are permanent, positive, non-combat effects that apply to the whole party. They come as rewards for certain actions, and their gameplay impact is general, which means they don't depend on an action of a single character. There is one blessing for each of the six dragon gods of Ashan.

Spot Secrets and Swimming for example occur in the game as Blessings. Each blessing also grants general benefits to all party members: additional resistance to the School of Magic that corresponds with the respective Blessing, and access to certain places on the map.

So why do we have blessings at all? Because we wanted to differentiate between Skills (where you can spend points to improve effect/efficiency) and what we now call Blessings, which are either on or off. Or to say it with Julien’s words: “If it’s a skill you can spend points in it, if it’s a blessing you get it once and for all.”

Not all non-combat skills that you might know from former M&M episodes have been transformed to Blessings though. Your characters can also learn things from spells (like for example Identify), and also there are hirelings that grant your party members certain abilities (for example the Negotiator). Some features that were skills in former M&M episodes are considered to be standard functions of a game today. Therefore, we decided to do without the Direction Sense and the Cartography skill, since automapping and the indication of direction on the mini-map have made them obsolete.

Some abilities come in different shapes. Spot Traps for example does exist as Spell, as Hireling and as Blessing.​

Read the full update for relevant screenshots and the full list of skills. I wish all games had such content-rich updates.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blessing sounds like a cool new addition, Too bad there are only 6 of them.

For example, Warfare Novices start out with extra maximum Mana points that rise with each new skill level. Also they start with a Warfare ability. Two more Warfare abilities are added with each new tier the character unlocks.​

And please tell me the warfare is a typo - should obviously be mysticism
Edit: Actually that example sentence does not make sense to me...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For example, Warfare Novices start out with extra maximum Mana points that rise with each new skill level. Also they start with a Warfare ability. Two more Warfare abilities are added with each new tier the character unlocks.​

It depends on whether mana is limited to spells or if it's also used for physical attacks. If it's the latter it would make sense to have a generic warrior ability increase it. Although in a game with strict class limitations they could have named it something else when used by warrior types.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah it should be mysticism, typo I guess.

Edit: Also I like that they add dual wieling as a whole skill instead of pasting it to weapon skills.

Hormalakh

Magister
Some features that were skills in former M&M episodes are considered to be standard functions of a game today. Therefore, we decided to do without the Direction Sense and the Cartography skill, since automapping and the indication of direction on the mini-map have made them obsolete.

Is...is that...no...

How much longer before we hear "quest compass?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some features that were skills in former M&M episodes are considered to be standard functions of a game today. Therefore, we decided to do without the Direction Sense and the Cartography skill, since automapping and the indication of direction on the mini-map have made them obsolete.

Is...is that...no...

How much longer before we hear "quest compass?"

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-update-q-a-open-dev-chat.84631/#post-2753003

<mindx2> @LE-Stephan, no more hints sounds good but what about the "hand-holding" of modern cRPGs such as quest compasses, linear fetch quests, etc.?
<@Marzhin93> Marcus will be able to confirm this, but I think we won't have any sort of quest compass
<@Marzhin93> however there will be some icons on the minimap showing dungeon entrances, etc. But you only see them when you're nearby.
<@LE-Marcus> Actually we were not planning to have some sort of quest compass for long range but to have different symbols on the minimap when you are in the vicinity of the quest location.
<@LE-Stephan> mindx2: About handholding: I actually think it´s not possible to go into full "hand-holding mode" in an M&M game. We have an open world approach - it´s up to the palyer to head out and explore. So if he ends up going straight to the big monsters as a low level he will have a hard time for sure. On the contrary I think what we want to provide is so
<@LE-Stephan> me "guidance" at the beginning of the game with the goal to make all players - newbies and veterans alike - aware of their options ingame.

Hormalakh

Magister
:BRO: thanks infinitron. close one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom