Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 and Unofficial Patch 1.02.28 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 2; Fallout 2 Restoration Project; killap

Almost three years after the last release and after a lengthy beta testing period, Fallout 2 modding extraordinaire killap has released the final versions of his famous mod and its accompanying bugfix-only patch. No Mutants Allowed reports:

This is it, the big one. After 3 years of intense work, killap the Bear Dude has released the final version of the Restoration Project, bringing Fallout 2 closer to the original vision by reimplementing scores of features that did not make the cut all the way back in 1998. However, don't take it from us, listen to the Bear Dude himself:​

Now come 2013, RP 2.2 is being released. I believe that this version is what I had always envisioned the Restoration Project would become. If you were put off by older RP releases, please give it a try again. I think you'll be pleased. If you've been waiting 6 years to play the RP, well, now is your chance. And if you've already played it dozens of times before, rest assured there is new content for you to experience.​

Is this the end of Bear Dude's Fallout modding adventure? To me it is, but I've already said this before and I'll admit that anytime I see a bug reported for something I've worked on, I get the urge to squash it. So expect at least one more minor update down the road, especially since at the very least a Russian translation is in the works. But do know, that to me, I'm done.​

Was all this worth the many, many thousands of hours I put in over the years to fix vanilla bugs and add new content? I think so. I had fun doing it and really, I just wanted others to get even more enjoyment out of a game they loved. I also like to think that in some way I inspired others to do modding of their own and to realize that just because a game is old it doesn't mean it has to be abandoned.​

We salute you, killap. You are credit to Motherland!​

You can get both mods over at killap's website. Now, let's bitch about Kaga some more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since this presumably comes with the latest versions of Sfall and the Hi-Res patch, you no longer need to install those separately.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Killap is awesome. His work on Fallout 2 is incredible and has helped to make it a truly great game. I don't care about the restoration project but playing Fallout 2 without his unofficial Fallout patch should be considered a crime.

Together with Drog (for his work on Arcanum) he is in my personal hall of fame of modders that I will always be thankful to.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The new content always seemed like bad DLC but you have to salute is work on the patch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's also an optional new Lenny model that can't run.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The new content always seemed like bad DLC but you have to salute is work on the patch.
Well a lot of it is based on the original design docs or content in the game files that was disabled or incomplete. So a lot of it is still that really was intended to be in the game as-is. Sometimes content is cut for a reason other than time though... sometimes it's just not that good.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Do I have to play through this new version to complain about Kaga, or has it been massively improved/deleted since the "MWAHAHAHAHA I ARE KAGA"-days?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
No idea, only played with the RP once when it came out, hated kaga, hated the fetch quests from the tribal village. Mum's orphanage quest was cool I guess? Only play with UP now, avoid RP like the plague.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
killap said:
(...) 1.0 of the RP packed a lot of goodness, but it lacked polish and looking back now, to be honest, elements of it were indeed a bit amateur. Some of the more hard core Fallout fans were put off by this and in the end I'm sure there are those who haven't touched it since. (...)
Now come 2013, RP 2.2 is being released. I believe that this version is what I had always envisioned the Restoration Project would become. If you were put off by older RP releases, please give it a try again. I think you'll be pleased. If you've been waiting 6 years to play the RP, well, now is your chance. And if you've already played it dozens of times before, rest assured there is new content for you to experience. (...)
I think you should try installing 2.2 and make your judgement then. Personally I like F1 much better than F2 but killap's mod makes it much more enjoyable than vanilla version.

Wizfall

Cipher
Don't know about the earlier version of RP but the previous one was good quality.
Especially EPA.
Now i would not replay F2 without the RP.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm the guy who constantly postponed a new F2 playthrough to wait for the last 'best' version of the fanpatch. Did the same with Bloodlines. Fucking hell, what's wrong with me?

Koschey

Arcane
Finally! :dance:

I don't know about the earlier versions, I first tried the RP with v2.1.2b days after its release, but that version definitely improved upon my experience. Can't wait to try the new one out; but then there's also Shadowrun Returns and I won't be able to play either before monday. Choices, choices...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom