Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Matrix reveal their new lineup at Historicon

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Historicon; Matrix Games; Slitherine

Last week Matrix/Slitherine was part of the grand grognard Historicon conference. We send Absalom there to delve into the whole neckbeard side of things and are eagerly awaiting his findings. Meanwhile however Matrix has posted lists of their upcoming games on their own forums. Here and here. Lots of Ipad games and sequels together with quite some surprises. Apparantly Lock and Load: Heroes of Stalingrad is not vaporware and is getting a release. Also nice to see that the indie fantasy wargame Drums of War which looked neat but had atrocious engrish is now part of the Matrix stable. That should at the very least mean a better translation. Anyway, check it out for yourself.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Amidst countless iPad ports, Sovereignty is the only game that looks interesting

EDIT: sry, didn't see part 2

Absalom

Pandora looks good mostly because it is a straight clone of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Absalom

Only issue I have with it so far is that there doesn't seem to be a social engineering table or equivalent which is :decline:. Could have just been the case in the alph/beta/whatever I saw LP'd on youtube though.

I didn't notice that, though it's omission is troubling. They're also using the MoO2 style of citizen work allocation so not a straight clone.

Absalom

TBH MOO2 style allocation is ok in my book.
Funny preview tidbit: One of the factions benefits is the ability to tame the native wildlife and use it against the other factions, and to reduce pollution and so on. Tell me if that doesn't sound familiar. At that point I almost stopped taking notes and just left "SMAC clone"

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I shall not confront Planet as an enemy, but shall accept its mysteries as gifts to be cherished. Nor shall I crudely seek to peel the layers away like the skin from an onion. Instead I shall gather them together as the tree gathers the breeze. The wind shall blow and I shall bend. The sky shall open and I shall drink my fill.

Burning Bridges

Absalom Have you seen Civil War II in action?

The screenshot looked a bit odd, so I got clarification

According to PhilThib
This screenshot is totally inaccurate...it's a mockup design used long long ago...

So the game will neither recycle the terrain graphics from PoN, nor use the old portraits.

I ask myself when will they finally show real screenshots from the new game?

Burning Bridges

Absalom Second question concenring Brother Against Brother. Could you clarify if they upgraded the engine to normal standards? With Crown of Glory it wasn't even possible to change screen resolution, and people were forced to play the game in 1024x768.

Burning Bridges

@Absalom Concerning Sovereignty. This is running in the Panzer Corps engine, right? Could you take a glimpse at the gameplay, how promising did it look?

Absalom

@Absalom Concerning Sovereignty. This is running in the Panzer Corps engine, right? Could you take a glimpse at the gameplay, how promising did it look?
I actually got back from the conference Sunday but I will try to answer your questions.

Alas, other than a few screenshots, they didn't present anything with Sovereignty. If it wasn't at the press conference I'm guessing it's release date is far in advance.

As for your other questions; for Brother Against Brother they almost certainly upgraded the engine but I will shoot an email to the producer I meet and am friendly terms with and ask for confirmation.

I saw a Civil War II video and but they only used the mock ups that you've seen previously.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I like the fact that they focus on three "eras" of space travel, even if it means the game will be released in parts (at least they're not pulling a blizzard and demanding money for the remaining 2/3 of the game). Looks pretty good.

Burning Bridges

I like the fact that they focus on three "eras" of space travel, even if it means the game will be released in parts (at least they're not pulling a blizzard and demanding money for the remaining 2/3 of the game). Looks pretty good.

I'm only interested in Mercury Gemini Apollo. The fictional stuff is probably meh, but who knows. A real fully fleshed out soviet campaign would be great too.

Absalom

I'm only interested in Mercury Gemini Apollo. The fictional stuff is probably meh, but who knows. A real fully fleshed out soviet campaign would be great too.

I'm not sure the expansions will be free, however. Mr Mcneil has stated that the planned dev time for each era will be around one year, and I don't see Matrix giving that up for free.

The 2nd era will focus on the ISS and aiding commercial space travel so it's somewhat realistic.

Also, for the manned mars mission, there's an option to use a spacecraft designed by Buzz Aldrin. The Buzz Cycler basically uses successive gravitational assists to propel it to Mars. Can't vouch for how realistic it is, and Matrix didn't know the specifics of it, but I assume Mr Aldrin knows what he's doing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom