Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 Interview and South Park Preview at Video Game Sophistry

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Video Game Sophistry guys have been busy lately. In this week's episode of their radio show, they interviewed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay producer Marek Ziemak. The actual interview starts at 22:11 of the show and promises "new information and new insights!". You can also just listen to it in this YouTube video:

The VGS guys also had a chance to preview Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth at E3. They made a video about it, although it seems to contain more footage from the show than the actual game:

Their verdict? The mechanics are solid, but the game doesn't live up to the show's sense of humor. I'm not sure about the part where they say Jade Empire was created by Obsidian, though. :M

Duraframe300

Arcane
Their verdict? The mechanics are solid, but the game doesn't live up to the show's sense of humor. I'm not sure about the part where they say Jade Empire was created by Obsidian, though. :M

I already told him personally on the Obsidian forums, but that review sounds jaded as hell.

Unfortunately, at least from the short amount of time I spent with the game, this isn’t the case with The Stick of Truth. Also, considering the lofty heights this titles hopes to reach, my initial observations indicate that it’s certainly fallen short.

Yeah, well I only saw it a short time, but due to my initial observation it CERTAINLY falls short.

That, with his comments about how much he loves the show and him counting how many times someone said *fuck you bitch* (HE COUNTED) makes me think he went in there with a specific mindset of how he wants things to be.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Too much farting and monotonous cursing in South Park? Who would've guessed?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well if the humor doesn't reach the heights (lows?) of the show, we can blame the original SP creators for that. They wrote the script afterall.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That South Park video was weird. Something tells me that Stick of Truth is meant to be a satire/deconstruction of the TV show, and this person just didn't get it. Of course, if the writing in the game stinks, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Too many cooks in the kitchen, ect, ect...

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i'm not sure, the humor of south park nowadays doesn't reach the heights of the series anyway.

I'd argue it's still pretty solid for 15 years in. That Halloween episode last year was pretty damn good. South Park's probably past its prime, but when I compare it to other sitcoms, it still shines.

Kz3r0

Arcane
For once I am glad that an Obsidian game is bashed by the retards.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That South Park video was weird. Something tells me that Stick of Truth is meant to be a satire/deconstruction of the TV show, and this person just didn't get it. Of course, if the writing in the game stinks, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Too many cooks in the kitchen, ect, ect...
Hasn't South Park been fully in self-irony mode for years now?

Severian Silk

I'm sorry Obsidian's name is going to be associated with this failure. They just can't seem to catch a break.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
"I'm a fan of this satirical tv show that's been full of the same fart and poop jokes from the beginning. I'm also a fan of this game developer that has always built flawed but well thought out RPG. But I hate that their collaboration is a flawed but well thought satirical RPG that's filled with the same fart and poop jokes as the tv show. Please, take me seriously."

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like someone didn't get their Mtn Dew and Doritos and is grumpy.

Severian Silk

I'm sorry Obsidian's name is going to be associated with this failure. They just can't seem to catch a break.

Wait for the sales figures...

I didn't mean to sound so edgy. I'm just sad Obsidian's had so many near-misses and could-have-beens. And if the game is really not funny (or not as funny as the show), even hardcore SP fans might just decide to skip it no matter how well the game was designed.

I'm still confused about the gameplay. That video didn't show much other than cutscenes and show clips. People say it's like Paper Mario, but what does that mean? I've never played it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems like 'getting too big' is a common problem these days. *cough* Derple Fine *cough*

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of South Park, said games like The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, EarthBound, Paper Mario and The Legend of Zelda were key influencers in their decision to make South Park: The Stick of Truth. Drawing inspiration from those games, however, led to ambition that got the best of them.

One of these things is not like the others.

"I really loved playing Skyrim, as many people did," Parker said during a Comic-Con panel today. After getting lost in the expansive world and huge cast of characters of Bethesda's game, "I was like 'Let's do this. This is easy.'"

lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom