Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: The Freemage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

The latest Might & Magic X Legacy open development blog update sheds further detail on the game's Freemage class. Note that the update uses the female human Freemage from the game's default party as an example, but male and non-human freemages will be possible as well.

THE FREEMAGE

“The Freemage is the master of air magic but has the greatest flexibility to switch to another school. Her life time can be pretty short if she gets in the focus of attacks. Magical foci are her hobby.”

The Freemage’s business is magic of any kind. She has no clue about weapons, but she knows how to cast a mighty fireball or a devastating thunderstorm. In fact, she can become quite excellent with Fire and Air. But basically she is familiar with all schools of magic. The Freemage uses artifacts in order to channel the magic forces and enhance her magic dimensions.​

She shouldn’t get involved too much in melee fights; else her end might come soon.​

RACE SPECIALTY

As you may have noticed in the above picture, the race specialty of the Humans has changed since our first blog posting about the character classes and races. Besides their Light Resistance specialty, the Humans now have more starting skills!​

THE ARCHMAGE: THE ADVANCED CLASS OF THE FREEMAGE

As already written in our previous Part 1: Character classes and races posting, the advanced classes give you access to the Grand Master tiers and improve the character with additional attribute points and additional resistances.​

In addition each character gets a special ability depending on its class. The Archmage receives the spell “Time Stop”:​

The Freemage freezes time outside a sphere created around the party for some turns or until the party exits the sphere. The enemies outside can't be attacked, nor attack or move.

Who wants to make use of dark magic during combat, may not want to miss the Freemage in his/her group, as the Freemage is the only one, who is able to learn Dark Magic (and by the way also the only one that can learn ALL schools of magic).​

The full update contains further details on the Freemage's skill advancement possibilities. It also has a few high resolution screenshots of the game's UI, which is a popular topic here nowadays, so be sure to check it out.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Freemage is an awesome word.

There, I've done it...

I finally gave MMX a compliment!

:bro:

Mortmal

Arcane
I notice even the expressions are dumbed down, no drunk or diseased expressions. Dumbing down of an already very simplistic game, that bodes well.

Xenich

Cipher
The social skills are missing, no repair , merchant, identify item etc?

https://static14.cdn.ubi.com/udev/prod/img/news/freemagetable.jpg

They recently mentioned having to cut some skills. My guess is they didn't find a place in the game for non-combat type stuff.

That's okay. Dungeon crawling purity. :obviously:

Yeah, they don't need any of that pussy crap in this game. I mean, its like "BOOM" and "BANG", "POW", "WOOSH!", now... that is what a game is, not those pansy skills! /sarc

Bulba

Learned
It looks like they have removed light armor as well, guess it will be shit after all.

Hormalakh

Magister
Can this game be any more mass-marketed? It's kind of disgusting, actually. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play the oldies.

It's quite obvious how they keep trying to pander to the crowd of older gamers that have nostalgia for the good ol' days, except they're really obvious about it. It's like a kickstarter without the good parts (no marketers allowed, etc).

Zeriel

Arcane
Being pandered to is bad, now? I thought the Codex's main complaint was that niche gamers are ignored.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I'm buying this on principle alone. Any good time playing is bonus. Hopefully I'll have time to play.

Zeriel

Arcane
What are you talking about Infinitron? Clearly anything that isn't represented in pre-release concept art portrait icons won't be in the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its true maybe not drawn and maybe all the skills arent all implemented either but not being in the elite few allowed in the holy private forums i cant tell. Better to have very low expectations , i expect something as much incline as all those fantastic ios and android rpgs, that way i can only have a good surprise.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am going to miss the alchemy skill :(
Do you think we can still create/mix potions but just dont need a skill for it?

Hormalakh

Magister
Being pandered to is bad, now? I thought the Codex's main complaint was that niche gamers are ignored.

It's not really pandering though. It's basically trying to mass-market a dumbed down game (which it will be) to a wider audience and "being more inclusive." They're making a watered-down Might and Magic sequel that seems only to pander, but in reality won't play like you or I think it would, because at the end of the day they've also got to bring in the wider audience.

You can't make a game to please everyone and that's what this game production is trying to do. You either make a game that is complex and difficult and takes time to master, or you make a toy that adults can play in between work and dinner without much investment. You can't do both.

At least the AAA games of the past didn't try and sell you something without you knowing what it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom