Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Close Combat gets both a video and written restrospective in this Tacticular Cancer Special

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: A Bridge Too Far; Atomic Games; Close Combat; Microsoft; The Russian Front

Tacticular Cancer is proud to present our very first combined retrospection article and accompanying video retrospective. Sser braved the ardeous trip to his attic and gaming history to bring us his thoughts on the Close Combat series and its arguably best installment; A Bridge Too Far.

Read the full accompanying article: Close Combat gets both a video and written restrospective in this Tacticular Cancer Special

sser

Arcane
Developer
Glad you guys enjoyed it.

As for the video... it was the first I've ever made -- a monster stitched together courtesy of Windows Movie Maker, FRAPs and Bandicam trial software, and Audacity audio. Getting the Russian Front footage was a pain in the neck as none of the recording software would do it. I eventually used Bandicam's minimized window and just applied it to the background of my desktop, then had it shoot footage with the game playing over it with their respective resolutions matched up. It was actually a good thing because it led me to Bandicam in the first place; their free software lets you shoot 10mins of footage, whereas FRAPs is 30-seconds. I've never spoken into a mic before either, so that was really interesting to me. I've also never really heard myself talk before, so I was kinda like a dog staring at mirror for much of the process. There's a ton I would change, but overall it was a good and fun learning experience. I've been hit with a copyright notice due to the song use, but I don't think they'll really care that much at the moment. I think it falls within fair use, but I'm not a multi-billion dollar conglomerate allied with another multi-billion dollar company both of which operate heavily through a multi-billion dollar search engine. Maybe TCancer's crack team of lawyers will help me out of it comes to blows.

Marsal

Arcane
That was really, really good! And I'm not just saying that because you're a TCancer/Codex member. There were some technical issues, but it all came together nicely. Very TUN/Errant Signal, only not as pretentious or preachy.

Now go make more videos! How about Warhammer games (both fantasy and 40k)?

e76Cp.jpg

Blasterhead

Educated
Classy effort, thank you! Will definitely watch more if you ever intend to make more.

I've never been a huge fan of the rts genre and, as someone who isn't a military history buff, military-themed sims have always intimidated me. As a consequence, I'm not very surprised that this game has slipped under my radar. Watching the video though it looks like this might be an exception for me. Particularly enticed by the notion that units are capable of disobeying orders and otherwise acting realistically. Will try it out first chance I get.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Haha, great video. Keep articulation in mind a bit in the future, at least as a non-native English speaker it could be hard to make out what you were saying at some points. Otherwise, ace.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Classy effort, thank you! Will definitely watch more if you ever intend to make more.

I've never been a huge fan of the rts genre and, as someone who isn't a military history buff, military-themed sims have always intimidated me. As a consequence, I'm not very surprised that this game has slipped under my radar. Watching the video though it looks like this might be an exception for me. Particularly enticed by the notion that units are capable of disobeying orders and otherwise acting realistically. Will try it out first chance I get.

It's not a typical RTS. You can set it to run really slow, making it more of a strategic game.

I also second the notion that CC2 A Bridge too Far is the best in the series. Tons of athmosphere and a really good campaign.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Haha, great video. Keep articulation in mind a bit in the future, at least as a non-native English speaker it could be hard to make out what you were saying at some points. Otherwise, ace.

Yeah, I know I'm mumbling a lot in there. My tongue is actually cut down the middle so some articulations are difficult for me to do. Speaking in person, I'm usually alright, but talking to a microphone in an empty room was an unusual experience.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A job well done. Also damn you for making me remember good'ol Close Combats... Well at least I can play Wargame nowadays to satisfy my RTS needs.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Borrowing heavily from the wargame genre(...)
It's not a typical RTS.
CC is not an RTS that borrowed some elements from the wargame genre. It's a tactical wargame with real-time gameplay. Adding real-time gameplay to a tactical strategy game doesn't automatically turn it into an RTS. CM introduced real-time gameplay (in addition to the WeGo), but it doesn't mean that we should treat it as some kind of RTS game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borrowing heavily from the wargame genre(...)
It's not a typical RTS.
CC is not an RTS that borrowed some elements from the wargame genre. It's a tactical wargame with real-time gameplay. Adding real-time gameplay to a tactical strategy game doesn't automatically turn it into an RTS. CM introduced real-time gameplay (in addition to the WeGo), but it doesn't mean that we should treat it as some kind of RTS game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_tactics

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

bro, the whole concept of "RTS" is a misnomer. The games in this genre are in fact real time tactic games. Second they allow neither much tactics nor strategy, because they are simply too fast. For me that genre is more characterized by the typical green health bars, mostly unrealistic combat and chaotic gameplay, and I'd be more content if they were called "bustling units" games, for that's what they are. But since they have already hijacked the term RTS, and a lot of people have a preference this kind of game, there's nothing that can be done except live with the fact.

I think we can agree that CC is not a RTS by that definition? But imo "tactical wargame with real-time gameplay" is also not a much better term, because that would also describe e.g. Command Ops, Men of War, or Scourge of War Gettysburg, etc and those are all completely different games. CC is a beer and pretzels, real time war game, and a lot more. Most of all, it's CC. I don't think it fits into any clearly defined genre.

And lastly while I never liked RTS games, and am a turn based gamer by heart, I never had a problem with real time in CC, mostly because of the slow motion factor and the relatively high realism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom