Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Conquistador Receives Free Content Update

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Logic Artists

Logic Artists' strategy RPG Expeditions: Conquistador, which we reviewed on its release, has received a free content patch intended to provide a bunch of gameplay, graphics, and usability improvements. I'll quote the ones related to actual game content:

But we promised actual content, didn’t we? Well, you’ll be excited to hear that we’ve added 14 new events: three new Guard Failure events (each of which involves a new battle), two Tinkering events, one new Patrol event (with another new battle!), one new Treatment event, two new Travel events, and five new personal camping events for certain followers that didn’t have any.

There’s a bunch of other little tweaks and additions that you can find in the full changelog, but the last important thing to mention is that Mexico is now substantially harder. If you want the true Conquistador experience, you’ll still have to dial the difficulty up to Aguirre, but all difficulty settings now have much improved balance in Mexico:
  • You’ll routinely come up against enemy groups that match your troops in rank and equipment.
  • Certain fights are now on a turn timer.
  • Food from hunting no longer scales with your party size (such that the more followers you have, the harder it gets to feed them all).
  • There’s less meat and herbs in Mexico in general.
  • All critical hits break your equipment.
  • All enemies now get random passive abilities corresponding to their rank.
  • Construction costs for items have been massively increased.
  • There is now a limit to how many items of each type you can bring into a battle based on your Tactics skill.
The update is already available on Steam and awaiting approval on Desura. GOG and GamersGate will follow in a few days, they need time to build their own update installers. We hope you’ll enjoy all this new stuff and convenient improvements, and we hope you’ll now find Mexico is the challenge that it was always meant to be. Don’t be afraid to turn up the difficulty if you find yourself steamrolling through! And please do swing by our forums (yes you have to register to comment) and let us know what you think of the update, and above all – have fun.​

The full announcement and the changelog are available here.

Disgruntled

Savant
I like the sound of that. Mexico was fairly easy even on insane, this should make it a real slog of survival.

A bit miffed that im at a delay cause i bought the drm free gog version. What happened to on-site patch downloads?
Suppose i wont be up for a full replay for a while so i can wait.

Bulba

Learned
  • You’ll routinely come up against enemy groups that match your troops in rank and equipment.

So what's the point of buying/not selling all/most of your equipment now? It's so sad to see yet another game go down the drain due to level scaling

himmy

Arcane

So what's the point of buying/not selling all/most of your equipment now? It's so sad to see yet another game go down the drain due to level scaling

Well, there is also every other encounter except for these ones to keep in mind so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While I like the new content, the difficulty changes sound a bit artificial, and still don't address the same-y feel of the battles...

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer

Hahah you misunderstand - they don't match your rank and equipment as in literally check what ranks and equipment you have and then scale up - they match (as in, are balanced to be challenging against) what we expect that you should have at that point. The problem was sergeants and lieutenants were kind of a rarity in the original version, and natives usually had kinda poor equipment. We've just increased everything. It's not dynamic.

Al3xand3r

Novice
Didn't they use to call these "patches"? :cool:
You must have only read the bullet points.
But we promised actual content, didn’t we? Well, you’ll be excited to hear that we’ve added 14 new events: three new Guard Failure events (each of which involves a new battle), two Tinkering events, one new Patrol event (with another new battle!), one new Treatment event, two new Travel events, and five new personal camping events for certain followers that didn’t have any.

EG

Nullified
I suppose I should have waited a while before playing the game, then.

MCA
I wish GOG gave us the option of installing the games through their installer wrapper or just getting the original game files or disc images. That's one thing that pisses me off about GOG. With some games, it feels like I agree to get cheap game rips in return of no DRM.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FYI this is now 50% off for the next 10 or so days during the Steam Summer Sale.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't get it, don't GoG updated their installer so people don't have to install dumb 'patches' if they happened to download after the patch came out, or is it just for the previous versions?

Petrell

Educated
I don't get it, don't GoG updated their installer so people don't have to install dumb 'patches' if they happened to download after the patch came out, or is it just for the previous versions?

It varies. Sometimes they provide patch without updating the installer, sometimes they just update the installer and sometimes they give patch and updated installer. Obviously patch is better than having to download several gigabyte installer (and having to reinstall the game) especially for people who have download limits.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't really think it's better. Minimize future mental hassle could be my motto.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Now up for a community vote that would make it FIVE DORRAH on Steam. It won't win but hopefully it'll be flash or daily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom