Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Retrospective: Roguey fights for social justice in Josh Sawyer's Icewind Dale II

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Icewind Dale 2

The year was 2002. Under the inept management of the notorious Herve Caen, Interplay was dying. The company needed money fast, and so it was decided to bring back the Infinity Engine for one last hurrah. Icewind Dale II was a project that should never have been. A slam dunk of a slam dunk. A game that nobody had asked for. It would also be Josh Sawyer's first stint as a Lead Designer.

Did Josh do a decent job? Is Icewind Dale II the black sheep of the Infinity Engine games, or is it an underrated classic? Is Josh Sawyer a true progressive, or merely a fauxgressive white boy with a rape fixation? One Codexer has decided to find the answers to those questions.

Strap yourselves in, because it's time for...

9926.png

Read the full article: RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Roguey fights for social justice in Josh Sawyer's Icewind Dale II

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That was quick. :cool:

I see you decided to leave the images on imgur instead of hosting them on the Codex. Hope they don't delete 'em. Oh well, no compression this time. :bounce:

Soundtrack is The Stooges' Raw Power by the way.

Edit: Urgh, I see that in my revision I accidentally deleted the source for The Black Hound rape. It's the same link as the the one where I talk about how he messed up the cinematic and narration between chapters 1 and 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I see you decided to leave the images on imgur instead of hosting them on the Codex.

Yeah, because they were well-sized this time, but I may copy them over just in case, now that you mention it.

Overboard

Arcane
Rape. Rape never changes.

Anyway, does this mean Roguey has a secret desire to be raped by Josh?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I heard story for the Ice wind Dale II was written over one weekend. Tight deadline.
I sourced this in the review, it wasn't exactly a weekend but close.
That was on a Wednesday afternoon. Feargus asked me to work with Steve Bokkes to create a story and area overview by Thursday afternoon. Steve and I talked about it for the rest of the day. I went home that night and worked on the overviews until the next day. I came in and turned the docs in, and after the Friday division meeting, the project was in development.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Edit: Urgh, I see that in my revision I accidentally deleted the source for The Black Hound rape. It's the same link as the the one where I talk about how he messed up the cinematic and narration between chapters 1 and 2.

PM me a fixed version of that paragraph.

karfhud

Augur
Dunno. Without getting too much into details, Icewind Dale II felt like a natural successor to the first game - I liked the revamped art style, new UI, I even fell for the music (although you're very much on point when you write that IWD I's OST is better). This way or another, both this piece and the previous one have stirred my thirst for revisiting the series.

MasPingon

Arcane
Rpgcodex officialy became gaygamer spawn. In our next quality, indeph review Anita Sarkeesian will be talking about how much better P:T would be if you could play as a faggot. Stay tooned

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's also a massive amount of rape; more than nearly any other mainstream game of which I am aware. It even retcons

a lot of rape into the original Icewind Dale. These aren't just your run-of-the-mill legitimate rapes either, but systematic monster rapes that result in pregnancy; that old xenophobic subtext revealing white men's fear of The Non-White Other invading their homes and taking "their" women.

On further reflection I realized Josh Sawyer's fixation with rape isn't just limited to IWD2, but rather every project with his writing contributions. He's the one who brought Ginnafae and Marketh into IWD; the only rape situation in that game as far as I can remember. The Black Hound would have included a character who had become pregnant from rape. The Alien series is all about impregnating rape* and the Aliens RPG would have been no exception.

Sawyer ordered George Ziets to write a quest about rape into Fallout: New Vegas; additionally, he introduced Caesar's Legion, an army that rapes their way across the wasteland. I don't understand why someone who believes that "writing about topics with which you are familiar is a good approach" is so fixated with a subject he himself can never experience (with the lone exception of that oh-so-pleasurable and funny yuan-ti female-on-male rape). It's not as if one can't write a mature RPG without rape; (as far as I can remember) Planescape: Torment and Mask of the Betrayer did just fine. I'll have to resign myself to the fact that Sawyer is the Alan Moore* of western role playing video games. There are worse things one can be.

:love:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice review.

I just realized how much I long for a game that can keep up with the dungeon crawling fun that was IWDII.
And I really mean dungeon crawling with a party, not story driven games like the new Torment or Project Eternity.

Yes, I played KotC and it was nice, but lacking in variation. Also, for my taste it was just a bit too hard. It went over that gap between fun and frustration a bit too often for me.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The review the Codex deserves but not the one it needs right now?

And Caesar's Legion aren't really rapists. Their women just can't say no.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Hilarious. Wrong-headed. Brainwash-y. Roguey in a nutshell :P

p.s. IWD2 was the worst IE game, quite an achievement

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom