Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo: "I think you are about to see the golden age of RPGs come rushing back"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Interplay; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wasteland 2

The Polish gaming website Polygamia.pl has an interview with Brian Fargo. It's one of his more personal interviews, touching on not just Wasteland 2, Torment or Kickstarter, but also on Brian's career, his experiences at Interplay and the circumstances behind that company's demise. Here's an excerpt:

In the mid-90 Interplay was home for biggest RPG franchises - Stonekeep, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout. Do you think it was a golden age for the computer RPGs?

I think you are about to see the golden age of RPGs come rushing back in the next few years, with what I'm seeing from Obsidian, CD Projekt and of course what we are working on. But most certainly there was a purity to the development of RPGs in the 90's in which we were very attuned to our players. You could not make nearly the money on a game back then as you can today, and the budgets were a fraction of today's big spends. The risk factors changed greatly as we left the 90's and the pressure ramped up and created a lot of craziness. But I honestly see that purity and being in sync with the RPG players coming back full circle -- in fact it is even stronger than ever.​

What happened after that? Interplay went public, Titus Interactive had major control of the company, your plan to switch to consoles failed - was there a way to avoid these events?

The answer to this question is a story in itself and too hard to summarize in a short answer, but the PC industry was not supporting our infrastructure and most every publisher had one big console success. We had hoped Shiny would deliver ours, but that was not in the making and we had outside investors who were pushing us for growth and a way to get their investment out. It was just a storm of bad things. The only way to have saved the company would have been to bring it down to its core business of PC and just have a handful of people to get it back on track. I had a plan to do so but my investors had other ideas and felt that they could do better. I no longer had control of the company so I flipped them the keys and wished them luck.​

Was it hard for you to leave Interplay, or was it a chance for fresh start?

On one hand it was hard because being the CEO of Interplay defined me as a person and my role in the business, and suddenly that was over after 17 years. I loved the games and my people, but it was time to go, but I was also quite miserable as I got to spend almost no time on the games and all of my energy trying to pay down debt and fend off some pretty irrational stuff. One of my board members called it my character building years. It was pretty hellish at the end.​

What is you favorite element of Wasteland 2? How are you going do redefine the genre?

That is a tough question to answer, but we are trying hard to take the reactivity and mood to another level with Wasteland 2. One of the hardest things to do in making this game is creating tons of content that you know half the people won't see unless they play the game again, and while painful creatively it makes for a more realistic world. You can have some simple NPC join you in the game and there will quite a few fantastic sequences attributed to him through the entire game that players would never see if they didn't keep this seemingly unimportant figure. The writing is really first rate on the game and clearly comes from an adult perspective and experience. Layering on such a deep tactical combat experience over so much storyline combines elements that I have always wanted. And I have to say the radio chatter and its reactivity is going to bring the world to life in a strong way. We have a lot of pressure to deliver a classic.​

How modern video games can affect Torment experience? I mean checkpoints, lowered difficulty, radar, arrows showing where to go etc.

I think we have been very clear that the experiences we are creating have more in common with the old school games but take advantage of modern elements like configurable UI. The handholding aspects of some modern games are exactly what our backers don't want to see, so people shouldn't expect much help there. Discovery is a large part of the experience with these kinds of RPGs and too much sign posting can ruin that aspect.​

inXile, Obsidian and CD Projekt, harbingers of the new RPG golden age! Problem, potato haters?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stonekeep is a franchise, and a big one too? I don't think that one failed sequel makes for a franchise...

Stabwound

Arcane
Do it, Fargo. You can talk the talk but let's see you walk the walk.

I have high hopes for the CRPG future.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
inXile, Obsidian and CD Projekt, harbingers of the new RPG golden age!
ts.jpg

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know these developers want to keep the hype going in order to encourage sales,but I remember another time that a lot of promises were made:

Daikatana_ad_-_John_Romero_is_about_to_make_you_his_bitch_-_Suck_it_down.jpg

How about we relax and just see what we get when the game is actually released.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo said:
I think you are about to see the golden age of RPGs come rushing back in the next few years
We'll see about that. Although the mere possibility of this happeninng is a huge :incline: .
The interview is pretty good, by the way. Not just restating things already said in other interviews, but some actual new questions and answers. Amazing in this day an age.

Kz3r0

Arcane
inXile, Obsidian and CD Projekt, harbingers of the new RPG golden age! Problem, potato haters?
Let me see, smooth talking businessman engaging in silver tongue devilry with a Polish site, hmm....no, no problem at all.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Incline is back. Cleve foretold it in his own way. 2014 will be the best year ever to be a gamer, and I fucking swear I'm not full of shit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The golden age won't happen if those games end up being russian shovelware-tier as most of them seem to be.

Kron

Arcane
The golden age never existed in the first place.
It was just an impression given by a bunch of good games;
there still was a fuckton of uninspired shit being done, just like today.
Thus, there can not be a second golden age.

And supposedly brought by whom?
Fargo?
Obsidian?
Shitstarter?
Pfff.

Name

Cipher
It's good to see that they questioned InXile's track record, and answer is ok too.

Isn't the Golden Age of RPGs the era before 90s decline? Because at the end of the centuary Black Isle and Diablo games are generally considered as the renaissance of RPGs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Isn't the Golden Age of RPGs the era before 90s decline? Because at the end of the centuary Black Isle and Diablo games are generally considered as the renaissance of RPGs.

Yes, I'd say the Golden Age of RPGs was from 1988 to 1993, the peak being in 92-93. The late '90s and early '00s, before the release of the X-Box in 2002, was IMO the Golden Age of PC Gaming in general.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes, I'd say the Golden Age of RPGs was from 1988 to 1993, the peak being in 92-93. The late '90s and early '00s, before the release of the X-Box in 2002, was IMO the Golden Age of PC Gaming in general.
1988-1993 Golden Age of RPGs
1994-1997 Mid-90s Slump
1998-2003 Silver Age of RPGs
2003-2012 The Age of Decline
2013-???? The Age of Incline (I hope)

Oh look, another Surf Solarian brainfart

Angthoron

Arcane
As long as the Golden Shower Age ends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom