Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #53: Shadowrun Returns on July 25th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

The folks at Harebrained Schemes sent us this press release about Shadowrun Returns. That makes us feel important, so we've decided to share it with you:

Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Returns – A Shared Community Experience from End-to-End

Steam and Tablet Launch Worldwide on July 25, 2013

Kirkland, WA (June 18, 2013) Launching on Steam and mobile tablet devices on July 25, 2013, Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Returns has been a shared community experience from its beginning. The highly anticipated single-player tactical RPG is the first seven-figure Kickstarter funded game to launch, and fans have been eagerly sharing the year-long experience of watching the game develop.

Beyond its successful community funding, Harebrained Schemes is encouraging its community to share by releasing the game's game editor, a robust set of tools for anyone to use to create their own stories in Shadowrun’s rich and vibrant shared universe. While other games offer editing tools, Harebrained Schemes is going one step further by releasing the entire Shadowrun Returns campaign in the editor format.

"The idea of releasing all of the editor files for the Shadowrun Returns campaign was based on my experience working with Trent Reznor on the Alternate Reality Game (ARG) for his album Year Zero. Trent empowered his fans to re-mix his music anyway they wished by releasing the GarageBand tracks with the album. With Shadowrun Returns we are doing the same thing, players can start from what we have created and build on it, revise it, or use it as a starting point for completely new stories. I believe we are the first to release an editable version of an entire campaign, and we are excited to see where the players take this universe," said Jordan Weisman, founder of Harebrained Schemes and originator of Shadowrun.

Shadowrun Returns is a single player, turn-based tactical RPG (for Windows, Mac, and Apple & Android tablets) featuring a unique hand-painted art style that takes place in a cyberpunk future where magic has returned, awakening creatures of myth. Kickstarter backers have had early access to Shadowrun Returns' game editor tools and have already started creating game content that has surprised and delighted even the game's developers. Some of the earliest content made with the game editor can be seen here:
As many fans know, Shadowrun is a "shared universe" based on the 1980's venerable tabletop RPG that is still thriving today, and is about to launch a Fifth Edition from Catalyst Game Labs. The Shadowrun universe has endured and evolved for 24 years with hundreds of designers, authors, artists, engineers, and gamers contributing to its rich, layered setting. Shadowrun Returnand its players will extend this universe even further.

To learn more about Shadowrun Returns, go to Harebrained Schemes web site. Pre-orders for Shadowrun Returns are being taken now on Steam.​

There's more information in the game's latest Kickstarter update, including some new screenshots.

Koschey

Arcane
Unlikely it will show up at GOG at all, HBS' deal with MS requires them to release the game with some kind of DRM, so Steam-only. DRM-free versions of the main game and Berlin DLC for backers only was all they could get out of them. Ah well, we can still dream.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly the delay is more to do with putting it after Steam's big Summer Sale which will start within the next couple of weeks. Releasing during the sale would mean it gets completely drowned out.

Not sure if releasing after the sale is a good idea, though. People's wallets are gonna be kinda drained out, having bought enough games to last them a while. I imagine many will just wait until it goes on a sale of its own.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not sure if releasing after the sale is a good idea, though. People's wallets are gonna be kinda drained out, having bought enough games to last them a while. I imagine many will just wait until it goes on a sale of its own.

I'm thinking the 25th will be a week or so after the sale ends assuming the sale starts at the end of June/start of July. Not that there's an ideal time to release there but after is definitely better because at least people will see all the headlines and promotions and such. No one would see it mid-sale.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Berlin DLC exclusive to KS backers?

Also, there is no option to pre-order from their site. They redirect to Steam.
The Berlin DLC is not backer exclusive, but the backers get it for free.

I don't think there's an actual possibility to pre-order form them, they only offer the DRM free downloads for the people who backed the project, the rest is handled exclusively by Steam.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly the delay is more to do with putting it after Steam's big Summer Sale which will start within the next couple of weeks. Releasing during the sale would mean it gets completely drowned out.
If only You were right.
I suspect more of a last-minute crunch and bugfixing reasons for the delay.

MCA

I don't think there's an actual possibility to pre-order form them, they only offer the DRM free downloads for the people who backed the project, the rest is handled exclusively by Steam.

I will have to pay for Berlin DLC, then. Shit.

Also, I had thought that Berlin was originally supposed to be the main setting, not a "DLC" since that's what people voted on. How and why did that change?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I will have to pay for Berlin DLC, then. Shit.

Also, I had thought that Berlin was originally supposed to be the main setting, not a "DLC" since that's what people voted on. How and why did that change?
Nope, the vote was for "What other city in addition to Seattle would you like to see?" I think a secondary city was one of the stretch goals and Berlin won that poll, but the main setting was always going to be Seattle, so nothing's changed in that regard. The Berlin part was originally supposed to be a part of the basic game, but due to monetary reasons it got cut and relegated to expansion status, although backers will still get it for free when it's released, as that was promised during the campaign.

Wizfall

Cipher
evdk is right about Berlin even if i think it was even more a time issue than a monetary issue to delay Berlin part for latter.
It amazed me what HBS has managed to do in the short amount of time they had.
It even come with an editor and has graphics that not only are gorgeous but succeed to capture the Shadowrun atmosphere.

I don't understand people who are talking about dumbing down, streamlined gameplay and no implementation of some features.
The main goal was not to create a hardcore cRPG but a game reminiscent of the console game (but TB), especially the SNES one, which had none of these features.
Sure they wanted to implement as much RPG elements as they could but still.
I'm quite sure the backers who backed the game in memory of the console game won't be disappointed.
Not so sure about those expecting the ultimate hardcore cRPG even if i think it would be more complex than 99% of the other cRPG out there.

Also the comparison with Conquistador is biased, HBS had much less time to create the game while Conquistador was already in an advanced state of development when they started the kickstarter.
A comparison to W2 would be more appropriate even if W2 has twice the SR budget (when you subtract the fee), no editor, not so nice graphics (nice bit not as nice, personal taste though) and a 3/4 months longer development time (if W2 is not delayed).
As far as i can see without playing the game, HBS has formidably managed his budget. I don't know how they could have done better, some have just insane expectation considering their constraints.
I'm a Shadowrun fanboy though (both the RPG and the console game) :)

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin

They closed the preordering options few last month. I wanted to upgrade my slacker backer level but it wasn't possible anymore:

Hello -
We'd love to take your money but, unfortunately, there is no a way to upgrade your purchase at this time. We stopped taking upgrades quite awhile ago.
Thanks for asking -
HBS

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Sad day. Needed something to do with my July. Buuut, way it goes, I spose. A year from now we'll remember that we got a game with a month's fewer bugs, not that we had to wait a month longer than we'd expected.

Incidentally, have we heard if the game supports character export/import between campaigns, and if the second campaign is meant to reference/be a sequel to the first or be of a power level appropriate to someone at the end of the first campaign? Or are they standalone? I hope endgame saves are carry-overable within the editor, at least. We could get some sagas going, show Bioware a thing or two about reacting to decisions made in prequels.

Also: Do we know anything about the length of the campaigns? I'm living in fear of something really brief.

Branm

Learned
Incidentally, have we heard if the game supports character export/import between campaigns, and if the second campaign is meant to reference/be a sequel to the first or be of a power level appropriate to someone at the end of the first campaign? Or are they standalone? I hope endgame saves are carry-overable within the editor, at least. We could get some sagas going, show Bioware a thing or two about reacting to decisions made in prequels.

Also: Do we know anything about the length of the campaigns? I'm living in fear of something really brief.

Yes you for sure can import your character into any user made campaign as long as the creator allows it. They are looking at making Berlin harder so that you can import your PC and still have a challenge.

AFAIK they said campaign length for Seattle about 12 hours if you play careful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom