Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Help get Dominions 3 on Steam

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Dominions 3; Steam

268x268.resizedimage

Codex forum-goer pakoito received an email from the owner of the largest Dominions 3 server talking about how Illwinter's contract with their publisher has run out and how they want to get put on Steam through Steam Greenlight.

Hi,
llamabeast here. This email is basically a plea to help get Dominions 3 onto Steam, and hopefully expose thousands of new players to this wonderful game. You're receiving it because, as someone who's played in the past on the llamaserver, I thought it was a fair bet that you might take an interest in all things Dominions 3 even if you haven't played recently.

So, a bit of background: Illwinter's contract with Shrapnel has finally run out, and with their newfound freedom they've put in an application to have Dominions 3 available on Steam. Steam has a system called Greenlight for evaluating potential new additions to their catalogue. Basically there is a page for each game, and they watch how many people take an interest in it.

Thus far, according to Johan (the coding half of Illwinter), Dom3 is not on track to make it on to Steam. There has been a fair amount of interest (maybe around half of what would be needed), but right now it's not looking good. However if everyone who received this email went onto the Greenlight page and commented in favour, it would basically be a slam dunk.

The page is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123485567

If you would like to help, please click "Yes", on "Would you buy this game?", and more importantly, write a short comment in the comments section. For some reason it seems to be the comments that they count.

As of this writing there are about 500 comments. Johan reckons they need maybe 1000 to get onto Steam. This email is going out to 1523 people. (Pretty amazing how many people have used the llamaserver over time! As an aside I also found while preparing this email that a total of 6450 nations have battled on the llamaserver!)

As you may have guessed, I think it would be really great to get Dom3 on Steam. Steam brings access to a huge increased audience and great marketing capabilities, whereas Shrapnel and Desura are at best quite obscure. I'd hope that a renewed influx of players would breathe new life into the modding and multiplayer communities (which are actually both incredibly healthy almost 7 years after release - but more people is always good).

I hope you don't mind me taking advantage of having your email address to spam you this one time. Illwinter don't know I'm doing this, and I don't have a direct vested interest. But as many of you will know, I really love this game, and very much want its community to continue to thrive long into the future.

Cheers,

llama

The Greenlight page can be found here. All you have to do is click Yes.

DakaSha

Arcane
I got this too. Dont give a shit since they stopped supporting it though. For 60 bucks they could have worked a bit more on the micromanagement and AI.

Of course maybe they will support it more if its on steam... hmm

Prob not

spectre

Arcane
Maybe I'm getting it all wrong, but how about they push for Dominions 4 instead of trying to sell a 7 year old game? Those who dig this have already bought it, and the unwashed masses don't really care for this type of games and their 300-page manuals.

DakaSha

Arcane
Because putting an already made game on steam is easier than creating a new one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom