Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #55: Vertical Slice Update (with awesome new dungeon art)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update is a progress report on the game's Vertical Slice phase. Here's an excerpt:

This month we are knee-deep in the Vertical Slice phase and this will be the team's focus for the month of June. It's our way of proving that we are ready to jump forward into production and start making shippable content.

The Vertical Slice is just that, a cross section (think of it as a slice of bread cut out from the middle of a loaf) of the world of Project Eternity. At the end of this phase the game will be feature complete, and the content building portion of the team, including area designers, environment artists, and character artists can make shippable content now. Our Vertical Slice is eleven maps large; encompassing our village and dungeon from Prototype 2, and the dungeon and wilderness area from Prototype 1 (we call this area "The Valley of Hector" internally). The content from the prototypes are refactored to fit within the context of the world and overall story of the game. Feature-wise, we are targeting to have the majority of the world building tools complete and all of the character classes playable up to level five.

pe-dungeon-concept.580.jpg

Larger version - The above image is a vertical slice dungeon concept by Polina. Her paint-over will be used as reference for the polish pass.

Read the full update to learn what tasks the Project Eternity team is working on right now, which include creating an improved, more compact version of the UI we saw last week.

In the beginning I was unsure about PE, but I knew I could trust a game with Tim Cain in the team. Man this should be a nice fantasy crpg. Just hoping it won't go Dragon Age route...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm unsure whether that dungeon is actually a screenshot from the game's current build, or if it's something that Polina drew or modelled. The description points to the latter, but it certainly looks like an Infinity Engine screenshot. What's a "dungeon concept"?

I'm unsure whether that dungeon is actually a screenshot from the game's current build, or if it's something that Polina drew or modelled. The description points to the latter, but it certainly looks like an Infinity Engine screenshot. What's a "dungeon concept"?

Don't know bro, but I don't think it's an in-game screenshot.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a piece of art. Possibly based on a 3d render, but I know from the Obsidian forums that it's at least mostly art. On there they really appreciated the Infinity Engine feel.

EDIT: Yeah, it says paint-over. So it's something 2d/3d painted over.

hiver

:looks at the pic - exhales a sigh of content and relaxation:

:aaaahhhhhhh ...mmmm... aaahhhh:

:)

MCA
3D scene with 2D after-touches. Think of the first ever 2D scene with the fall and sculptures and the screens of 3D renders and the prototype video that followed. You can spot the repeating wall tiles.

And finally, the heritage of 2D games is being carried forward once again, improving. This already looks so much better than a dozen shitty 3D RPGs.

Too bad that Sawyerist combat will dominate the game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
GOTY for whatever year it's released, and probably game of the decade, and potential for best game of all time.
Look at that dungeon.
That's the kind of dungeon I'd settle down in, with a nice family. We could bake bread and live off the land in such a beautiful dungeon.

Oh and I'm glad they're iterating on the UI. Less focus on "click times" and "mouse movement", and more focus on "overview" and "presentation" would be nice.

Wizfall

Cipher
My first reaction was : woo it looks awesome !
Not even 5 second later i was thinking : yes but it really looks like BG2.
It's not a bad thing at all, that exactly what we have pledge for but that quickly kill somehow the "awesome feeling" (for me at least).
I guess this is why there are a not a ton of comments, PE graphics (if it is a screenshot or will look like that) look great but it was expected.
The big question is more if it will have a good gameplay and RPG elements
Also too bad Obsidian did not choose a setting that is not heroic fantasy.
I would have love a space opera cRPG with IE graphics/view for example (something like Hard Nova).
In the end this really good though :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I hope that pathing will suck less than old IE games.
If I recall correctly, they said something about pathing being a piece of cake in Unity. I don't have the source though :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BG graphics need to evolve to allow more interactivity :troll:

Something like a true 3d, for climbing stuff and under/over layers, even if the perspective remains fixed. And TB of course, JA2 in IE basically (or ToEE with layers and stances).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom