Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 196: Lord British on Ultima and Akalabeth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Akalabeth: World of Doom; Matt Barton; Richard Garriott; Ultima; Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness

It turns out Matt Barton wasn't quite done with Richard Garriott yet. The latest episode of Matt's show is a short interview with Lord British about the beginning of his career. It's actually rather eclectic, with a surprising focus on Garriot's literary inspirations and his experience in world design, as well as various technical issues he encountered on the Apple II back in the day.

Seriously though Matt, he's no Tolkien.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Still missing the anwer to the incredibly obvious question everyone wants to ask him, though…

If you spent 30 mirrion dorra to go to the moon or where the fuck did you go, why do you need kickstarter to finance a game?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Still missing the anwer to the incredibly obvious question everyone wants to ask him, though…

If you spent 30 mirrion dorra to go to the moon or where the fuck did you go, why do you need kickstarter to finance a game?
He already gave an anwser. He spent much money on funding his studio already. He don't want to fully fund the game.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

He already gave an anwser. He spent much money on funding his studio already. He don't want to fully fund the game.
i completely missed this
where did he say it?
Thanks in advance Mr. Barton.

also, 30 millions he can spend, 1 million he can't?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i completely missed this
where did he say it?

You should really do a least a little bit a research first. The game costs much more than 1 million. He already has private investors, and he's spent his own money on Portalarium. The kickstarter was basically for a little extra money on top.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

i completely missed this
where did he say it?

I don't remember, maybe in a previous Matt Chat, or a written interview.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
i completely missed this
where did he say it?

You should really do a least a little bit a research first. The game costs much more than 1 million. He already has private investors, and he's spent his own money on Portalarium. The kickstarter was basically for a little extra money on top.

i did, when this kickstarter thing first came out. then i lost interest. interviews were about "lol consoles are dead" "lol game designers suck", etc...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Too bad this mad genius hasn't produced anything worth a damn in almost 20 years now. Shroud of the Avatar doesn't really excite me either. Would like to be proved wrong, but for now I'm looking at Divinity Original Sin as the real Ultima spiritual successor.

Repressed Homosexual
Another? When will Matt start making interviews about true forgotten designers or obscure ones, instead of turning his show into a giant infommercial? I like all of his guests, but it's becoming a bit much if he's turning into the Sham Wow guy.

Jakab, tell him to take a little break or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another? When will Matt start making interviews about true forgotten designers or obscure ones, instead of turning his show into a giant infommercial? I like all of his guests, but it's becoming a bit much if he's turning into the Sham Wow guy.

posted after five straight episodes with Neal Hallford, who is possibly the most underappreciated RPG designer ever

Repressed Homosexual
The ratio is still out of whack. Also Matt actually sort of decries this behavior in his blog posts, and yet he continuously keeps at it. Also as much as I love Neal, to be perfectly honest he had a Kickstarter as well.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

posted after five straight episodes with Neal Hallford, who is possibly the most underappreciated RPG designer ever
isn' t hallford the betrayal at krondor guy? who underappreciates him? on the codex, at least...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The ratio is still out of whack. Also Matt actually sort of decries this behavior in his blog posts, and yet he continuously keeps at it. Also as much as I love Neal, to be perfectly honest he had a Kickstarter as well.

Well, he has one more interview with Garriott and he's probably been waiting for a chance to post these since the SotA Kickstarter (Matt seems to have quite the backlog). We'll see what comes after that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Episode 200 HAS to be about the release of Grimoire, with a massive interview with the J.R.R. Tolkien of the last 20000 generations, THE CLEVELAND.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
My God... Garriott sounds sane and coherent. This would have been easier to watch if he was wearing a tin foil hat or a paper mache crown.

Yes, his ideas about world design are basically solid. I can only assume that at some point in the 90s he failed to realize, or perhaps failed to impart to his employees, just how important those ideas were.

A strong design philosophy isn't worth much if the entire company isn't on board. You can bet that every developer at Obsidian knows the "Obsidian way".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
10 videos about modern designers vs at least 50 about oldtimers. Yeah, what a horrible ratio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom