Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Double Fine’s next Kickstarter game is Massive Chalice

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Double Fine; Kickstarter; Massive Chalice

Double Fine’s next Kickstarter game is Massive Chalice

Double Fine is seeking funding for a new tactical fantasy game called Massive Chalice through Kickstarter.

Studio veteran Brad Muir is the project lead, and will be heading up Kickstarter campaign. He is the creator of tower defence mech shooter Iron Brigade, and served as programmer on Psychonauts and a designer on Brütal Legend. He describes Massive Chalice as “A tactical fantasy game set on a thing we call the epic timeline,” he tells us. “So the players will be taking the role of this immortal king that’s defending this kingdom against an invading demon army, so you’re gonna have the game split into two halves.”

“You’ll have a strategic side where you’ll be managing the realm and making a bunch of decisions from an overhead map, and then there will be a tactical side, the other half of the game, where you’re manoeuvring around a bunch of heroes on this smaller-scale tactical map, fighting demons.”

“The big twist is the epic timeline – this battle against the demons is going to last hundreds of years, so as the king you’ll have to make some really hard decisions with your heroes because they’re going to age over time. And so when your speeding up that flow of time on the strategic map, kinda like in XCOM, the heroes will age and the event will be very spaced out – the demonic attacks will be spaced five or ten years apart.”

Muir cites XCOM, Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem as the main inspirations for the new game. The studio is aiming to release the game on PC, Mac and Linux – other platforms are not planned yet, but remain a possibility – “maybe down the line we’ll see how it goes,” said Muir when questioned.

There’s more detail on Double Fine’s Kickstarter page.

Thanks to Infinitron for this one!

Branm

Learned
Ummm so yeah... no track record in turn based games. This Brian Muir a nobody whose only game released is some shity looking console mech game.

Further more they have shown 0% progress with the adventure they kickstarted, at least I cant find any in game footage.

LOL i have more confidence in Full Control to create a good Jagged Alliance then in these guys.... Their pitch video is also a joke....How about talking about the game then some lame attempt at humor.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sounds interesting, but Double Fine fans will fund it no matter what, so I see little reason to pledge $20 now instead of waiting to see how it works out.

And yeah, lead guy is a nobody, all that hype and build-up for him was lame.... btw, this is the Brazen game they mentioned:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From the fine tactical minds that brought you Brutal Legend and Iron Brigade!

Branm

Learned
ROFL brazen looks like console trash... Cant believe a bunch of nobodies got this much money after less then 24 hrs.

And people actually enjoy a video which tells you pretty much nothing about the game. Sigh all these people seem to just be backing blindly. You can hype Chris Avellone, Brian Fargo etc but Tim "nobody" Muir... Meh

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's the Double Fine brand. It's very popular in hipster circles.

Branm

Learned
Which brand? LOL sorry I feel totally out of the loop. I never heard of these guys other then that they had that adventure game kickstarter. Why are they so popular? I understand why Torment and Wasteland 2 got the love (considering the people involved) but these guys?

All the games shown for instance mostly look like average (at best) console games. And the engine they are talking about, gotta be a joke. Seriously....Are they only famous due to Day of the Tentacle?

Totally different genres...and Tim Shaefer not even involved and id argue that Dave Grossman had a bigger impact on that series. If we compare what telltale games and Double FIne has done recently its a strike out of the park for telltale games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are famous due to all of the old LucasArts games that Schaefer worked on and due to Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. They also have the reputation of making quirky little games that the hipsters like can brag about liking.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Hi. I made a platformer and a horrible hybrid-game. Please give me money to make a hardcore tactical title."

Eh?

Will wait and see what details are released. The concept does sound cool.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like the ideas, but I have many questions about the execution.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well my interest is peaked, I'll be following this closely, I also think the name is worse than Stacking, has anyone started referring to it as massive phallus yet?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which brand? LOL sorry I feel totally out of the loop. I never heard of these guys other then that they had that adventure game kickstarter. Why are they so popular? I understand why Torment and Wasteland 2 got the love (considering the people involved) but these guys?

All the games shown for instance mostly look like average (at best) console games. And the engine they are talking about, gotta be a joke. Seriously....Are they only famous due to Day of the Tentacle?

Totally different genres...and Tim Shaefer not even involved and id argue that Dave Grossman had a bigger impact on that series. If we compare what telltale games and Double FIne has done recently its a strike out of the park for telltale games.
If you don't even fucking know who Double Fine is, just kill yourself and don't smear your shit all over the Codex. Fucking newfags.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you played Brutal Legend you'd know that its wise to stay far away from a strategy game made by Double Fine.
I liked Brutal Legend, but I won't be pledging to this one because the reward tiers are not interesting in the bang-for-buck sense. I might still get interested in this around release, if I'm done playing all my incline RPGs by then (so I probably won't).

Back to Expeditions Conquistador.

Branm

Learned

If you don't even fucking know who Double Fine is, just kill yourself and don't smear your shit all over the Codex. Fucking newfags.

Awwww you mad? Cry me a river.

And yeah Double Fine blame me for not knowing of an average at best console dev.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Awwww you mad? Cry me a river.

And yeah Double Fine blame me for not knowing of an average at best console dev.
Then how do you know of inXile, when they were a shitty console dev before their kickstarter?

Branm

Learned
inXile, well Brian Fargo and co...loved Wasteland and Planescape one of my all time favorite games so I kept tabs on Colin Mccomb

Note that I didnt back Wasteland 2 but I did back Torment and Project Eternity. I also backed some titles which got no love like the new JA.

Obviously I heard of Tim Schafer and loved Monkey Island and Manic Mansion back in the days but I don't have all that much faith in them to deliver a quality tactical title with some Brad Muir as lead dev. At least inXile brought in known people for WL2 and Torment and they stuck to the genre that made them famous and which they have plenty of experience in.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I also backed some titles which got no love like the new JA.

Why? Their pitch was as weak as Double Fine's. And they are nobodies. At least DF had humor and explained the main gameplay elements.

Dexter

Arcane
Tim Schafer, the studio head worked on: Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island (co-writer), Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (co-writer), Day of the Tentacle (co-writer/co-director), Full Throttle (project lead), Grim Fandango (project lead).

At Double Fine they've made:
Psychonauts
Brütal Legend
Costume Quest
Stacking
Iron Brigade
The Cave

Are now working on:
Broken Age (The KickStarter Adventure)

If you don't live in a lonely shack in the woods without Internet chances are you've probably heard of them before. (And most of their games are rather charming/unique/nice even if they don't always deliver 100% at least they are trying to do something different.)

Branm

Learned
I also backed some titles which got no love like the new JA.

Why? Their pitch was as weak as Double Fine's. And they are nobodies. At least DF had humor and explained the main gameplay elements.

Ohh I agree the pitch was nothing to write home about and totally agree that they are nobodies. Also the $25 tier was way way overpriced. As to why i still backed it?

Well its for one a true indie effort and they didnt pretend to be all stars like this Brad Muir guy in the Double Fine kickstarter.

More so then anything though i figured its worth taking a shot for another JA. They did a lot of good in my books bringing Chris Camfield and some well known modders on board. Do I have total faith??? Of course not, but I do have more faith in Full Control making a good tactical game then a dev which is only known for console games ( While the old LucasArts games true classics which i loved that was 20+ years ago and not even in the same genre )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom