Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Retrospective: Roguey smashes the patriarchy in Josh Sawyer's Icewind Dale

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Icewind Dale

Since development on Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity began last year, its project director and lead designer, Josh Sawyer, has been a figure of much controversy. His design decisions and the philosophy underlying them have been the spark for many a flamewar, causing Codexer to turn against Codexer, pro-Sawyer battling anti-Sawyer in bloody forum combat.

Yet no Codexer has been so vehement in the defense of everything Sawyer like Roguey, the forum's resident radical feminist and creepy stalker. When Roguey completed a retrospective playthrough of Black Isle's Icewind Dale (which was Josh Sawyer's first foray into game design) and wrote down his impressions, we couldn't help but feel impressed (and amused) by his dedication. We asked for more, and we received. I present to you what I hope will be the first in a series of retrospective reviews of the works of Mr. Joshua Eric Sawyer.

Prepare yourself for...

9847.jpg

Read the full article: RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Roguey smashes the patriarchy in Josh Sawyer's Icewind Dale

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Well, this will be entertaining, one way or another.

Infinitron spent 20+ posts talking about how he wanted everyone to ignore roguey, now he makes her the subject of an undoubtedly shit article polluting the frontpage. Good job, herpaderpitron.

We need another mod purge methinks.

MasPingon

Arcane
I was afraid Josh might loose the battle, watching him struggle all those damn design decisions demons, but then he delivers in chapter 6 and saves the day. Truly heartbreaking story

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damn it, Roguey , we can't brofist you for starting another flame war if you don't make an appearance. Don't make me brofist Infinitron instead.

Fella_Show_Yourself_FINAL.png

Icewind Dale was a good game with some nice moments, but the comment about having different writers doing their own thing strikes true. I remember moments in Baldur's Gate quite well, but hardly anything in Icewind Dale even though I beat the game after I beat BG1. Maybe it was a lack of a common thread in between encounters, or that the area seemed so barren because of the winter frontier setting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Retweeted by a feminist: https://twitter.com/Noffsnoffs

Roguey's got fans. :lol:

You know a woman is paper-bag ugly when she is a feminist and her twitter profile pic is a dog.
You saying Roguey's got bad graphics?

Icewind Dale was a good game with some nice moments, but the comment about having different writers doing their own thing strikes true. I remember moments in Baldur's Gate quite well, but hardly anything in Icewind Dale even though I beat the game after I beat BG1. Maybe it was a lack of a common thread in between encounters, or that the area seemed so barren because of the winter frontier setting.
I don't remember shit from the vanilla but I remember Heart of Winter and Trials of the Loremaster quite clearly. Weird.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roguey's dismissive tone doesn't work as well over a piece this length. Content is good though. Poor mechanics with good content, I guess Roguey is the Tim Cain of cRPG reviewing :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom