Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #20: Progress Report from the Torment Triumvirate

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Heine; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

This month's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update features progress reports from each member of the game's reigning triumvirate of designers. Kevin Saunders writes about the selection of the game's combat system, Colin McComb writes about the process of developing the game's story and companions, and Adam Heine discusses some of the technical details of the game's area design methodology. Since Torment's combat system is a topic of particular interest to the Codex, I'll quote that part:

Since we announced the project back in January, Torment fans have been wondering what combat system we'd use. Would Torment be real-time with pause (RTwP) like Planescape: Torment, turn-based like Wasteland 2, or something else? We've explained our high level goals for combat, and how we felt multiple types of combat system could achieve them. (If you missed it during the Kickstarter, check out Tony Evans’s Tales of Torment video about combat.) We've explained that we plan to have the decision about the type of combat system through a discussion with you, our backers.​

This combat discussion is something we’re curious and excited about, but it’s still months in our future. Combat design will be very important, but our current focus is on the aspects that contribute the most to conversation design and reactivity because figuring these aspects out is necessary for all of the writers to get to work. Combat is an important topic, just not an urgent one, and we’ll talk more about it soon as we’re ready.​

We've thought a bit about how we’ll approach the combat discussion when the time comes. We are planning a staged approach over a period of a few weeks. First, we’ll present the high level designs for the systems we think would work best for Torment based upon all of the other design work we’ll have done by then. We’ll then create a separate, backer-only Combat forum on User Voice for the topic to be discussed. A bit later, we’ll open up “voting” on this forum – thereby giving everyone who is interested some time to read and think about the approaches, as well as the ideas and comments of other backers, before weighing in numerically. We’ll leave the forum open until any debate has stabilized - we don’t expect there to be complete consensus, but after some time the major points will have been made and we’ll have enough information to make our decision.​

Some of you have expressed concern that a popular vote could override our judgment and lead to an inferior game. This is a valid concern, but we’re not going to let this happen. First, we’re not going to present any option that we feel would be tragic for Torment. Second, we won’t blindly look at the numbers and decide based on those. Ultimately, we’ll take everyone’s comments and ideas into account and make the decision that we feel will be best for the game. But, again, this will be some time in the future – after we have fleshed out enough of the more pressing design topics to give combat the thorough attention it deserves.​

The update also recaps a bunch of other events that have happened over the past month. Among other things, there's an update on the status of the game's many tie-in novellas, a belated introduction to writer Natalie Whipple, links to various interviews inXile has given recently (including our own prestigious Codex interviews) and this awesome piece of concept art by Andrée Wallin.

Direwolf

Arcane
I like their approach. Listen to all the ideas, but only pick the ones that they feel will be good for the game. Tell everyone with a stupid idea to fuck off.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"We will have some openings for Torment over the next few months, with the first being for an experienced programmer."

and that's how you end up with 300+ employees and start making AAA+A titles just to keep the whole bloated thing alive

:)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Their updates, more than any other KS project, fill me with confidence. I worry not for Torment. :obviously:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
and that's how you end up with 300+ employees and start making AAA+A titles just to keep the whole bloated thing alive

Yes, well-run companies never have job openings. :eek:

I don't have an exact headcount but I don't think the in-studio staff for inXile has ever exceeded two dozen in this Kickstarter era. I would be shocked if for any reason we ever go over 40.

grdja

Augur
40-50 is a big studio capable of producing actual quality. What were the sizes of BiS, LGS and even Blizzard (before they became leaders of decline).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, these counts are for just one game. BIS and LGS had other projects as well, so they had more employees than that.

In terms of team size, Kickstarter games are more similar to games from the early 90s than the late 90s.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
A name-count in the credits would include everyone, so also people from other teams who helped out on part-time basis and contract workers. Like, Andrée Wallin will be in the WL2 credits but he's not an in-studio fulltime guy.

I honestly don't know what the typical studio size for projects in the 90s was. I do know that at 40 you start hitting inefficiencies and start adding producers just to keep an eye on people. I don't even know how they get work done with 300+ people. Inefficiently, I suppose.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was a good update. I wouldn't worry about bloating the team. Larian Studios only got a million dollars through their KS and they're hiring two people already. All these Torment stretch goals cost money because they mean additional man-hours to be covered, so it is not surprising they want to hire someone to do this work.

hiver

Everything in the update except the part about the combat, is actually interesting and worth reading, more or less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom