Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #54: Mega Art Update + UI Mockup

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

This week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update is all about the art. Art Director Rob Nesler gives us a full progress report, including details on what each member of the game's art team is up to. Here's his description of the game's current status:

You've read about Prototype 1 and then Prototype 2. Those were efforts to implement features that represent the functional and playable standard of our goal: an Infinity Engine style of game. Those efforts were focused collaborations of designing, programming and art-ing things, trying them out, addressing problems as they came up (visual, functional or otherwise failing to live up to our standard) and repeating. The art goals were held to an 80-90% complete (aka: unpolished). The remaining 10-20% of work will be left toward the end of the "next phase," as always there will be edits and modifications after initial implementation of art. The basic truth of this interactive artistic endeavor that we are involved in is that you can't know it's a worthwhile experience, until you make it, people play it, and then provide feedback. We adjust our work to that feedback - a feedback loop. Boom! Consider yourself educated.​

The "next phase" is a Vertical Slice. This is a goal in which we focus on one part of the game within a shell of what is essentially the fully-featured game - relying on the things developed in the prototypes, as well as implementing a fully-functional UI, attempting to finalize all art and gameplay to a more polished standard, and accommodate design changes that are required to make the player experience more complete - as if this part were a finalized, short game in itself.​

There are also a few art samples, the most interesting of which is this UI mockup:

pe-hud-wip.580.jpg

Very IWD2-ish. Right down to using some of the exact same art, in fact. It's still better than what some "fans" in the Kickstarter comments are asking for, though. Stay the course, Obsidian!

MasPingon

Arcane
Looks nice and clean. I would stretch it a bit tho, those figures at the edge are completely unnecessary. There are also too many icons over the portraits, the list should be expandable after clicking on it

A bit too large and obtrusive. To be honest I'd rather have a more modern, less decorated UI. Sure, it has the "old school" feel, but I've always liked to see as much of the gameworld as possible, as long as the UI is functional.

himmy

Arcane
Mark continues refining until everybody is happy or the game ships - whichever comes first. No, no, no, just kidding!

Yeah, a little too close to home, Obsidian.

Stabwound

Arcane
Looks okay. They're really pushing for the Infinity Engine feeling with this game.

BobtheTree

Savant
Looks a lot like the Icewind Dale II interface. I'd like a bit of distance from the IE UI look. I'm sure with higher resolutions they could come up with something that looks a bit sharper than this. Right now it pretty much just likes a UI made for lower resolutions all smashed to the bottom of the screen. We've got a lot of screen space now. They shouldn't be afraid to use it.

Amn Nom

Learned
Looks amazing, I really hope they make the damage area a little more detailed and avoid the 'numbers over the head' thing that is so popular now.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Looks ok. Nothing too intrusive. I still, would prefer if they give some UI options, e.g., 1) like it is, 2) portraits on the left (right) side as in BG, 3) Possibility to hide everything only appearing when you press pause button or drag the mouse to the bottom of the screen (for example like in Windows where you have an option to hide the toolbar).

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Again, I know I repeat myself, and that I’m old, and jaded, and dull and sad, but… the super-forced attempt at humor at the beginning? Not necessary. We get it, you guys are hilarious. Just give us the info, or pay someone to write actual jokes. Please.

Ramireza

Savant
OMG, thats WAY TO CLOSE to the Infinity Engine Games. (At first i realy believed this is just a bad joke tbh)

The fact that most ppl welcome this only shows that many of the backers are just nostalgic nerds that want to repeat "the good old times" over and over again.

Decline

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks amazing, I really hope they make the damage area a little more detailed and avoid the 'numbers over the head' thing that is so popular now.
I hope this is a toggle so I don't necessarily have to rely on the combat log to see how much damage I'm doing/taking.

That's how combat-logless Torment did it. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom