Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo interviewed for "Kickstarted" documentary

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kz3r0

Arcane
If you're interested, Kickstarted will itself be Kickstarted on May 21st.
Not the first of this kind, they usually fail, but having Fargo in could give them better chances, he has run two multi-million campaign after all, and people will be surely interested in what he has to say.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That music made me want to shoot myself

Still nice interview and WHEN DO WE GET SOME NEW MEDIA\SCREENIES\INFO FFS

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No matter how many times I hear Fargo talk about Wasteland 2 I get all warm and fuzzy inside.:love:

Seriously, he is a great salesman and he exudes confidence and respectability. It doesn't hurt that he talks the talk and seems to truly want to make "old school" cRPGs once again. :D

WTF, it says inXile raised only over 4188927 in both kickstarters combined (around 2:00)??? :? I guess they raised around 7 million, not 4. Some documentary. :roll:

But seeing Fargo talk about W2 makes my heart melt. :love: :desu:

:troll:

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Bad journalism, this flic looks more like an advertising movie for KS itself. The questions were absolutely meaningless and one-sided, would be more interesting to hear more about failed campaigns.

Kirtai

Augur
He has a good point about how the game is pre-paid and pre-vetted before it goes on sale. Lessens the risk a lot.

Wizfall

Cipher
W2 kickstarter campaign is a part of cRPG history.
It would be the campaign cRPG fan will remember in 20 years no matter the quality of the game.
So much hope with this game and so many questions.
Is it really possible to make a "modern" old school cRPG in only 18 months ?
How good (or bad...) W2 will be ? W2 will do it or not ?
And if it's a good/great game, how much will it sell ?
I'm not impatient about playing the game itself but i can't wait to know how that nostalgic dream will turn out.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Chris Taylor would probably have an... interesting perspective too. Though it would probably just be really depressing.

there is still a risk for the dev?
Actually yeah, they're putting their good will on the line. If you fail to deliver what fans are expecting from a kickstarter you have no excuses or fallbacks. You destroy your core fanbase. For a developer like InXile or Hairbrained Schemes that could be a death sentence.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
He has a good point about how the game is pre-paid and pre-vetted before it goes on sale. Lessens the risk a lot.
I think Kirtai means compared to normal publishing. It's true, Kickstarter is your market research to some extent, and that helps a lot. If your Kickstarter fails, there might just not be interest in the game. Though that shouldn't be oversold either, some games that would do well on the marketplace just don't do well on Kickstarter, like Wildman or (very typically) smartphone/tablet games.

But yes, as tuluse said, there's a big risk of goodwill, you do set up promises and expectations very early. Usually as a dev you get a lot longer iterating stuff before you have to publicly promise something and lock in (publisher promises aside). That can be problematic for some developers, and that increases the goodwill risk compared to publisher-backed games. Not to mention you can't blame anyone else for it if it goes wrong, it's your own fault. Also, quite a few devs do supplement Kickstarter money with their own money, probably most notably Portalarium (I doubt Kickstarter is even the majority of their budget for them), so there's that too.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bad journalism, this flic looks more like an advertising movie for KS itself. The questions were absolutely meaningless and one-sided, would be more interesting to hear more about failed campaigns.

Yep, it even uses the colour code and the fonts... This is definitely more advertising than documentary, even if Fargo himself seems as sincere as can be. This crowdfunding business is still a great opportunity for many projects, certainly, but the true winners in all this are obviously the Kickstarter founders themselves. They already seem to have a monopoly on the all thing. Let's hope it won't restraint opportunities and that other efficient structures and ways of getting crowdfunded will appear, so that it stays as open and true as possible.

Kirtai

Augur
I think Kirtai means compared to normal publishing.
Indeed. With crowd funding you know there's interest and exactly how much you have to work with and don't need to worry about things like fines, cancellations, publishers dragging their feet, shortchanging you or even cheating you outright. Even better, since the game is already fully paid for, it means they're not so dependent on the big initial sales and can afford to take a longer term view since they don't need to recoup a big investment right away.

But yes, goodwill is the main thing they risk losing instead.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Yep, it even uses the colour code and the fonts... This is definitely more advertising than documentary, even if Fargo himself seems as sincere as can be. This crowdfunding business is still a great opportunity for many projects, certainly, but the true winners in all this are obviously the Kickstarter founders themselves. They already seem to have a monopoly on the all thing. Let's hope it won't restraint opportunities and that other efficient structures and ways of getting crowdfunded will appear, so that it stays as open and true as possible.
Only Indiegogo can contend with Kickstarter, mostly because was one of the first, paradoxically it benefited a lot from the Kickstarter boom.

Bulba

Learned
well, goodwill has some questionable spiritul value (as if total fuck ups would prevent dev from saying we realize the error of our ways, person A is responsible and has been crusified, plz forgive us and throw more moneey plz plz plz. we ALL know it WILLL work), but the game has been prefinanced and if no presonal money involved = 0 financial risk. Actrualy all kickstarters that invole no selffunding are already a commercial success no matter what happens (even if it's realeased in pre alpha state and 1 extra copy sold = profit, considering all kickstarter money were spent).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not only the interview is very obvious and done to death, but the photography is horrible, it has a worse "FOV" than console games... and that goodamn editing with that HORRIBLE music way to high!

Kirtai

Augur
To start with, I actually thought he was going to fall backwards into that shelf behind him, the camera was so close.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was pretty bad, with obvious flaws already mentioned in posts above and absolutely no new information. Waste of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom