Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Shadowrun Returns Interview at VG24/7

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Shadowrun Returns

VG24/7 offers a short "narrative interview" with Jordan Weisman about Shadowrun Returns, discussing the "tabletop vibe" of the game, as well as the editor, lack of hand-holding, and open-ended gameplay. Have a snippet:

“Call it respect for the audience or call it old-school gamer mentality but we’re honestly not hand-holding people through a bunch of training on the mechanics,” he said. “Once upon a time, there was fun in exploring and experimenting. We hope to give players enough info to get them rolling and understanding the basics.”

Watching the team’s alpha gameplay demo made it clear that combat will take an open-ended approach. There is great scope to adapt to threats the way you feel is best. Do you take a frontal assault approach and stick your team to cover, or do you try hacking and using alternate routes to gain the upper hand?

The possibilities are vast, and Weisman explained that by combining skills and character types you can really hit your enemies hard, “Our mindset is that you don’t need to balance your team’s skills but there are certainly benefits in doing so. For example, a Street Samurai might have a decent chance of hitting an enemy but if the enemy were slowed by a spell, he would be at a greater advantage.

“Then a Decker might be able to hack the building’s defences and take control of their weapon turrets allowing a Rigger to manoeuvre his drone into an alcove to retrieve a lab specimen while taking minimal damage.”

While the gameplay mechanics are complex, Weisman’s team wanted to ensure there was a strong ‘around the table’ vibe flowing throughout Shadowrun Returns, as a way of capturing the pen and paper vibe of tabletop role-playing. I asked him if it was a tricky aesthetic to capture in a game setting.

“As for the ‘around the table vibe’ that we’ve talked about – that’s something we’ve played with and yes, it’s tricky,” he confirmed. “For awhile, we toyed with the voice of the Game Master talking directly to you and telling you to do a skill check. We also thought about showing dice rolls.

“Ultimately, we decided that it would be interesting but not necessarily compelling or immersive. However, when we release our editor, player-GMs can try this type of experiment out for themselves. Who knows, they may hit on the right way to do it.”

[...] “We approached the design of the story and individual runs the way we used to approach our tabletop gaming sessions by asking, What is the player trying to do here? How will players learn the info they need to learn? What obstacles/resistance/puzzles would be fun here?

“Yes, it’s tricky and it’s challenging, and it’s different from how a lot of computer role-playing games approach development. But from the beginning, we weren’t trying to create a standard CRPG with the look and feel of Shadowrun. We were trying to make a tactical-RPG that felt like the Shadowrun tabletop game, influenced by the SNES and SEGA games”.​

Full article here.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Even with the DRM and DLC shenanigans, I think this game is gonna be great.

KithKanan

Novice
Slipped quietly in at the end is
...the game launches worldwide on June 26.

This is the first time I can remember hearing a specific date besides just "June". Was that somewhere before and I just missed it?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
“You’ve been hired by a woman to find out who killed her brother and ‘deal’ with them. Along the way, you’ll have to navigate corrupt cops, mega-corporations, body part peddlers, and ancient … OK that’s enough.”

This is mildly interesting especially if it doesn't turn in another save the world. And if it does, I just hope they go for something subtle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There will be much to consider, but Weisman stressed the game still won’t hold your hand.
Except for the mandatory quest compass.
“Call it respect for the audience or call it old-school gamer mentality but we’re honestly not hand-holding people through a bunch of training on the mechanics,” he said. “Once upon a time, there was fun in exploring and experimenting. We hope to give players enough info to get them rolling and understanding the basics.”
I hope they're not using that as an excuse for a lack of transparency. Not being transparent about how things work is stupid.
For awhile, we toyed with the voice of the Game Master talking directly to you and telling you to do a skill check
Sounds super-obnoxious, an idea I'd dismiss immediately. Yet they "toyed" around with it "for a while."
We also thought about showing dice rolls.
I'm sure the lack of a combat log is going to be deeply upsetting to some people. I like seeing those numbers but tbqh I don't really care.

Ultimately, we decided that it would be interesting but not necessarily compelling or immersive.
I hope this doesn't mean they removed the "stat x" from dialogue. If so, I'm going to have to look through all of them in the toolset. :M

Huh looks like the article writer originally pegged the release date for June 26th but changed it to "later this year." Made-up or jumping the gun? The last possible week of June sounds about right.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For awhile, we toyed with the voice of the Game Master talking directly to you and telling you to do a skill check
Sounds super-obnoxious, an idea I'd dismiss immediately. Yet they "toyed" around with it "for a while."
Sounds like Bastion which was popular pretty much entirely because of the narration.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh God, I hope Roguey isn't right about transparancy. We have enough indie RPGs with shitty documentation, please don't make this one of them. Oldschool also means good manuals.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I haven't been following this that closely, what's the deal with the DLC on this? Is it really going to be core content that's cut out of the game and sold off as a profit scheme because they didn't want to price the base game at $40ish or will the base game play just fine on its own with the DLC being acceptable 'expansion' content?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I haven't been following this that closely, what's the deal with the DLC on this? Is it really going to be core content that's cut out of the game and sold off as a profit scheme because they didn't want to price the base game at $40ish or will the base game play just fine on its own with the DLC being acceptable 'expansion' content?

During the Kickstarter, one of the goals was to add a 2nd larger city Berlin. But due to the time for making the base game and toolset they said they wanted to do the 2nd city right and have a lot of time to focus on it and just do it as a FREE DLC (for backers). And the backers were all fine with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
  • Berlin Campaign (new campaigns also allow you to build with an expanded set of tiles)
  • Map Packs (new terrain tiles and props for you to use in your own campaigns)
  • All New Shadowrun Stories (created by HBS)
  • Additional Outfits and Portraits for your character
Some expansion, some cosmetic nickel and dime stuff.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
n Campaign (new campaigns also allow you to build with an expanded set of tiles)

Do you have a source for that?

tuluse

Arcane
Reading between the lines, I think they're going for a more modular setup. So they'll be various missions you can play that will not be very related to one another. We'll see how it goes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Excuse me, I should have specified:

First release of a KS game I gave a shit about/gave potato to.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
  • Berlin Campaign (new campaigns also allow you to build with an expanded set of tiles)
Some expansion, some cosmetic nickel and dime stuff.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom