Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Hoping To Make A New Star Wars Game With EA

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Electronic Arts; Obsidian Entertainment

With recent news of EA sealing a deal with Disney to make future Star Wars games (from developers DICE, Visceral and BioWare) Obsidian are hoping to make a new Star Wars game with EA as well reports Rock Paper Shotgun:

You’ll remember, however, that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II developer Obsidian also has a rather ambitious idea floating around, and – last we heard – it was about to lay it before the greatest Sith Lord of them all: Mickey Mouse. So then, what happened there? And where does Obsidian’s new Star Wars RPG end up now that EA’s pulling the strings? I got in touch with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart to find out.​

“As for Disney, we didn’t end up talking with them directly, since we were waiting to see what might happen with the license as a whole,” Urquhart explained to RPS.​

Now, however, all the pieces have fallen into place, and Urquhart’s ready to see if there’s room for Obsidian in EA’s master plan.​

“We are certainly going to try,” he said. “We would love to work on another Star Wars game, and if it was possible for us to hook up with BioWare and EA to do so, that would be pretty amazing.”​

Read the full article here.

Random

Arcane
Patron
On one hand, more contracts for Obsidian means more money means more games, but on the other hand, it's EA. Sorry Obsidian, I really think you'd be better off waiting for the license to change hands in 20 years after its been ground into the dirt by EA and its cronies.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Regardless of EA as a publisher, I really doubt this is going to happen. They have Bioware already and it's going to be more than a hard sell to EA exces.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They could in theory, attempt their own Star Wars game via Kickstarter (and paying Disney to use the Licence) and doing some kind of low budget Star Wars game, but it would be logical to try the EA route first for a larger ambitious project

I'd assume they would be trying to do a KotOR like game but set within the time of Episodes III and IV (as mentioned above, of which MCA has already done the story/idea for it). I'd like that.

Will be interesting to (eventually) hear what happens.... if anything at all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Regardless of EA as a publisher, I really doubt this is going to happen. They have Bioware already and it's going to be more than a hard sell to EA exces.

All the BioWare divisions are already on projects, and one of them is a Star Wars game (the original ME team is on a MYSTARY Project, which is possibly the Star Wars one). And EA is already funding the other Star Wars games from DICE and Visceral. So why not another one?

Lancehead

Liturgist
The one reason I'd like Obsidian to get this project (despite EA) is if MCA can get his hands on it and write something as good as KotOR II/Kreia.

handup

Educated
They could in theory, attempt their own Star Wars game via Kickstarter (and paying Disney to use the Licence) and doing some kind of low budget Star Wars game, but it would be logical to try the EA route first for a larger ambitious project

I'd much rather they continued to develop their own IPs on kickstarter, honestly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd much rather they continued to develop their own IPs on kickstarter, honestly.

As would most people, but because of their size, Obsidian needs Publisher funded games to pay their bills and stay alive.

But they can always use Kickstarter to do those smaller projects they really like to do. And I do hope they do another one.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They could in theory, attempt their own Star Wars game via Kickstarter (and paying Disney to use the Licence) and doing some kind of low budget Star Wars game, but it would be logical to try the EA route first for a larger ambitious project.

EA is paying for an exclusive license, so Disney can't let anyone else make a Star Wars game as long as the deal is in effect.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Whatever keeps them alive I guess. They seem more flexible than Biowhore so I doubt they would just sell out like that. Hell, it may not even be that bad! Obsidian's Popamole is actually tolerable.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
-EA
-Disney
-Star Wars

all stuff i used to like when i was 8 / 12
Reading all that stuff in the same thread now, instead, makes me a little bit sick, like, i almost threw up diarrhea.

kaizoku

Arcane
They could in theory, attempt their own Star Wars game via Kickstarter (and paying Disney to use the Licence) and doing some kind of low budget Star Wars game, but it would be logical to try the EA route first for a larger ambitious project.

EA is paying for an exclusive license, so Disney can't let anyone else make a Star Wars game as long as the deal is in effect.

The devil is in the details.
I doubt it doesn't allow outsourcing.

After EA's flop with their SW MMO, they're still going for in-house development?
Haven't they realized they suck?

Anyway, I'd rather have them do a ST game.

9477.jpg
11623.jpg

OH GOD PLEASE CHANGE THAT

zwanzig_zwoelf

Don't forget about the magical 'online component' that is required for all EA games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
True. had that actually worked a lot more smoother instead of the epic disaster, it would probably be standard for EA now.

zwanzig_zwoelf

:roll: Even the new Sims will not have always online.
I was talking about COMPONENT. Like sharing stats, constant tweeting, coop or something like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom