Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News New Version of Open Xcom Out

Mraston

Learned
Tags: open xcom; Xcom

Version 0.9 of Open Xcom is out and fully playable! To be honest I was unaware of the previous 0.8 versions but it's an attempt give you the original Xcom playable on newer OS's minus some of the unnecessary quirks of yore (plus it's free).

There's a big list of the changes from the previous update here.

Now there's no excuse for not having played everyone's favorite 90's squad based alien shooter.

23112010_hi.png

Edit: I didn't really make it clear originally, but it's been pointed out to me you will need a copy (perhaps from Steam) of XCom to play Open Xcom.

From the FAQ:
Q: Is using the original X-Com resources legal?
A: It’s kind of a grey area. I contacted the copyright holders just to be sure but they never replied back, so I’m just playing it safe like every other remake.
The code is completely new and none of the copyrighted files are actually included with the project, players need their own copy of X-Com to get them from, so it should be fine.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hum, wans't aware of it either, but then again, I have a virtual windows 98 machine for all my retro needs. :cool:

Random

Arcane
Patron
Could just buy it on Steam, you can get it as a package with all the other old games and during a Steam sale for cheeaaaaap.

Mraston

Learned
Could just buy it on Steam, you can get it as a package with all the other old games and during a Steam sale for cheeaaaaap.

That's the version I own and it's not too bad, although a little dinky. This one is FREE though!

Lorica

Educated
You need a copy of X-Com to play it, actually.

EDIT:

From the OpenXcom FAQ:
A: It’s kind of a grey area. I contacted the copyright holders just to be sure but they never replied back, so I’m just playing it safe like every other remake.
The code is completely new and none of the copyrighted files are actually included with the project, players need their own copy of X-Com to get them from, so it should be fine.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead of making remakes, open source versions and other clones of UFO/X-COM, I wish someone finally created a game that improves upon the original (in before Terror From the Deep - does not qualify).
It has been over 20 years, computing power of PCs is now gajillion times more than it was then, and still this is the peak achievement of the genre? Fucking decline.

Mraston

Learned
You need a copy of X-Com to play it, actually.

EDIT:

From the OpenXcom FAQ:

Thanks, I didn't see this.

I've updated the original news post to reflect this.

Instead of making remakes, open source versions and other clones of UFO/X-COM, I wish someone finally created a game that improves upon the original (in before Terror From the Deep - does not qualify).
It has been over 20 years, computing power of PCs is now gajillion times more than it was then, and still this is the peak achievement of the genre? Fucking decline.

I agree, maybe if the whole 3d thing didn't happen we would be living in some sort of gaming utopia. Oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom