Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian's Next-gen Title "Already Looking Great", South Park Still on Track for 2013

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth

There have been some reports lately about Obsidian's new, yet unannounced next-gen title currently in the works, as well as about South Park: The Stick of Truth, recently bought by Ubisoft at the THQ action, still being on track for a 2013 release. Eurogamer has a nice summary:

There's definitely something big in the works at Obsidian beyond South Park and Project Eternity, and "it is already looking great", studio CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email overnight.

It's not surprising, really, that a studio numbering "around 100" people (115 if you count them all on LinkedIn) should be making something else. Only 15 people make Project Eternity and that team won't get too much bigger, and South Park: The Stick of Truth should be pretty much finished.

Before Ubisoft bought South Park from THQ, the game had a March 2013 release date. It slipped off the radar during the acquisition, which I suppose it would while Ubisoft took stock, and this morning the official line as supplied to me by a spokesperson was: "The game is in development and is scheduled for calendar year 2013."

According to Obsidian's job vacancies (noticed yesterday by OXM), that 'something big' in development is a "unique next-generation game" or an "unannounced next-gen console title", depending on which advert you read. But the revelation of Obsidian working on next-gen console games isn't particularly surprising either - I expect most developers of its kind now are.

The recent job adverts weren't particularly revealing, although one mentioned "role-playing" and "action" in the same sentence. But, again, the idea of a next-gen console RPG containing action bits is about as likely to raise an eyebrow as I am wearing a dress. [...]

What is interesting, though, is the question of whether Obsidian's working on new IP or not - but it's a question Feargus Urquhart dodged when I asked it.

"Unfortunately, we can't really talk about what we are working on, but it is already looking great," was what he wrote.

"As for the number of people at the studio, it's safe to say we are around 100. As for the split of people, we do have around 15 people working on Project Eternity and that will go up by a few in the few months.

"As for the other projects, it's a bit more complicated to explain exactly how many people we have on one project versus another."

What could Obsidian be up to, then?​

The article then goes on to speculate about a KOTOR 3, an Alpha Protocol 2, a Wheel of Time RPG, or an original IP (which wouldn't be fantasy because there's already Project Eternity and which wouldn't be modern-day because there's already Alpha Protocol, according to the article).

zwanzig_zwoelf

If Alpha Protocol 2 - that's good.
If KOTOR 3 - very good.
If anything else - alright, we'll see.
If console exclusive... well, fuck.

Duraframe300

Arcane
In before Eurogamer's speculations turning out to be bullshit. Duraframe300 Have you anything to add?

Well, it's not 115, because that number shown is shit, it's always fluctuating. You get an accurate one, if you click on the search. Which puts them at 111 (It's also how I find out if someone new joined, since I don't have premium)

Also, its most likely not any of the possibilites mentioned (With most of them being really stupid gaming journalism, considering its been mentioned they're not or not yet working on them)

The biggest bullshit about these articles though, that it's been REGULARY mentioned by Feargus & Co, that a new title is in development (including that its next-gen). Which you would find out spending the least amount of effort researching (literary visiting the developers forum) Yet those morons act like its some sort of big reveal and copy off each without giving a fuck.

Fucking gaming journalism.

Duraframe300

Arcane
To give two actual reasons though

1. It's not Alpha Protocol or KOTOR III because both titles have been mentioned since and this project has been signed in december. More specific: Alpha Protocol was mentioned in a negative light multiple times and while they would love to do it it's up to SEGA. KOTORIII it isn't, because Obsidian has already been pitiching something else they even talked about (Remember the RPS article?), not to mention LucasArts closure.

2. It's most likely not Wheel of Time, because again. They have been working on this since after their last project was revelead and signed the contract in december. During this time, it was also mentioned, but in a negative light and not in development. Though, it's still *possible* I guess.

Remembering that Kotaku article (personally) I still think it's highly likely that WB is the publisher.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Likely a new IP since it mentions "unique next-generation game". Wonder if they own the IP, if that's the case.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Likely a new IP since it mentions "unique next-generation game". Wonder if they own the IP, if that's the case.

Would surprise me (the own the IP part). This was a replacement project after last year's cancellation.

And also another reason it is not KOTOR. The Art Director bought blueprints for the game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They were only hired for consulting for Wheel of Time. Not to make the actual game.

Actually they were exactly hired for that. According to the original proposal Red Eagle would have done creative stuff and Obsidian would have done the grunt work.

BobtheTree

Savant
A new KotOR would be awesome, but would they be talking about it this early on if they had made a deal with Disney to use the Star Wars license. It just seems a bit too fast for them to talk about a AAA next gen title after the shift in power. Although...maybe they've been working on it already with LucasArts and Disney liked the look of the game.

Ehh, better stop my wild speculation before I start talking in endless circles.

Duraframe300

Arcane
A new KotOR would be awesome, but would they be talking about it this early on if they had made a deal with Disney to use the Star Wars license. It just seems a bit too fast for them to talk about a AAA next gen title after the shift in power. Although...maybe they've been working on it already with LucasArts and Disney liked the look of the game.

Ehh, better stop my wild speculation before I start talking in endless circles.

It's not, again. This is the same project, they talked about having signed in december. Not a new one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Duraframe300

Arcane

:x FFS Obsidian, when will you settle and learn ! Jumping from one gameplay formula to the next without without giving you the time to properly master any of them !

Normally I'd agree with this, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.

It doesn't and it won't.

Bet you on it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Normally I'd agree with this, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.

I dunno man, neither Skyrim nor Witcher 2 had action that's actually good, yet they sold just fine.

Which of the AAA games even had action that's actually good by the way? I don't recall any.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom