Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Funding Update: Final Stretch Goal Reached

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brother None; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

An update on the official Torment Tumblr brings good news:

Hello Forgotten Ones,​

We’ve been having a good run at the final stretch goal and saw some real spikes and increased activity far beyond what we’d normally expect from our PayPal pledges at this stage. Thanks to all of you for your effort in rallying to the cause! However, it’s looking really unlikely we’ll make the $4.5M stretch goal, with our current PayPal total being $239,438, which means our total money raised so far is $4,428,365, with only two days left to reach the stretch goal.​

But! Our percentage of dropped pledges was way below our estimates, proving yet again that you guys rock! As you may recall, our Lead Tormenter Brian Fargo and superfan Steven Dengler matched pledges between $1M and $3M, adding a total of $200K. That money was set aside primarily against failed pledges, but because of your dedication, we can apply enough of it toward our budget – combined with the PayPal totals – so as to have reached $4.5 million.​

Which means? We made it! Because you guys are so awesome (and because Fargo and Dengler are so awesome) we can implement every single one of our stretch goals, including not just the player “stronghold” but also our ideas for expanded reactivity, length and depth, pursuing some of our crazier ideas concerning choice and consequence. As we outlined in update 19, while the classic “stronghold” concept might not fit this game the potential is there to do some really interesting things to tie it into our theme of legacy and the unique weirdness of the Ninth World. Colin’s been hard at work hashing out the overall plot as well as resurrecting and moving forward with ideas we had for features such as the stronghold, and he’s come up with some pretty great ones.​

Thanks to all of you, we can now make those ideas happen. Thank you!​

Thomas Beekers
Line Producer​

Woot!

UPDATE: And in related news, those PayPal payments of course include the Codex donation of $5,027.20 after fees:

index.php

index.php

Made in two separate donations for reasons that are explained here.

BobtheTree

Savant
I really don't like the idea of a stronghold/hub in most RPGs, but we'll see what they do. Hoping they write it to be an interesting place that actually serves a function.

:love:

I unfortunately had little spare money this month but I'm really happy for InXile. It's great to see, well, the potential reaching the full potential :bravo:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just think of it: accessing the maze of reflections several times during the story...

MCA
It's not just the stronghold substitute but also "expanded reactivity, length and depth, pursuing some of [our] crazier ideas concerning choice and consequence" which matters far more than stronghold substitute.

So... Fucking A!

This is the game I've been waiting for all these years, not some combat oriented modern successor to BG/IWD shit and hopefully, they will be able to pull it off. At any rate, I expect it to be an interesting RPG full of weirdness and that alone elevates it far above however PE might turn out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not just the stronghold substitute but also "expanded reactivity, length and depth, pursuing some of [our] crazier ideas concerning choice and consequence" which matters far more than stronghold substitute.

So... Fucking A!

This is the game I've been waiting for all these years, not some combat oriented modern successor to BG/IWD shit and hopefully, they will be able to pull it off. At any rate, I expect it to be an interesting RPG full of weirdness and that alone elevates it far above however PE might turn out.

Ah, I see that your Turkish alter ego donated to our fundraiser at the last minute. Troll post withdrawn.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can all shove your stronghold up your asses.
I hope it turns to shit so you can have what to bitch about opposed to an otherwise perfect game Fargo will squirt out.

Infantile

Zeriel

Arcane
It amazes me the hate people have for some bulletpoint feature that some people will enjoy, and some don't care about. Even if you don't like the idea of a stronghold, you do realize that that cash will almost inevitably go towards improving other parts of the game too, right? And it kind of suggests an utter lack of faith in the Torment team that you think they somehow can't implement stronghold mechanics in a way that would fit the themes of the setting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I want an airship stronghold. Gimme an airship, inXile.

It would certainly be in keeping with the idea of Torment as a bizarro Western take on the Final Fantasy series.

Airship would be pretty explicit though. The cutscene spells in PS:T had plausible deniability... maybe. Not really. Nevermind.

Heh, it was more than just the spells. People might not realize this but the idea of "themed" companions with an exclusive weapon type was pretty unusual for a Western RPG back then. As was the sheer depth of said companions, before Bioware went and made that a thing.

Gozma

Arcane
I actually got a JRPG villain vibe from the villain in BG2 with the detailed sympathetic backstory and the general method of using him in storytelling. I dunno how much you can separate conscious homage from Infinity Engine developers considering JRPG stuff as new best practices.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want a tank/moving fortress that can travel in time! It travels to another age/world and change accordingly everytime you dismiss it. Also brings us some gifts time to time, like passengers and artifacts.

1335881917232.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom