Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 191: Neal Hallford's Early Days

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Matt Barton; Neal Hallford; New World Computing; Planet's Edge

The latest episode of Matt Chat is a 40 minute interview with Betrayal at Krondor writer Neal Hallford, the first of a series. As you might expect, this episode covers Neal's beginnings in the gaming industry, from his time as a radio scriptwriter and roleplaying enthusiast up to his early work at New World Computing. The interview makes reference to Chris Taylor's ill-fated Wildman project, so I assume it was actually recorded months ago. How long is your backlog, Mr. Barton?

Don't forget to check out Neal's Kickstarter if you haven't already.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This interview reminded me that I ought to ask George Ziets if he'd seen/read Neal's own Dungeon Siege bible. Let's see if he responds on Formspring.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
nealiios

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/453227710416707608

CaOTs7K.png

Dungeon Siege - we never knew ye!

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
"For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground And tell sad stories of the death of kings..." --- Billy Shakespeare

As I told people during the Wildman campaign, Chris and I had talked about doing a Dungeon Siege novel way back during the development of DS I, and I'd even started writing a series of interlinked short stories called The Tales of the 10th Legion. Whenever I got hired full time as the Lead Designer at Rapid Eye Entertainment here in San Diego (all the work I'd done for DS was done long distance as a contractor), I didn't have time to do DS II or even to contemplate the book, so that project got set by the wayside (As it was, I was writing in the Everquest universe for two different games at the same time, so there were only so many stories I could tell all at once. :) )

Whenever Chris and I started talking about Wildman, he proposed that I write a tie-in novel for the project which would be used as a basis for the game lore. That's what shifted me into novel-writting mode. I had already planned to spend a year creating the Wildman book, and when that project didn't fund, it didn't shut down the fact that I'd already started thinking about a long form narrative. I thought what the hell, why not get around to telling a story that I'd started work on twenty years ago? I knew the main character, I knew the basic idea of the story, I just needed the time to build the universe, create the new plot, then spend eight months banging the thing out. If nothing else it'd get the damn thing out of my dreams and I could concentrate on my numerous other creative projects. So thus, the current Kickstarter for "The Thief of Dreams."

I would LOVE to do the Dungeon Siege Legions novel that Chris and I talked about back in 2001, but unfortunately the IP is no longer in Gas Powered Games' hands. All I would have needed to have done with GPG was talk to Chris, we'd have signed some papers, and then off I would have gone. We have that kind of trust in each other, and that kind of a working relationship. But now that the rights are in the hands of Square, I can't really touch it without having to go pay them for the rights to create a book in a universe I created. (Here is your warning for why working-for-hire sucks. You create stuff that you don't get to own, and it can get sold away from you.) So for the time being I either have to wait for Square to decide that they want me to write a novel in my own universe (not holding my breath), or something really catastrophic happens and the license somehow ends up in the hands of people who are willing to give me back the narrative keys to my universe. Neither is likely to happen anytime soon, if ever. It's just the dysfunctional way that corporations and IPs work.

All of this said, there are elements of the tales of the Great Legion War that I'm working into the backhistory of Thief. If you look at the map of the Callendian Kingdoms, there's a mighty big hint regarding that. If all goes well and Thief is successful, I might go back and write the "prequel" novels that delve into that history, but first I have to, have to, HAVE to get "The Thief of Dreams" done. I really can't write another novel before this one. tToD has been waiting in the wings for 20 + years now, and I've got the clearest vision of what that story will be. And to be honest, I've got a much larger base of fans who know and love Betrayal at Krondor for the story because story was front in center in BAK. You couldn't miss it. You SAW every bit of the story I created for that game. Dungeon Siege was envisioned as a very different kind of title, and we were telling the story in a very stripped down, minimalistic way. It wasn't made for the same kind of players as BAK. If you paid attention, and put the pieces together, you COULD make out the deeper story, but the emphasis was placed on action. Kill lots and lots of monsters very fast, keep moving, keep pushing, keep doing whatever you're doing without stopping for long bits of narrative or dialogue. That's just what the ARPG genre is all about. It's RPGs for people with ADD. Now if I'd been able to stick with GPG, you'd eventually have seen the grand arc of what was told in the old DS bible. We were going to back to the Empire of the Stars. We were going to meet the mad Emperor. We were going to see the great War of the Legions. We were going to learn what the hell happened with the Seck and see how seeds of the violence in Ehb had been a very, very long time in coming. So many possibilities. Unfortunately before DS II went into production there was a significant time gap and GPG didn't have any work available for me for a bit. I needed a gig, so I took the Lead Designer gig at RE...and the rest is history.

In any case, I appreciate all the enthusiasm some of you have shown me over the years for my stories, and I'd really like the opportunity now to write the full-fledged novel that I've been building up to for literally two decades. I know the economy is crap -- it's tough for everyone right now -- so I'm not asking you to pledge if you don't have the dinars. If all you can do is share or tweet to your friends about the book, that's still a huge favor to me because your friends care more about why you want to see the book than anything I have to say on the subject.

If somehow you've missed links to the campaign, here it is again, for your perusal.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nealhallford/the-thief-of-dreams-from-the-writer-of-betrayal-at
Thanks again,
Neal

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
So if this doesn't work and you don't get the money then what happens?

To be honest, I really don't know. The purpose of the Kickstarter is to buy me a significant chunk of uninterrupted time so that I can focus my concentration on this project. With that time, I should be able to knock the book out in 8-10 months, though I'm not promising anything for at least a year because it's my first novel. (It's not my first book - I have two non-fiction titles already on the market - but the challenges of writing a fantasy novel are different enough that I'm figuring in some "oh crap I did that wrong and I've got to fix it" time). WITHOUT that dedicated time, it's much harder to say what might happen. Betrayal at Krondor, with my full, undivided attention, took a year to write. I'm a little faster, and a little better writer than I was twenty years ago, but I'm also building everything from absolute scratch this time around.

Some people can just sit down and just start writing stuff, and they're happy with what they get. For me, I've got Satan as a literary critic sitting on my shoulder at all times. I usually have to write for at least an hour before he shuts up long enough that I can finally find a groove. So I write for an hour or two...then I hit something where I have to do research. What's the range of a longbow? Are we talking English longbows or Welsh longbows? In this scene where I've got someone getting ready to get on a boat, how do the people on the planet calculate the tides on a planet that has three moons? Is it even possible to be calculated? And so I'm looking up stuff in books, and online, and e-mailing my friends who are anthropologists, and chemists, and astronomers, and other kinds of experts. Sometimes the answers don't exist, and I have to stop and do some worldbuilding. And that always has consequences. There's a staff that you can use to tell if someone is lying. Awesome. How does that affect the world? Is truth staff data admissable in a royal court? Is in infalliable? Can it be altered or tricked? If so and why? Do I have to rewrite the last three chapters to account for the fact that the character's been holding the damn thing during the whole adventure? And lo and behold it's three hours later, and the five hours you've allotted to writing has produced maybe two hours of ACTUAL words on a page. And this is why a fantasy novel is fundamentally different than knocking out a romance novel, or writing a the latest court room thriller. With fantasy/sf, you're rebuilding the rules of how and why things work, and it's HUGELY time consuming. If I were to have to try and break that process up to five minutes here, fifteen minutes there, it would take me literally forever to get anything done I was satisfied with. I'd be too scattered, and I'd lose track of what I'd been trying to say before. A novel I'd allotted to write in eight months might take me two years, five years, a decade to write. Since this is the first novel, hard to say what actually would happen there.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Well obviously I'd be happier if the totals were higher, but we've still got a week and a half to go, and there are a couple of large media outlets who have promised coverage for us, plus I've been promised some air support from a few of the bigger league game developers towards the end of the campaign, so in the immortal words of Monty Python "I'm not dead yet." :) Just continue telling your friends about the campaign please, and I'm going to do what I can on my end of things to improve our visibility.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I would share it if I knew anyone interested but unfortunately I don't. I wish you the best of luck. Also I just jumped on Dungeon Siege to read the books I gathered so far. Pretty good but I haven't gathered them all so I can only go up to as far as the 6 hours I've played. Haven't played Betrayal at Krondor unfortunately.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
[...] I just jumped on Dungeon Siege to read the books I gathered so far. Pretty good but I haven't gathered them all so I can only go up to as far as the 6 hours I've played. Haven't played Betrayal at Krondor unfortunately.

:hmmm: You are doing it wrong, bro.
Well my family's owned Dungeon Siege for years now. I never played Betrayal at Krondor because my family never bought it. It's only thanks to joining the codex that I've found out about most of the old great RPGs. I'll get it when I have a chance to.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I have no spare money. I know it's on GOG. I've added it to my wishlist to keep track of it. When I have spare money I'll get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom