Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Neverwinter Nights Retrospective Interview at RPGWatch

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Bob McCabe; Neverwinter Nights

RPGWatch's Lucky Day has interviewed Bob McCabe, one of the designers on BioWare's Neverwinter Nights (2002). Here's a snippet:

Lucky Day: Tell us who you are and what your role was on Neverwinter Nights.

Bob McCabe: My name is Bob McCabe and I was the first designer BioWare hired onto the Neverwinter Nights project. I was the first new designer, but of course Rob Bartel was already in place as the lead designer, and there was also a core design team who had laid down the foundation and which was comprised of such people as Trent Oster (producer), James Ohlen (design director), Scott Grieg (lead programmer), and Marc Holmes (art director). Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk were also always involved, and probably some others. But hopefully I'm not forgetting too many of those others.

LD: What did you work on with Neverwinter Nights?

Bob: Being on a small design team - the senior guys were all getting Baldur's Gate II finished - meant that I did a lot of different things. I worked on the design document, helped concept and develop systems and missions and characters, wrote item descriptions and dialogue, worked with Marketing/PR to edit interviews, demo at E3, and write content like the Fenthick Moss Adventure Creation Guides that were over at GameSpy, and worked with the tools team to ensure the design team had everything it needed from the various editors like the dialogue editor. I was also on the QA team at the end of the project. But I would say the majority of my time was spent designing modules for the game, as well as implementing content once the tools were available. I think I wrote half of the implementation plans for chapters 1 and 2, and close to all of them for chapters 3 and 4.

LD: How did you feel when the story was cut?

Bob: From memory, I think it was in the fall of the last year of development when it was "scrapped". October? November? And I remember being really disappointed at the change. Was it scrapped as part of a settlement? Again, I'm not completely sure. I know there were internal expectations of quality that I believe we may not have been meeting, and there may have been publisher/legal-related issues, too. I can't say one way or the other, because I don't fully know. And I don't remember too many people at that time wanting to talk about it. It was a fair bit of uncertainty. I was surprised by the chaos, but I was learning a lot as we went through the process.

LD: What do you mean expectations of quality?

Bob: The majority of the design team was very junior - though I felt very comfortably surrounded by talented people. Like I said, Rob was the lead, and he had experience with stuff like Tales of the Sword Coast, and maybe some BG1/BG2/MDK2. After I was hired, BioWare brought on two more designers. A month after me, the studio hired Preston Watamaniuk, and a month after him they hired Aidan Scanlan. People probably know their names much better than mine; Preston was the lead designer for Mass Effect, and Aidan is the assistant design director at the Edmonton studio.

While the team was fairly young, and while we may not have done everything the way we'd have done it now, I remain very proud of the final product. I know we all do. And I want to emphasize that we weren't working in a vacuum. As Baldur's Gate II wound down, guys like Kevin Martens and Brent Knowles and Lukas Kristjanson all came aboard to help and push the design. We all put our stamps on the game.​

Read the full interview here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's not sure why the story was cut? Why is this still a fucking mystery? It's been over a decade! Bioware gonna Bioware, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, I'm pretty sure this Bob McCabe guy is a Codex lurker or something, because he's liked a lot of posts on Codex's Facebook page, and also on Iron Tower Studio's page.

Such a difference in mentality between the guys whose main contribution was around the BG2/NWN era, compared to what came after. He pretty much admits (to the extent that it's possible to do so in the software industry and still get a job) that they screwed the single player game and that he and others (who would have been comparing it to BG2, which was being finished at the same time) were disappointed with how it turned out, whilst also being proud of the tools/player-built-content/persistent-worlds that they made possible.

These days too many Bioware designers seem to get offended at the mere suggestion that their products can have design weaknesses, let alone that they may have screwed up an entire section of the game.

Not to mention, as much as the Biodocs might have always wanted to be able to make a 'cinematic experience' with simplistic game mechanics, there'd have to have been a lot of guys who signed up during or after BG2 thinking that they were going to then take that kind of game up to the next level (more options, cleverer mechanics, better area design etc), only to feel screwed over when the company's product did a u-turn.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think the fact that the project was stuffed full of junior designers is really obvious... simplistic quest design, simplistic story, lots of copy-paste filler everywhere. Interesting to see an inside look into this game, especially one that isn't completely full of back-patting. And somehow I sort of get the sense that the "I don't know" answer as to why the cuts to the campaign happened is less because he doesn't know and more because he can't talk about it, or doesn't want to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think the fact that the project was stuffed full of junior designers is really obvious... simplistic quest design, simplistic story, lots of copy-paste filler everywhere. Interesting to see an inside look into this game, especially one that isn't completely full of back-patting. And somehow I sort of get the sense that the "I don't know" answer as to why the cuts to the campaign happened is less because he doesn't know and more because he can't talk about it, or doesn't want to.

The man's no longer in the gaming industry (he teaches game design at a college now) and it's been over a decade. Surely it can't have been that traumatic.

To me it sounds like they had an ambitious design, but failed miserably at execution. Threatened with publisher interference, the BG2 team had to step in and try to salvage what they could of the campaign.

Kind of similar to what happened with NWN2, now that I think of it, with Josh Sawyer taking the place of the BG2 team.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Game was doomed at voiceover + "Waterdhavian creatures" anyway.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

The man's no longer in the gaming industry (he teaches game design at a college now) and it's been over a decade. Surely it can't have been that traumatic.

To me it sounds like they had an ambitious design, but failed miserably at execution. Threatened with publisher interference, the BG2 team had to step in and try to salvage what they could of the campaign.

Kind of similar to what happened with NWN2, now that I think of it, with Josh Sawyer taking the place of the BG2 team.

Yeah, I took his description to mean that he was a junior level employee and too low on the totem pole to be privy to the management level discussions leading to the decision.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN = BEST GAME EVAR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom