Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #16: Pickpocketing and Feats Changes

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Styg has posted another development update for his isometric turn-based RPG Underrail, which all of you should support on Steam Greenlight. You can also preorder Underrail on Desura or on GamersGate and gain immediate access to the latest alpha version of the game.

Anyway, about that update. Here's the excerpt regarding pickpocketing:

(Click for larger resolution)

First of all I revamped the pickpocketing mechanics as I promised. The way it works now is that when you are stealing items from an NPC you are filling up their permanent "suspicion meter". If you fill up this meter to the max you will be detected and the combat will ensue. The game will indicate how much stealing a certain item will raise the suspicion meter.

The rate at which you fill this meter will depend on the ratio between your pickpocketing skill and the victim's detection. Since the detection scales off of character's level and perception, this basically means that you'll have to continue investing points in the pickpocketing skill (and ideally dexterity as well) in order to be able to steal (or steal more) from progressively higher level NPCs. Also, some items are harder to steal than others (e.g. heavy weapons and armors in comparison to smaller stuff like ammo and hypos).

The way this system is set up it means that, unlike lockpicking and hacking, the outcome is not binary. Depending on your skill-to-detection ration and the difficulty modifier of the item, you may be able to steal zero, one or more items from a given target. So investing more skill into pickpocketing will always be useful. Because there's no dice involved in the calculations, this will also eliminate the need for save scumming.

Pickpocketing does not require stealth, unless of course you're trying to steal from a hostile NPC.​

Read the update in full for the changes Styg has introduced to feats.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because there's no dice involved in the calculations, this will also eliminate the need for save scumming.
Finally, a game where I will actually use pickpocket.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm too hot for the screenshots and bits of happenstantial info I get from Codexers in general to actually follow this. I await the full game with :love:, unfounded or no. Fuck foreplay!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
good idea that. Linking they larian dudes to this post so they can steal it (but probably won't).

ceics

Novice
Patron
Yes, bring the movies game. Stop going to vacations and finish the game! : x

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wasn't interested in this game before, but now I see it was a mistake. Looks very fallouty.
However, can anyone tell me how good is the writing quality in this?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck foreplay!

I wish I had your restraint. Every time Styg posts a new playable update I load the fucker back up.

However, can anyone tell me how good is the writing quality in this?

It's passable. Lots of awkwardly phrased sentences and grammatical issues. Would be better if Styg responded to offers of help regarding text editing but he doesn't seem to give a shit. Oh well.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't need somebody reporting issues (which I usually do in your thread here) you need an editor or writing help ffs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What is wrong with him focusing on the game mechanics first? The writing is the easy part to change and implement.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
What is wrong with him focusing on the game mechanics first? The writing is the easy part to change and implement.

I don't care which he focuses on first, as long as it doesn't get overlooked. Writing should be as compelling as the gameplay or it will never be a "great" game but simply "good for what it is".

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, editing/proofreading is always crucial. You should consider getting some help with that, Styg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom